Wheel balancing

Amongst the fleet of 6 we have, most of them have a wobble at various speeds, from 40 up to 56mph.

I’ve seen 2 types of balancing substance used, one is a cream-coloured powder,the other is a larger pink crystal-like stuff.

The powder was poured in from a cardboard pot, the crystals were contained in a fragile plastic bag that’s supposed to break as you start rolling.

I’ve driven both, and the results of the crystal have been disappointing.
Wobble is sometimes there, sometimes not, i.e. very erratic.

So,my friends, what’s the answer?
Perhaps some of you are as irritated as me by a wheel-wobble?

To add: the trucks are all 2.5 years old or less,with relatively good condition tyres fitted.

Weights the same as the use on smaller vehicles. I am assuming your talking tyre balance problems usually with the cheaper tyres ?

might need laser aligned

alignment & wheel inbalance are 2 entirely seperate things.

Weights the same as the use on smaller vehicles.

Exactly right. ATS and national tyres have balancing machines for truck wheels then they just tap lead weights on to the rims.

quote=“Driveroneuk”]alignment & wheel inbalance are 2 entirely seperate things.
[/quote]

Very true,
but both need checking and adjusting if necessary to cure any respective fault, and that will help to prolong the life span of the tyres and the wear pattern on them.
Any self respecting owner driver knows just how much tyres cost and the more life you can get out of them the better.

incorrect Wheel alignment (tracking) /interaxle alingment / worn(play-in)steering joints / suspension bushes and wheel bearings and drum balance can all have a negative effect on the parameters and steering jeometry causing wobble through the cab steering wheel.

A Competent person could do this and ONLY a Competent person should carry out these repairs as necessary:-

Do these first before alignment and balancing :-

Check wheel bearings and king-pins for wear and play = adjust /replace if necessary and grease well.
Check all steering joints /ball ends for play =replace /adjust as necessary.
Check steering box play = adjust as necessary.
Check steering box fixing bolts to chassis = tighten if loose.
Check all suspension parts pins /bushes etc for wear = replace if necessary and grease all grease points.
Check for anything loose/worn or defective =tighten/replace /adjust if necessary.
Check for damaged parts = replace if necessary.
Check for damage to wheel rims + tyres = replace if necessary.
Check wheel studs and nuts are ok and torqued to correct setting = just do it.
Check brake linings and adjustments + wear and drums/discs for wear /cracks = replace +adjust as necessay.

Now do these:-
Check tyre wear /wear pattern/ lumps/ bumps/ blebs/ tread depth/ correct size + type = replace if necessary.
Remove all stones /debris from tread.
Check tyre pressures for correct inflation = adjust if necessary.

Check inter-axle alignment = laser line and adjust if necessary.
Check steering alignment tracking = adjust if necessary
Check fitted tyre/wheel balance = adjust if necessary.

Wheel/tyre combinations can be balanced off the vehicle = very effective .

But bear in mind that the brake drums /discs come fully balanced when NEW,
they do wear and as time goes on they will become worn and true balance thrown out ( nothing wears equally -).

Check the wheel balance first with complete rim+tyre off the vehicle.
Then fit the wheel back onto the relative hub and tighten nuts/studs,

NOW :-
with vehicle on flat level ground + other wheels safely chocked front and back and with brakes released and properly adjusted and NOT binding :-

While still jacked up — spin the wheel and let it stop of its own accord ~
Stage 1. Now turn that wheel 90 degree rotation , put a chalk mark on tyre at 90` point and see if it spins ?

Stays where it is ■■ :question: = All OK good = carry on as normal. road test time.

Spins round and downwards ? chalk mark now at bottom ■■ :question: = add some wheel rim weights to opposite chalk mark ~ 180 degree point.
REpeat stage 1 till correct amount of balance weight fitted.

Apply hand brake. remove all equipment , make all safe . get shades and …

ROAD TEST TIME :laughing:

All work done should be carried out by a safe Competent person and duly noted for the records

Now there’s a man who does know what he’s talking about!

Trouble is, i think few companies who would be prepared to go to that expense just because the driver complains of a bit of wheel shake.

:sunglasses: i thank you ,
doors duly widened :laughing:

seriously though , majority of all this should be done on the routine inspection and service checks , apart from the alingment and balancing though.
So repairs should be up to date anyway .

Many years ago, I drove a rigid that developed horrendous wheel wobble, I was break dancing at 50mph until I got to 53mph then it dissapeared.
Took it to the tyre people to get the balancing checked, told that it was the kingpins that were worn and until they were sorted, pointless trying to balance the wheels.
So, took it to the workshop, to be told they can’t do the kingpins until the wheels had been balanced.
To and fro for the rest of the day, until I told the workshop that they were just messing me about and to do the job so the wheels could be balanced.

Many years previous to that, I was driving a landrover 1 ton ambulance with a similar problem, the workdshop fitted a new steering damper, no change.
I had told them is was down to tyre wear, but as there was loads of tread, they didn’t agree, so I got my old unit, that had a fleet of 30 of these vehicles, to contact my workshop and advice them. no result.
So I swopped the old front wheels for the spare(new) off that vehicle, and the spare off the other ambulance, problem solved, now can the workshop order two new tyres please.
Not best pleased with a mere medic telling “mechanincs” how to do their job, but these were the same people who when fitting a new exhaust re- routed a plastic pipe, that then melted and caused the diff lock to activate and made the vehicle virtuallly un-steerable due to transmission wind-up.

Driveroneuk:

Trouble is, i think few companies who would be prepared to go to that expense just because the driver complains of a bit of wheel shake.

But if you write excessive vibration in your circle check book every day, they will have to do something about it

Wheel Nut:

Driveroneuk:

But if you write excessive vibration in your circle check book every day, they will have to do something about it

Will they?? New one on me :confused:

gardun:

Will they?? New one on me :confused:
[/quote]

Yes they should do,

so long as It is a reported defect, it should be treated as such .
company records should show action taken and be written to show evidence of defect remedy and action taken,
Vosa would take a very dim view on neglect of maintenance or repairs and record trail evidence as is stipulated on O licence approval.
There is NO excuse for operating a known defective vehicle.