What is wrong with cyclist using pavements?

I was walking home from city centre today (Edinburgh) along a71 and its dual carriageway for best part of three miles , and footpath i was walking on you could comfortably drive a car along , and nobody was on it apart from me and afew other souls . Yet cyclists still chose to cycle along the d/c on the greenways blocking the buses from being on there merry way , then to run the gauntlet going over the roundabouts when they could just go under them using the subways , then after you get out of town it goes to s/c but there is a path runs along side until you get to livingston (12 miles) that you never see anyone walking on , yet they choose the suicide option of going along road with traffic doing 50/60+ . I just dont get it . I know against highway code etc but jeez!

I would cycle on the pavement in those conditions and give way to pedestrians.This involves using common sense ,the lycra clad warriors dont do that.

Makes a change from “bloody cyclists using the pavement” threads.

What boils my ■■■■ is when there is a cycle path as part of the path but the ■■■■5 still use the road!

Firstly - although I do a lot of cycling this urban / busy road stuff is not for me, semi deserted country lanes is what I do (was only passed once in 22 miles last night), and I don’t do lycra or time myself either and I virtually never have any conflict with other road users.

However I do go on a cycling forum and this subject comes up a lot - the argument is the paths are just too bad, rubbish, borken glass, dog crap, walkers who tell them they should be on the road, pedestrians who are just plain awkward, other cyclist who don’t know which side to pass on, and very poor uneven surface compared to the road. a lycra clad warrior can average 20+ on a decent road, on a shared path you will do well to average 10.

Lastly, as I said at the begining this sort of cycling is not my bag, I have seen too much crap driving over the years to go on a busy road on a push bike, esp a NSL dual carriageway - there must be zero enjoyment in it.

Bluey Circles:
Firstly - although I do a lot of cycling this urban / busy road stuff is not for me, semi deserted country lanes is what I do (was only passed once in 22 miles last night), and I don’t do lycra or time myself either and I virtually never have any conflict with other road users.

However I do go on a cycling forum and this subject comes up a lot - the argument is the paths are just too bad, rubbish, borken glass, dog crap, walkers who tell them they should be on the road, pedestrians who are just plain awkward, other cyclist who don’t know which side to pass on, and very poor uneven surface compared to the road. a lycra clad warrior can average 20+ on a decent road, on a shared path you will do well to average 10.

Lastly, as I said at the begining this sort of cycling is not my bag, I have seen too much crap driving over the years to go on a busy road on a push bike, esp a NSL dual carriageway - there must be zero enjoyment in it.

I only ever ride to work. It’s only five miles or so and about half of it is dog mess and broken glass galore, yob occupied broken/uneven cycle track. The other half is on roads where most of the motoring population seems intent on, if not killing me, at least making my life difficult.
With so many ■■■■■■■■■ on the road, it’s no wonder cyclist behave as they do.

PS. Very rarely do I have a problem with a lorry!

The cyclists. .

Pavements are for people to walk on. Not for cyclists to ride along, although you wouldn’t know it with half of the dumb ■■■■■■■■■

alamcculloch:
I would cycle on the pavement in those conditions and give way to pedestrians.This involves using common sense…

That is exactly how our local plod view it

they make me laugh, they cant ride on pavements cos of dog crap, other people ect, uneven surface… cant ride using some of the cycle paths because the uneven surface, and they have to keep stopping for junctions ect, they cant ride close to the gutter on roads because of the uneven surface and drains ect… and yet they are running the tour de yorkshire around uneven country lanes that most havent seen a fresh surface for many years, all this at a faster speed then majority of cyclists do on a normal road, with them all bunched up close together with the following support vehicles and motorbikes with inches of them, yet do they complain then?

The roads that are being used for the Tourof Yorkshire will most likely be repaired before the event.The money will be found from somewhere :smiley:

A good, fit cyclist can easily cycle around at an average 20 or so mph. I see them on my commute most evenings leaving us mugs sat in a traffic jam for dead.

It’s a loads of ■■■■■■■■ to say they should be doing that on the pavement or some badly maintained path where your amongst pedestrians and/or with no right of way at junctions.

Bluey Circles:

I hope you’re telling these lycra fannies, that they should just pretend they are doing a Belgium classic’s race! :grimacing:

rob22888:
A good, fit cyclist can easily cycle around at an average 20 or so mph. I see them on my commute most evenings leaving us mugs sat in a traffic jam for dead.

It’s a loads of ■■■■■■■■ to say they should be doing that on the pavement or some badly maintained path where your amongst pedestrians and/or with no right of way at junctions.

The cyclist i seen today certainly werent doing 20mph lol . Im not saying all cyclist should be using all pavements all of the time , just maybe use a bit of common sense . Most of Edinburgh is now 20 mph zone so i guess the lycra lot will be using that to there advantage .

alamcculloch:
The roads that are being used for the Tourof Yorkshire will most likely be repaired before the event.The money will be found from somewhere :smiley:

lol i live on the route, no repairs were made last year or will be this year, though trying to get my sniper rifle zero,d in ready…