Advice needed

I know it’s not truck related :smiley: A few weeks ago a friend bought a car from me, yesterday afternoon I received a text asking if the oil pressure warning light had been on before as it was now on. I told him that no it hadn’t and to keep me informed. Now I was willing to help out with any repair costs …but I’ve just seen on Facebook that he’s broken down and is waiting for a recovery service, I’ve texted him and the RAC guy seems the think that it’s the oil pump but it could have damaged the engine quite badly, now it’s not on his doorstep he’s driven it nearly 100mile on motorway and duel carriageway. Now I was willing to help with any repair costs but after him driving it and very possibly causing much more damage I don’t see how I’m responsible ■■ What would you do? Agree to pay half? Just offer a token gesture amount? Tell him “you shouldn’t have drove it” and walk away ■■

It’s doing my head in to be fair, I want to do the right thing but I can’t believe he drove it at all never mind so far with an oil pressure warning light on :unamused:

Sold as seen! I appreciate it’s a friend of yours, but just how far do you take your responsibilities? Any person who continues to drive with a low oil pressure warning on without having it professionally investigated has nobody but themselves to blame when the repair bill comes!

Depending on the type of person he is maybe you have to accept that this particular friendship is over. If you need a replacement friend then plenty can be made in any RDC. Just make eye contact with him and away you go. :wink:

He may have unwittingly thrashed it to death in that 100 miles, which an old car may not have appreciated & given up the ghost.
As stated “sold as seen”

Don’t sell to friends or family … sold as seen fella. first thing I do with any car is service it with cam belt

was it a vw group 2 litre diesel by any chance?

I have always done a note which is dated and signed by the buyer and me - sold as seen

Might add - seen being driven or test driven if that was also the case

Always set something out in writing as it stops any future issues

First tip is write a bill of sale with the words Sold as seen that covers your responsibility. As a buyer he should have done a test drive, and as a friend he should have asked you a few questions, or taken your advice as to any possible faults. As a driver, when an oil light comes on, the first thing to do is stop, check the oil once it has cooled down, or at least once the oil has returned to the sump.
If he has driven it thinking It will be ok thats the wrong thing to do. Your responsibility lasts only until the car has been driven away, i certainly would not agree to pay half, or even a quarter, if he has damaged the engine so severely that it needs rebuilding or replacing, thats like giving the car away in the first place, and its also called Sods law sad but thats the way it goes when buying a second hand car, its the chance one takes.

AFAIK Sold as seen is worthless if you knowing sell a defective car. Now prooving it is another matter entirely. Personally I would find some friends who are a little more mechanically minded. If he drove it around with a red warning light on, as others have said, its his own stupid fault.

Darb:
I know it’s not truck related :smiley: A few weeks ago a friend bought a car from me, yesterday afternoon I received a text asking if the oil pressure warning light had been on before as it was now on. I told him that no it hadn’t and to keep me informed. Now I was willing to help out with any repair costs …but I’ve just seen on Facebook that he’s broken down and is waiting for a recovery service, I’ve texted him and the RAC guy seems the think that it’s the oil pump but it could have damaged the engine quite badly, now it’s not on his doorstep he’s driven it nearly 100mile on motorway and duel carriageway. Now I was willing to help with any repair costs but after him driving it and very possibly causing much more damage I don’t see how I’m responsible ■■ What would you do? Agree to pay half? Just offer a token gesture amount? Tell him “you shouldn’t have drove it” and walk away ■■

It’s doing my head in to be fair, I want to do the right thing but I can’t believe he drove it at all never mind so far with an oil pressure warning light on :unamused:

If your friend wanted a guarantee , he should have purchased from a dealer . And also had the vehicle fully serviced as soon as he purchased it . How much did he pay for the vehicle ?

098Joe:

My first thoughts too, kwality German engineering that never go wrong…what was the ad with the middle class totty throwing away her engagement ring…‘‘if only everything in life was as reliable as a VW’’…yeah right.

Be interesting to know what car it is, depending on the cars history (ownerships and service) and ‘mates discount’ applied to the sale what i would do here is variable.

Juddian:

098Joe:

My first thoughts too, kwality German engineering that never go wrong…what was the ad with the middle class totty throwing away her engagement ring…‘‘if only everything in life was as reliable as a VW’’…yeah right.

Be interesting to know what car it is, depending on the cars history (ownerships and service) and ‘mates discount’ applied to the sale what i would do here is variable.

Ive got a 2litre SE GOLF ,its 7 year old and has not cost me a penny,thats until the last month,when vw go wrong they dont do it nicely ,they hit you where it hurts ,there prices are up with bmw and audi :frowning: :frowning:

The car is an Audi A4 1.8t Cabrio, full service history, 107k, I had the cam belt done when I decided to sell as the previous owner assured me it had been done but there was no paperwork for proof, so I had it done just to be sure, the nearest one spec/milage wise on Autotrader was just under a grand more than I let him have it for :slight_smile:

Immediate response to text msg should have been “DO NOT DRIVE IT any further.”

I’ve always bought my second-hand cars “as seen”, so I make a point of checking them to see what can be "run with"and what needs attention more urgently.

I was warned about the 5th gear jumping out on buying this car I have now, but the oil is totally black and has stained the dipstick - so I think I’d better get a full oil service done it it as soon as.

“We buy any car” didn’t buy my old one btw… Useless company only interested in making a turn on boy racer cars with their big differential between book price, and what you can actually sell them for.

The online website offered between £440 and £880 for my old car - based on 0% condition and 100% good condition.
At the depot they offered me £175. I won’t be doing anything THERE again. :imp:
Presumably, they hope that “once there” you’ll take any derisory offer made. I didn’t, and traded it in for 20% off my current car instead through a private dealer. Valuation websites suggest my vehicle is worth more than double what I paid, even in poor nick. It’s the websites that are no good I reckon - not the private dealers. :bulb:

If he’s drove it with anything moody on it that he knew was a problem then that is his problem & not yours unless he’s a young un & you want to take pity on his youthful naivity.

Tell him “you shouldn’t have drove it” and walk away
Its a common problem on the 1.8t thats not had oil changed every 6000mile, the old oil turns to sludge and reduces whats available to pump round the engine eventually blocking the lift pipe
think around a min of £600 for your half if you decide to help pay