What do you think?

Returned home a couple of weeks ago after a fantastic holiday in america. Whilst flying from new york down to orlando me an my missis got talking to a guy who was sat with us that was returning home after a short stay with a freind in new york. It turned out that he ran his own trucking company delivering house plants to home depot ( I think its part of the group that owns B&Q) Anyway he was asking me loads of questions about trucking overhere and basicly said he was short of good drivers and would I be interested :laughing: He gave me his cell phone number and home number and invited us round for lunch sometime the next week. I thought a lot about it but we didn’t go in the end because we didn’t want to mislead him or anything but at the same time felt a bit rude for not going. So I was just wondering wether or not the grass is greener on the other side of the pond? I know pat hasler lives over there so if you read this pat perhaps you could let me know what its like. I think the guy was actually being quite genuine and said that he would take care of things with regard getting me through all the necesary ( spelling :question: ) things. Would you jump at the chance if you had it ? Its had me thinking since to be honest

i`d sure jump at the chance of a free peppered steak with jacket spuds and the like at his gaf…but as regards the job,it aint just that.“the grass”…aint greener,but what ties if any (including family :unamused: ) do you have over here??
if you can face leaving britain…E.G.friends,family,home.ect,then do it. :wink:

From where I sit, having a few immigrant drivers would increase the quality of our fleet, and having drivers who are actually proficient in the English language (even if they spell some words funny) would be a real plus.
On the downside, delivering to Home Despot will mean a lot of waiting to be unloaded, and a lot of delivering at busy suburban retail locations.

To be honest guys we have no ties at all so there would be nothing stopping us at all from just selling up and going. The thing I was wondering though was would it actually be a better way of life ? I have heard pat saying many a time that the trucks look great ( which they do ) but are real piles of crap to drive.

Sorry to ruin any good vibes but you can’t just up and go to live/work in the States if your a British citizen.You can only go for a Max 3 months on a vacation visa and even then your not allowed to work!! The only way to legally work is to go via a H2A temp 6 month work visa and the INS in the States are very very chosey on how they give these out even more so after 9/11.The only sure way is to marry an American citizen or win in the green card lottery (which I don’t think a UK citizen can enter,but strangely I can because I live in N.Ireland!!)
You’ll find that most of the British guy’s who post on the ex-pats forum are married to American gal’s and even then if you check out their past posts they even had a nightmare appling to stay long term :exclamation: :exclamation: :cry:
Also check out “Allikats” posts as she seems to have sussed it out on how to stay long term in Canada the “handy” way even though its costing her some “dough” :exclamation: :wink:
For some more info click on trucknetUSA at the top of this page and then click on “roundtable” and then click on “Worldwidetruckers”,there are quite a few posts on the subject of going to drive truck in the USA there :wink:

Cheers for that bigtruck :smiley:

And remember that if you do manage to get a visa, there’s two types - one lets you stay there and work for whoever you like, the other only allows you to work for the employer who got the visa for you. If you leave that company (for whatever reason), then you have to leave the US.

What have you got to lose if you dont try it you will never know.