ERF

it seems that we are do to change the whole fleet on site and are due to get up to 40 ERFs around the new year whats everones views on these. i dont know the exact spec of em but Id guess theyre gonna be around the basic fleet 380 BHP mark to replace the scannies we got right now

Dunno what they are like now they are German, but loved 'em when were British…is there anything thats still British? (apart from me :laughing: )

You’ve got my sympathies mate!!! :frowning:

had my first go in one last week. the comfortt shift is superb
all in all a much better truck than the old ec11.
i also think it is as good as an fm series volvo or merc axor.
all in all an excellent fleet truck.

They are just M.A.N’s rebadged, best truck ive ever driven.

im not 100% on this but dont erf use ■■■■■■■ engines in the new models. also.
i just had a look on their website but i didnt say.
i did notice however that where there model numbers say 420 or 460 that it relates to PS and not horse power

Yes they do, but apart from that its a man tga, comfort shift is best thing since sliced bread, and the truck interior, layout and size is really good.

At the moment I drive a MAN TGA 410 4X2,and without doubt,it’s the best truck I’ve ever driven.

I’ve seen some of the new ECT ERF’s pass me and they have the same interior as my MAN.And yes, the comfort shift is superb.I’ll be sorry to see it go back to the hire company this week.

I guess the only difference is the ■■■■■■■ lump underneath,but thats no bad thing.I used to go into the Darlington plant on a daily basis with a former employer,and I liked what I saw.

Before long,I don’t think the stigma of,‘I drive an ERF’ will apply,what with the fact it’s a re-badged MAN.

So enjoy.

It may be some time before i get to drive 1 when we get em cozim doing the fleet admin side of the job coz the regular peeps on sickie for sometime so really all i need to know is are they gonna give us pleasure or pain? the current fleet is way long in the tooth, as its hot seated all the time with em

biggest pile of junk to ever come out of cheshire but might have improved with the take over bit like skoda if you know what i mean :smiling_imp:

As ■■■■■■■ now use they 11 litre engine as opposed to the old 14 litre in this range of bhp,make sure that the M11 is the one rated at 405 bhp,and not the 380 bhp version.

On a personal note,I prefer the old 14 litre,but as with everything else,the 11 litre is computer controlled for emission purposes.

Ive always hated them, from the A series right through, all of them, even drove an X reg newish one, hated that too! But, these ones made by MAN look like good tackle, and if they drive like the TGA I drove they’ll be great Im sure!

Mal.

Unlike the above posters, I have always liked ERF, it was a ■■■■ fine British company (Shame so many people always have to ‘rubbish’ anything British :imp: ) and if ERF’s were that bad, Why were they sold all over the world?

Speaking for myself only, I dont hate them because theyre British Cliff, I hate them because they were horrible to drive IMHO, and most of the ones I had wouldnt come anywhere near a continental motor for driver comfort, light clutches and things like efficient heaters ect. I remember once I got injured falling off a load of paper reels in Tilbury, lucky just cuts and bruises, but was wet through and freezing, me B series didnt have a working heater, just something that blew from under the seat occaisionally! and I had to blag a warm in a blokes F88, when I got in that Volvo, I could see where the future was going, ERF didnt obviously.

Mal.

Well I learnt to drive in an A series four wheeler 120 Gardner and a David Brown box with a two speed axle :open_mouth:

I owned a B series with a 250 ■■■■■■■ and a Fuller Road Ranger box

I have not driven a “modern” ERF perhaps I should go and buy one :laughing:

cheers
STEVE.