What is the problem strapping down a curtain sider

What is the problem with me doing that.

“the other driver doesn`t do that”

“we`ve never had a problem in the past”

“well it may damage the pallet”

“your only going down the road”

“if the boss see`s you do that he will go mad”

“well you only do that because you drive like a mad man” I don`t thank you

Just some have the comment I`ve had from loaders, lft and other drives etc… this week

I dont care Im strapping it down, Now shut it

Mental.

And breathe.

truckerjimbo:
What is the problem with me doing that.

“the other driver doesn`t do that”

“we`ve never had a problem in the past”

“well it may damage the pallet”

“your only going down the road”

“if the boss see`s you do that he will go mad”

“well you only do that because you drive like a mad man” I don`t thank you

Just some have the comment I`ve had from loaders, lft and other drives etc… this week

I dont care Im strapping it down, Now shut it

:grimacing: You tell em kid. Personally I prefer to use anti gravity straps unless the load looks particularly dodgy. :smiling_imp:

Coffeeholic:
And breathe.

:smiley: :smiley:

Better to have strapped it - than to get a picture of it all over the bed f the trailer due to some cloggie who took the ■■■■ and braked too hard - or pulled away to sharp lol
you can never over secure a load - you are the one thats taking it not the loader
if they are afraid of you damaging their load then make them strap it
cheers
Steve

as its often made apparent to us all, when the job goes belly up, ‘driver responsibility.’

if you want to strap it down, do it, i would.

would you take it on a flat trailer with no straps? i think not. curtains won’t stop you spilling your load on the motorway :open_mouth: :wink:

Well I had a full pallet of cement in bags go over, which is unusual as they don’t normally move an inch, and yes the curtains did stop it. Bulging a lot but still inside.

I never strap down my load on the d/d curtain sider, and although it sometimes moves it has never escaped.

I’d rather spend an extra hour strapping and securing the load than spend a lifetime asking myself why I didnt do it after the loads fell out and injured/killed someone.
If in doubt…get the straps out !

timmo:
curtains won’t stop you spilling your load on the motorway :open_mouth: :wink:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ooo keep your filthy habits to yourself :wink:

seriously though, get that load well strapped, its your neck at the very least :wink:

then surely if you had strapped your load, it wouldn’t have moved. then you wouldn’t have bulging curtains and run the risk of injury when you try and open them!

i’m not saying i’m a saint, but i have picked up my fair share of spilled pallets. there are few things more fiddly than trying to restack a load of pop-rivets in open top containers (all of which were different sizes and bound for vauxhall) or more messy than a collapsed pallet of tile adhesive! i now prefer to strap my loads than spend ages trying to restack them.

and if you think they won’t come through your curtains, you might like to speak to the poor driver who closed the m1 after the tinsley viaduct last week when his load ended up spread across all 3 lanes!

timmo:
then surely if you had strapped your load, it wouldn’t have moved. then you wouldn’t have bulging curtains and run the risk of injury when you try and open them!

I jumped in back and restacked it with curtains shut. Took no longer than it would have to open it up and strap it, i picked it up from docks.

Took no longer than it would have to open it up and strap it

fair enough. i can tell i’m not going to convince you :wink:

I think strapping down in a curtainsider is generally a good idea. Personally I do think it’s pushing ones luck to trust curtains hold your load in case of load movement. I admit, curtains do hold pretty well if the load moves and load doesn’t get any momentum before hitting a curtain. We’ve all seen bulging curtains and most of us, I included have seen such things in trailers we’ve been pulling.

Problems arise when moving load makes even a tiny hole into the curtain. This happens when load gets momentum before hitting the curtain (like huge paper reels) or has sharp edges (like steel sheets). After this, that part of the curtain doesn’t holdthe loads momentum and hole gets bigger in an instant. Then load continues it’s way through the curtain while your lorry travels somewhere else.

I use this as my own rule of thumb: If load is light and is loaded from curtain to curtain, it likely stays inside the curtains. If load is heavy and/or in middle of the trailer it likely goes through the curtains if it moves. Despite of this I’ve strapped load down as our local VOSA equivalent is happy even if you’re overweight but it’s strapped down. On the other hand, if your GVW is within legal limits but load is not strapped in curtainsider they give you fine.

Couple of months back in CZ, one driver loaded empty gas bottles onto his dropside 7.5t. No straps or nets. As he put it, “it was full load, very tight fit, side higher than the bottles, so the bottles had nowhere to go; done that many times liek that, no probs”.
This time he misjudged the speed of an approaching tipper when he was joining main road, crash boom bang, 7.5t spinning round, gas bottles flying around, pedestrains flying to safety.

Any guess who was the double idiot here?

mickfly:
I never strap down my load on the d/d curtain sider, and although it sometimes moves it has never escaped.

I never did either, but then I had a few truck engine and gear boxes on occasionally and if one of thems going to go, no amount of strapping will stop it… :open_mouth:

DAF95XF:

mickfly:

I never did either, but then I had a few truck engine and gear boxes on occasionally and if one of thems going to go, no amount of strapping will stop it… :shock:

yes it will!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: