What does anyone know about the MAN cabbed ERFs?

Anyone got any view on this truck (or other similar ones)?

walkermovements.co.uk/spec_s … nitID=4047

That seems pretty good value to me for a relatively new truck with tipping gear already fitted. Even the mileage is on the low side for something on Walker’s website :wink:

Any idea how long they last before they fall apart, or what they’re like on fuel? The MANs with that cab were fairly light so I guess the ERF with the small axle will be reasonably light too.

TIA,
Paul

This is only from a drivers point of view (TGA 430 - d20)

If they have been looked after then it could be a good punt for a year or 2. The doors do have a tendancy to drop and they do like to throw up odd dash warnings with faulty sensors.

I was getting about 8 to the gallon on container work. (That one also seems to have about 2/3 the milage that my one had.

The ■■■■■■■ is a good lump, look how long the old erf ec’s were running for.

At the end of the day just make a note of how mny older TGA’s/Mann cabbed ERF’s are still on the road and that will give you an idea of weather it is a good buy or not

I don’t know anything about MAN’s ( apart from the fact they don’t have a dealer in this area!) but using a bit of lateral thinking, I would look at this from a different angle :wink:

Have you thought about which workshop you are going to use for repairs and servicing ? What independents or main dealers do you have in your area ? If you are going to use an independent ( my favoured option) then ask them which trucks they would recommend and have experience working on - that’s what will keep your truck on the road when the proverbial hits the fan :wink:

54 plate for £7950 bargain you could buy a small fleet of them for the price of 1 scania/volvo

Get it “remapped” up to about 450hp and you will have a cracking truck for bulk tipper work@ that money :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

lee mat:
54 plate for £7950 bargain you could buy a small fleet of them for the price of 1 scania/volvo

I think just the one will do me for now! Another one or two at most might join it a few years down the line but I’m not getting any big ideas yet.

I agree it seems like a bargain. There must be a catch somewhere.

Paul

Denis F:
I don’t know anything about MAN’s ( apart from the fact they don’t have a dealer in this area!)

There is a MAN dealer at exeter.

I used to drive a 460 ECT comfi-shift cracking truck to start with but as mentioned before the drivers door dropped which let water in and tripped the central locking with me outside and pto engaged with a vac tank running :blush:
Then it started drinking water alot of water 10litres a day my boss spend about 5 grand to sort it
I never got it back and it is still for sale now!!!

Driven a few of these and the successor.

Even with 800k on the clock I found the mechanical bits okay. As for the other bits nothing necessarily seemed to fail, just didn’t work properly.

For example the splitter would only work if the clutch was pressed in, and the comfort button would work when it wanted to. The seat is superb when it works, but a nightmare when it doesn’t. All it needs is a bit of tlc to make sure all the moving parts actually move because when the seat does stick in place it refuses to move, no matter how much you try. The sensors, and the computer in general, have a mind of their own, and I would check everything electrical to make sure they work. If they have had any problems with the windows or mirrors the buttons on the drivers door may have been rewired the wrong way round. Check the bottom hinge on the doors for corrosion.

If it’s been looked after they are a superb motor.

Stan

Èarly TGA’s where ■■■■■■■ drove a load of em.Heater vents break,the seat leaks air,the instrument surround falls off,crappy radio,the bonnet pull needs to be worked with your left hand while you stoop under the door and bang the grill with your other hand,side locker pulls come away in your hand and the rain gets into the window electrics before you blow fuses.The bed is too hard,the cup holders are ■■■■■ and fall off.
We regurlarly had 10 at a time VOR’d for defect’s more serious than i’ve wrote here.MAN trucks tend to pull well but drink fuel until the heads go porous then they also drink water and loose a load of power.
Also the cab suspension is way too soft,they sway like a magnum and bottom out when you hitch/un hitch from a loaded trailer.
The comfortshift is a great idea but it can be slow.Only fault here is MAN have the clutch bite set up funny so you loose control when riding the clutch,all 55 we had were the same.
Personally i wouldnt touch MAN.

Here’s another similar one at a pretty low price. Lightweight midlift and good tyres on alloy wheels. Almost 700k on the clock though…

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … 0526431676

I’m getting very tempted by one of these at that kind of price.

Presumably if I got one of those and had tipping gear fitted then it could be swapped over to just about any motor with a ZF16 gearbox? So if the truck died the 2k spent on tipping gear wouldn’t have been wasted.

Paul

you would be unlucky getting it wrong paying that much a company that tips where i go have them they dont have an easy life and they do the miles but they seem to keep going and hes stuck with the same cab all be it now man for his new motors i was in man trafford park on saturday and had a nosey in one i like them myself seem good value for money

repton:
Here’s another similar one at a pretty low price. Lightweight midlift and good tyres on alloy wheels. Almost 700k on the clock though…

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … 0526431676

I’m getting very tempted by one of these at that kind of price.

Presumably if I got one of those and had tipping gear fitted then it could be swapped over to just about any motor with a ZF16 gearbox? So if the truck died the 2k spent on tipping gear wouldn’t have been wasted.

Paul

looks tempting at that price :wink:

what does the unit weigh unladen ? Some of the old ERF’s were heavy ( pre plastic pig ones) but I don’t know about the MAN/ERF’s

Denis F:
what does the unit weigh unladen ? Some of the old ERF’s were heavy ( pre plastic pig ones) but I don’t know about the MAN/ERF’s

I’m struggling to find any specs to be honest. I know the EC11s were very light and so are the MANs of that kind of age so given that the ECT is in very basic terms a MAN with an EC11 engine and gearbox it should be fairly light.

Plus it has the small middle axle and alloy wheels, which between them will save something like 500kg on a normal one with steel wheels.

I don’t know if he’s set a reserve or not, if not then at the moment someone might get it for 4k which is incredibly cheap. That said the seller has put in the usual “advertised elsewhere” line so if he’s not happy with the price it has reached he’ll no doubt pull it before it ends.

Paul

repton:

Denis F:

I’m struggling to find any specs to be honest. I know the EC11s were very light and so are the MANs of that kind of age so given that the ECT is in very basic terms a MAN with an EC11 engine and gearbox it should be fairly light.

you want to check this Paul ! I was just talking to a Livestock Haulier who also runs a few tippers , he runs MAN’s ( high roof TGA’s on the livestock) and is looking to change one- He told me the MAN’s weigh 500kg more than a Renault Premium he’s got on trial.

Denis F:
you want to check this Paul ! I was just talking to a Livestock Haulier who also runs a few tippers , he runs MAN’s ( high roof TGA’s on the livestock) and is looking to change one- He told me the MAN’s weigh 500kg more than a Renault Premium he’s got on trial.

The closest I can find a spec sheet for is the later 10.5 litre one (here) which claims to have a kerb weight of 7295kg (with 25l of fuel and no driver). This compares to 7519kg for a comparable new mini midlift CF (with 390l of fuel). So they would be about the same once the fuel is balanced out. So on that basis it’s going to be fairly light as long as the older engine isn’t massively heavier.

That one on eBay has had a bid now, seems there isn’t a reserve.

Paul

I was talking with a mate the other day who had several MAN/ERF tractors on bulker work. He’s just replaced them with new Renault Premiums and whe asked he said they are built like tanks but drink fuel something wicked! Mind you I can tell you once any niggly problems are got rid of, they are generally very good trucks.

repton:
That one on eBay has had a bid now, seems there isn’t a reserve.

Ended last night for £4600. If it isn’t falling apart mechanically that sounds like a bargain to me.

Paul