Which Truck to buy?

Complete amateur here :blush: .
I’m researching which Truck to buy, I’ll be buying second-hand with a big Hi-Ab, needs to be able to stack a bit of gear on it. I know that this is a laughable specification :slight_smile: to you pro’s but I really don’t know anything about Trucks.
I live in the low emission zone so cannot afford to pay £250 to go into London or anything like that :smiling_imp: . I am amazed at the lack of information regarding the ‘low emission zone’. From what I gather they need to be newer than 2005 is this correct? I think it has been discarded until 2011 or 2012 but I’m concerned about long-term.
I will not be using it too often so it does not need to be top-notch dream machine, I just want something reliable and will do the job. Budget is around £10,000 if I really tried I could stretch to around £12,-15 but ideally it would be less than 10 because I will not be using it often. What would the tax be on a beast like this? Trying to think of everything here gents?
All info is greatly appreciated :smiley: .

they will need more info on here mate, :slight_smile:

what type of truck do you want
what licence do you have
how much weight do you want to carry etc etc

Well, basically you aren’t buying a lorry, you are buying a Hi-ab which has a lorry attached to it in and so pretty much anything will fit the bill. Have a look at the “For Sale” ads in Commercial Motor to get an idea of prices, though you could probably find this info online. It’s a good time to buy any truck, prices are very depressed at the mo.

Dal123:
Budget is around £10,000 if I really tried I could stretch to around £12,-15

well in that case you could buy yourself a BRAND NEW swedish bedford :laughing: ,or a well used but reliable,comfortable daf :grimacing:

have a look here…

clicky

Cheers chaps :smiley: , what about the low emission zone. Very poor information out there regarding this :imp: . I hear that newer than 2005 is ok, but is this true. Do all BEASTS need to pay to enter the low emission zone; with all charges depending on the pollution of your vehicle and how well it has been maintaned.
I cannot afford to make a silly mistake like buy a bargain only for it to have the £200 a day charge :unamused: .
Thanks for input so far :smiley:

Dal123:
what about the low emission zone. Very poor information out there regarding this

hi mate check this out lots of info

tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/

look at ex nato stuff cheap, low mileage

Thanks for that link Del :smiley: , I did come across that earlier and unless I’m missing something it really doesn’t give much information unless you have bought the vehicle, of course you could perform these checks before buying but it’s a bit tedious and by the time I’ve performed these checks a bargain would be sold :frowning: .
Obviously this Low emission zone is a con, but they really are taking the mick I think :imp: .
Like previously mentioned I might be missing some vital piece of info. But not trying to condemn your link Del, thank-you for your input :smiley: .

williemac:
look at ex nato stuff cheap, low mileage

Thanks willie any ideas where? :smiley:

Try Honeypot Lane, South Witham, it’s a place just south of Colsterworth in Lincolnshire, they do a lot of EX MOD stuff even tanks!!!
Google MOD Honeypot lane…and it will come up.

Thanks deepinvent welll appreciated :smiley: .

Dal123:
Cheers chaps :smiley: , what about the low emission zone. Very poor information out there regarding this :imp: . I hear that newer than 2005 is ok, but is this true. Do all BEASTS need to pay to enter the low emission zone; with all charges depending on the pollution of your vehicle and how well it has been maintaned.
I cannot afford to make a silly mistake like buy a bargain only for it to have the £200 a day charge :unamused: .
Thanks for input so far :smiley:

If you look at the LEZ website it says LGV’s on a 56 plate or above will be deemed acceptable to go in from Feb 2012, it does’nt say a right lot else in all honesty & they’ve not even re-leased the data as to what emissions will be acceptable. Good luck with your search but I’m pretty sure given your budget it will be next to impossible to find a rigid with a hi-ab on a 56 plate for 10k - 12k. But The Mayor of London Town has binned the need for large vans needing to meet the new emissions standard due to the recession so who knows Bozzer may scrap it for us lot, who needs the aggro of Euro IV anyway. We live in hope. :slight_smile:

Fly sheet

Dal123:
Thanks for that link Del :smiley: , I did come across that earlier and unless I’m missing something it really doesn’t give much information

It gives you all the info you need in deciding if a vehicle you intend to buy will meet the requirements of the LEZ.

If you intend to keep the vehicle into 2012 then make sure any vehicle you are considering meets EURO IV emissions standard. Vehicles first registered from 1st October 2006 are assumed to be Euro IV, so will meet the LEZ emissions standards into 2012.

If you only intend to use the vehicle in the LEZ area until the end of 2011 then make sure it meets EURO III emissions. Vehicles first registered from 1st October 2001 are assumed to be Euro III, so will meet the LEZ emissions standards until the end of 2011.

So, given that you want to operate within the LEZ, you cannot be looking at buying anything older than October 2001 and if you intend to operate it after 2011 then don’t look at anything older than October 2006. You could buy older vehicles and modify them to meet EURO III/EURO IV but that is likely to cost a bit and be a hassle.

Some EURO I and EURO II engines do meet the standard to allow them to operate until the end of 2011 but would then need modifying.

Details HERE

why not get haulier with crane to do jobs

hitch:
why not get haulier with crane to do jobs

I thought that, Less hassle + risk, more hassle having your own, unless your going to hammer it day + night.

Whos going to drive the "beast", whos got the “hi-ab” credentials :astonished: