Wagaon and drag or artic?

Hi all,
I will soon be starting my lessons for my class two and then hopefully going on to do class 1,the thing is the driving school i am using uses a man 17 tonner for the class 2 and simply puts a trailer on the wagon so you can take your’e class 1. Although this could have advantages i.e you will be used to the truck’s controls etc what are other’s opinions as to reversing the thing -is it harder,easier or about the same :confused: :confused: Your’e views would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers for now…SCANTHEMAN.

It can all depend on what your thinking of doing after you pass yor class one. If your thinking of doing a lot of wagon and drag work, then wagon and drag would be the best option, but its not really preparing you for the real world if you pass in a wagon and drag, and then get a job on a 45ft trailer and driving a unit…

But, I have been told in the past that its easier reversing a 40ft trailer than a smaller one behind a rigid wagon. The unit can be moved around under the trailer, with out causing great effects to the trailer, whereas the rigid in front on a smaller trailer, makes the trailer repond so much quicker, hense possibly causing problems…

I am still a newbi and never driven a wagon and drag, and I passed my test in a unit with a 40ft container, so I cant compare, but some of the more experienced guys and gurls out there will be able to help a lot more…

Don’t worry about what they use to train you, just get the licence. Then you can learn to drive the vehicle you need for the your job.
I passed my test in a 6 speed Ford Cargo with a 32ft tandam flat bed, the first truck I drove after my test was a Volvo F12 with 16 gear, including range changes and spliter with a 45ft triaxle tilt. :smiley:
The thing you need as a truck driver is to be versitile, trucks and trailers and loads are all differant.

Good Luck :wink:

it don’t really matter wot your driving artic or wag and drag,the reversing part is the same ,just a little bit more attention is required on the drag.so as muckles says,it don’t really matter as long as you get class1 out of it. :wink:

Going forward is easier with wag and drag, the trailer only cuts the corner by a few feet.
Reversing is harder though, the wagon can cut out the view of the trailer and gives you two blind sides.

But, I have been told in the past that its easier reversing a 40ft trailer than a smaller one behind a rigid wagon. The unit can be moved around under the trailer, with out causing great effects to the trailer, whereas the rigid in front on a smaller trailer, makes the trailer repond so much quicker, hense possibly causing problems…

you want to try it andy and you will find out that it is true,the smaller the trl the harder to reverse,i done my test in a baby bender as we called them. :laughing: :laughing:

For the test, I’d say it’s easier to get out of trouble in an n artic than with a W&D.

I think it’s true that the trailer will follow a rigid without cutting in so much (though, I think this also works the other way ie the trailer can also hang out more).

W&D are harder to park in the tight MSA’s in my view.

From what I remember if you take your class 1 in a wagon and drag the licence is limited and you cannot drive an artic.
Things may have changed since leaving but that wa the law last time i checked. :exclamation:

Pat Hasler:
From what I remember if you take your class 1 in a wagon and drag the licence is limited and you cannot drive an artic.
Things may have changed since leaving but that wa the law last time i checked. :exclamation:

Pat, things have changed a bit, for the worse Im afraid

No longer are you allowed to drive a Heavy Goods Vehicle, You must call it a Large Goods Vehicle.

A Public Service Vehicle PSV is now a Passenger Carrying Vehicle PCV

That must have taken years to think up :stuck_out_tongue:

The Class 1. 2 + 3 is now C + E or just C
I dont know what good training in a rigid with a drawbar trailer does for experience in driving an articulated vehicle.

When I was a lad, a class 3 was a 2 axle rigid, and a class 2 was a 6 or 8 wheeler and you could pull a drawbar trailer.

Thats Progress I Suppose

I’ve just done my first two nights on class 1 and it turned out to be W&D :blush:

Since I did my test and training on a 3 axle artic it has come as quite a shock :exclamation: I have to say that W&D is harder than an artic (in my limited experience :exclamation: ) but if you learn with it it may be easier to move over to an artic. That seemed to be the opinion of some of the drivers I spoke to who were driving the same as me.

Are you calling a Wagon and Drag an A frame trailer or a centre axle trailer?

A frames follow perfectly forward, Centre axle like a caravan cut in a bit and have a nasty overhang.

In reverse things get quite comical though :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks all for your’e helpful replies,the wagon and drag is not the A-frame type Malc it’s the other type…listening to peoples views if after the class 2 i do go on to do class 1 then the reversing could be fun :blush: :blush: :blush: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers…SCANTHEMAN

Wheel Nut:
Are you calling a Wagon and Drag an A frame trailer or a centre axle trailer?

Centre axle. Should have made the point that I was referring to reversing - general driving forward they seem much the same as an artic.
A frames follow perfectly forward, Centre axle like a caravan cut in a bit and have a nasty overhang.

In reverse things get quite comical though :stuck_out_tongue:

Just getting the hang of it and the job’s ended :frowning: They react faster than an artic, but can be corrected just as fast. Swings and roundabouts really :exclamation:

You can pass your class 1 in a W&D these days, and get the full thing. Heck, I can get my doubles/triples entitlement on my Class A CDL just by doing a classroom test, you ever see someone try and take a driving test in a turnpike double? (that’s 2 45’ trailers for those back home) Nope, you never do, you just take it in a standard artic. Same goes for W&D on class 1 tests back home mate.

allikat:
You can pass your class 1 in a W&D these days, and get the full thing. Heck, I can get my doubles/triples entitlement on my Class A CDL just by doing a classroom test, you ever see someone try and take a driving test in a turnpike double? (that’s 2 45’ trailers for those back home) Nope, you never do, you just take it in a standard artic. Same goes for W&D on class 1 tests back home mate.

Which is the worrying bit :frowning:

An artic handles totally different to a drawbar, backwards and forwards.

Wheel Nut:

allikat:

Malc is quite right a W&D is totaly different to an Artic in the way it handles forwards and reverse…I have driven artics for 14 years 4x2 units and 8x2 units double axle trailers & tri axle trailers…with artic’s the principle is the same in reverse but 4x2’s & 8x2’s with 2 & 3 axles behind you will handle a little differently…at the moment I am covering for drivers taking there summer holidays it’s just for 2 months…I am now having my first shot with a wagon and drag :open_mouth: total lenght is 24 Mtr’s truck is a Volvo FM9 with 300 horses 9 liter straight 6…going forwards as Malc said is not really a problem…turning left trailer follows really well…turning right you gota take it wide…reversing ha ha well I have been on this job 5 weeks now and I am still getting the hang of it…it’s very easy to over steer and lose the trailer…secret is to watch the leading axle ( I have only 1 leading axle ) with 2 I am told it’s a little easier to revers ( what day’s that then :laughing: ) and keeping an eye on the front marker lights of the trailer thats the target to aim for ie keeping the back corner of the truck in line with the trailer if you see what I am saying…mess it up you only have to pull forwards about 2 foot to correct the leading axle…like I said I am new at this but learning fast…the secret of reversing is to posstion correctly…possition wrong & you could be there all. day !!..anyway I am running from Torup to Limhamn in Malmö every night…saw my first traffic jam last night it was a car and caravan yup going down hill !!..and I have lived here 17 months now…I dont miss the M25 one little bit :wink:

Wheel Nut:

It seems to be universally agreed that the reversing on the test is pointless and that you do all your real learning after you’ve passed though, so I don’t really see it as an issue. I’m doing my C+E in a W+D in a couple-o-weeks and the only thing that I’m really bothered about is that it means I won’t know how to couple/decouple an artic. The couple/decouple bit shouldn’t be too hard to sort anyway as I’ve already had a kind offer from one TruckNET member of a day out in an artic anyway.

After that it’s just a case of taking it steady for the first few weeks/months/whatever.

Paul

repton:

Wheel Nut:

the only thing that I’m really bothered about is that it means I won’t know how to couple/decouple an artic. The couple/decouple bit shouldn’t be too hard to sort anyway as I’ve already had a kind offer from one TruckNET member of a day out in an artic anyway.

No it’s not that difficult…but it is important how and where you drop your trailer…and in what order you do it in…dissconnect the air lines first you have a problem espeically on a hill or slight incline you’ll lose the trailer and sever the electric and air lines and if it’s loaded you’ll need a crane to lift it back up…if your going to drop a loaded trailer on a hot day on tarmac put some timber under the legs also it will help spread the load and stop it sinking…good idea on soft ground aswell…dont worry on your course they should tell you all this anyway…good luck for the future Paul.

Wag and Drag is much more fun, espicially with demount boxes. I drove one for Argos for about 3 months and never really got to grips with reversing the thing. It is an art form!!!

If you pass on a wag an drag,there are resrictions on the licence.