VW Passat 1999, mechanical help needed

This may be moved to another forum the problem is i didnt know what one to put it on!!!.

Perhaps we should have a mechanical help forum??.

I have a 1999 V` reg VW Passat i have owned it from new and now have realised that i oppose the £40 Oil change.the £300 Brake oad change , the £700 cambelt change .

There is some Info i need and i,m sure someone on TN will either know what to do or know someone who will know what to do, i have decided i will service it myself next year and i would relly appreciate the knowledge of how to either disable the stupid thing that says " SERVICE NOW! or the info on how to reset it until next year.

PLEASE HELP ME i will not bow to the manufacturers www.rip-off.co.uk
prices.

Jammy,
Sell it orpart exchange it for a new one that don’t need a service.
Problem solved.
No need to thank me. :laughing: :laughing:

Dan.

jammy my veiw on this is JUST GET IT SERVICED. To be honest mate Id a new fiesta and did the servicing myself, it unwarrents the warranty, so splash out on the good money that you report on here and get it done by VW, it will make more sense at trading in time!!

regards

kev

£700 for a cambelt change■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Jammy, is it diesel or petrol?

If it’s petrol, you can get fault code readers from Halfords and I think these can be used to reset service intervals as well. If I remember rightly, resetting the service intervals on the diesel is just a matter of pressing the little buttons near the speedo (can’t remember what order, though)

If it’s diesel and it’s got the 1.9 TDi, a cambelt is about £30 and you need a set of locking pins for the crankshaft/camshaft/injection pump, etc. A set of these costs about the same as the cambelt (we’re talking Draper here, if you want to go for Sykes Pickavant they’ll cost you 10 times as much :open_mouth: ). It’ll take you about half a day (with practice :smiley: ) to change the belt and service it if it’s a diesel.

Cheers Andy off to Halfords i shall go we deal with Draper at work so i can get them wioth 60% off the list price.

Dan i have owned the car from new i know its agood reliable car and hasnt been thrashed (MUCH :smiling_imp: ).

thanks for your input folks.

£700 for a cambelt change…

porkinell. HOW MUCH. how on earth can they justify that.