MAN 19.364 Opinions please

My new boss has given the green light for me to source a replacement rig (at last). Can’t have a big spend (Uncle Covid 19 etc) so looking at the lower end of the market. Don’t do massive km’s, just need something tidy and reliable.

I have found this MAN for sale which would be ideal for forklifts but I have had little to do with this breed of truck. It’s a six wheeler with lift, manual.

So this is a reach out to you guys and gals to let me know what you think, the good and the bad, it is an older truck 2000 I believe but it looks mint and the spec is ideal.

Thanks in advance.

You’ll get some good advice here, (not from me, I know nowt) but would be worthwhile asking on the Owners forum too.
As a generalisation though, at that age the history of a vehicle would be more important than anything else. A well looked after low spec truck would be better than a high spec, but hammered, and neglected one.

Hello.
MAN trucks of that era were generally very good, no nonsense trucks, unlike many of the next generation, (many of which were the complete opposite)

I take it that it’s the one for sale by Walker Movements?
If so, it does look very nice. However, there are several things to consider.

Firstly, I suspect that it has been, at some time, converted from a 2 axle tractor unit to three axle rigid. Some of these conversions are ok, some not so good. Personally, I’m not keen on them, but done well it would be ok.

Secondly, you don’t tell us where you will be operating. (A truck of that vintage has the massive advantage of having no additional emission control systems, so would be much more reliable than newer types) However, if you need to go into London or some of the other existing and proposed Low Emission city zones, it would be very expensive, as the vehicle will not comply with the regulations.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, John for your reply. Yes, it was on Walkers - I rang them this morning and they told me the truck was sold in November :unamused:

Yes, you’re right about the emissions but we would never be going to the London area. It just looked exceptionally mint but there was only one photo which was a shame.

Anyway the good news is that Walkers told me of three DAF beavertails that they have currently in stock one of which certainly ticks all the boxes, we don’t necessarily need three axles and the one we’re interested in is a cheese wedge with a one-piece ramp, perfect for forklifts.

More money but the lady who writes the cheques is more than happy.