Wagons & Trailers,Drivers & mates

Right “H” you must have had your fill of Christmas cheer so howay and get your holdall packed and you and me will turn the clock back more years than we now care to remember!!! Do you think you and me could manage to operate this outfit? Not the origional but a nice copy all the same.If it had been the real McCoy the load would be about 2ft high and 22 ton!!!My bags packed and the digs are booked!!! Cheers Dennis.PS thats Eric and me sat in the cab!!

Nice photo Dennis.I drove an LAD Octopus occasionally when the regular driver was off on holiday and I thought it was a great motor.I never had a drag on the back,they came years later in my career.H B and H from Newton le Willows ran similar Octopus and trailers but their trailers had dolly convertors I think and double wheels.

Borrowed this from Stravaiger hope he doesn`t mind ,this had a 6 speed box and the 11.3 engine in ,my dad had an identical 1 with the 9.6 and 5 speed box they were like chalk and cheese

ramone:
Borrowed this from Stravaiger hope he doesn`t mind ,this had a 6 speed box and the 11.3 engine in ,my dad had an identical 1 with the 9.6 and 5 speed box they were like chalk and cheese

I remember the difference between the two as well :open_mouth: .

Chris Webb:

ramone:

I remember the difference between the two as well :open_mouth: .

I always thought the Sutton 4 wheeler Atkis and the double wheel Dyson drawbars were the “dogs”! No match for the 680 Octopus though but nice outfits all the same.Dennis.PS has anyone got a photo of a Sutton outfit?

ramone:

Seeing this photo makes my heart miss a beat was tr mate on similar shunting for Richardsons of Hull out of Old Jamacia rd, Bermondsey, they also ran mk3s with drags. As none of the trs had air brakes fitted even the mk5`s had a brake cable running from the tr back axle to a ratchet brake on the floor of the mates side. :unamused: :unamused: …dave

Bewick:
Right “H” you must have had your fill of Christmas cheer so howay and get your holdall packed and you and me will turn the clock back more years than we now care to remember!!! Do you think you and me could manage to operate this outfit? Not the origional but a nice copy all the same.If it had been the real McCoy the load would be about 2ft high and 22 ton!!!My bags packed and the digs are booked!!! Cheers Dennis.PS thats Eric and me sat in the cab!!

hiya,
Dennis i bet i could manage but it would have to be doing your job in the mates seat provided you did’nt use the rope on me too much have’nt driven one in anger since about 1970 and an earlier Octopus than that beauty, drove a few different eights between 1957 and 1970 Maudslay, AEC, Leyland all with drawbars did a spell with an eight Atki but that was always solo, my favourite for maneuverability i preferred the mk5 AEC none had power steering but the mk5 had what we called trailer steering you needed a few more turns to get from lock to lock but it gave the effect of being much lighter than the others, tell you what Dennis they was great days, always someone in the cab to talk to thats if you could keep the normally young un awake.
thank :exclamation: :exclamation: s harry long retired.

Bewick:
I always thought the Sutton 4 wheeler Atkis and the double wheel Dyson drawbars were the “dogs”! No match for the 680 Octopus though but nice outfits all the same.Dennis.PS has anyone got a photo of a Sutton outfit?

Here you are, Dennis: paulanderson.fotopic.net/c1783444.html

I always prefered a wagon & drag to an artic , no trailer swopping,the cleanliness was down to you not anyone else,followed better,rode better and you had the enjoyment of p****** people off who were just waiting for you to make a mistake or a judgement error, what a great feeling when you got it on/in first time.i hope we are talking real drawbars here and not the ‘boys’ ones that have come about lately, those that need no skill to reverse. that picture dennis was as good an xmas pressy as anything, made my year.

LB76:
I always prefered a wagon & drag to an artic , no trailer swopping,the cleanliness was down to you not anyone else,followed better,rode better and you had the enjoyment of p****** people off who were just waiting for you to make a mistake or a judgement error, what a great feeling when you got it on/in first time.i hope we are talking real drawbars here and not the ‘boys’ ones that have come about lately, those that need no skill to reverse. that picture dennis was as good an xmas pressy as anything, made my year.

Glad you liked the shot of the Octopus “LB76” the trailer in the shot was a bit shorter than the one at Brady’s,which was an 18ft Crane obviously on a turntable and shod on 1000X20 normal dished wheels.It didn’t have a headboard either.The driver I was on the Octopus with,Eric Postlethwaite,was someone I would rate as one of the best wagon and trailer drivers to have got behind the wheel.There may,of course,be some that would have been his equal but none better IMO.He could back the outfit up as fast as an artic and as far as you wanted into the bargain!! His sheeting and roping was immaculate as well, whatever the shape of the load!!!His been my pal since the mid 60s and we still speak on the phone regularly although he’s not been too well of late.Even when I employed about 150 drivers I looked up to him just the same as when he was my Guv’nor,I guess that once you have worked and more-or-less lived with someone who taught you the right way’s of the job it becomes ingrained.Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

LB76:

Glad you liked the shot of the Octopus “LB76” the trailer in the shot was a bit shorter than the one at Brady’s,which was an 18ft Crane obviously on a turntable and shod on 1000X20 normal dished wheels.It didn’t have a headboard either.The driver I was on the Octopus with,Eric Postlethwaite,was someone I would rate as one of the best wagon and trailer drivers to have got behind the wheel.There may,of course,be some that would have been his equal but none better IMO.He could back the outfit up as fast as an artic and as far as you wanted into the bargain!! His sheeting and roping was immaculate as well, whatever the shape of the load!!!His been my pal since the mid 60s and we still speak on the phone regularly although he’s not been too well of late.Even when I employed about 150 drivers I looked up to him just the same as when he was my Guv’nor,I guess that once you have worked and more-or-less lived with someone who taught you the right way’s of the job it becomes ingrained.Cheers Dennis.

Nice tribute Dennis in an age where respect is as rare as a decent job in Bradford

does this count as this was the wagon I started mating on in 67 and the first wagon I drove legally but it was a different trailer

171.jpg

sammyopisite:
does this count as this was the wagon I started mating on in 67 and the first wagon I drove legally but it was a different trailer

The adjudicators have had a meeting in the tap room and their decision is “foul stroke” 4 away! Its configured as a Ballast tractor and not a rigid and turntable trailer.and the loads not sheeted either!!! Dennis.PS and how come they didn’t strap you on the trailer Johnnie and send you to Columbia?

Bewick:

sammyopisite:

The adjudicators have had a meeting in the tap room and their decision is “foul stroke” 4 away! Its configured as a Ballast tractor and not a rigid and turntable trailer.and the loads not sheeted either!!! Dennis.PS and how come they didn’t strap you on the trailer Johnnie and send you to Columbia?

Eyup Johnnie.Me and you had better go onto Dennis’ naughty step then 'cos mine wasn’t sheeted either… :laughing:

hi everyone if jonnie can does this count erf with two trs wot my dad drove (he let me have a go with one tr)-alan

revman:
0hi everyone if jonnie can does this count erf with two trs wot my dad drove (he let me have a go with one tr)-alan

Now that’s a proper drawbar Alan,can I have a go? :laughing:

hi chris did u get the calendar i sent u-be glad when they get the flyover finished-alan

Great pictures again Stravaiger ive seen the Longs 1 before taken by the legend Peter Davies ,my dad drove it from time to time and apparently ive been in it…cant remember it though.Theres another 1 in this months Classic and Vintage Commercials GAK 562 1949 ex BRS on Liverpool Docks.My dad had it for 3 months when the m.o.ts came into force such was the state of the 1959 1 he drove regular.I showed him it and he said it shouldn`t have had the trailer on the engine was too small LOL. Apparently he said it was loaded at Courtaulds at Greenfeid North Wales…check out the roping and sheeting Dennis

revman:
0hi chris did u get the calendar i sent u-be glad when they get the flyover finished-alan

Hi Alan,yeah they are taking their time with that lot.Let me know when it’s done and I’ll come over and have a look. :laughing:
I’ve sent you an e-mail re the calendar.

Chris.