What a nightmare

Hallo

Just thought i would share my funny moment in the yard the other day.

Was tasked to take a 30ft trailer into Glasgow, had to get it onto the bay tried to reverse it up the yard, all hell broke loose could i get this trailer to behave no chance. i was 30 mins in and out like a yoyo

senior driver came up afterwards and said m8 you do realise that 30 footer has rear-wheel steering, :blush: i was going to fast and treating it like the 45 footer i was used to

Is there anyway to lock the back axle?

Cheers

Flipside

not sure if you can lock the rear axle but if you just turn less than you would a 45 footer it helps a little, you only little small turns to turn it quite a way. the easiest way i found was to hang out the window and watch teh rear wheels and see where they are pointing before moving too much. it helped me a lot when i did my second run ever in an artic for the co-op

and there was only about 4 inches the other side as well.

these trailers are brilliant once you get used to them.

jesus i thought some my drops were tight :wink:

i must admit onced i went slow and did very very tiny turns it worked a treat.

but at first i had no clue as to why the trailer was running away at a rapid rate of knots :open_mouth:

should have read the big sticker on the back in red and white warning vehicle has rear steering or something like that

Flip

On the older rear steer trailer axles I was taught to lock off the rear steer for reversing

Don’t know about the modern ones…

ROG:
On the older rear steer trailer axles I was taught to lock off the rear steer for reversing

Don’t know about the modern ones…

The older ones had to be locked off to reverse because they were just following bogies. The newer ones have a steering linkage in the form of a wedge that sits in the opening jaws of the fifth wheel and is connected to the rear steering axle, and they do steer in reverse… very well. We used them when I worked for Cannon’s on the Bison jobs out of Iver.

older trailers have a lock out button on the trailer for the reer steer

most modern trucks automatically lock out when you select reverse

AS LONG AS THE WHEELS ARE STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU REVERSE OF COURSE.

Tesco have a few some have a lock out button on some dont. also som DD trailers have them too