VOSA

I did a failry lengthy trip on Saturday, upto scotland empty, load and return as far as possible. I then got pulled by VOSA on the M6. 1 bloke straight round the truck checking wheel nuts, tyres etc, next chap wanders up to the window and asks for digicard, sorry says I, I am on GB Domestic so heres my log book. He gave it a cursory glance then opens the door and pops a card into the digi tacho, prints out the last 2 days work and proceeds to inform me that I have had not had my 45 min break after 4.5 hours driving. I stated that I did not think there was any rules set down for breaks when it came to GB Domestic hours, he then went onto explain that I should adhere to the same breaks as EU regs. Not wanting to get into an argument I apologised for my mistake, he then gave me the printouts and let me on my way!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I thought if I was in the wrong then he would have had me for it! Just out of curiosity I have contacted VOSA enforcement today who confirmed what I had originally thought, there is nothing in the rules that says when you should have a break. What chance do we stand of understaning the rules when VOSA can’t even get it right! Shame he didn’t give me a ticket cause he would have looked a bit silly in Court!

You said it all there! Training - what training?

Fileep:
I did a failry lengthy trip on Saturday, upto scotland empty, load and return as far as possible. I then got pulled by VOSA on the M6. 1 bloke straight round the truck checking wheel nuts, tyres etc, next chap wanders up to the window and asks for digicard, sorry says I, I am on GB Domestic so heres my log book. He gave it a cursory glance then opens the door and pops a card into the digi tacho, prints out the last 2 days work and proceeds to inform me that I have had not had my 45 min break after 4.5 hours driving. I stated that I did not think there was any rules set down for breaks when it came to GB Domestic hours, he then went onto explain that I should adhere to the same breaks as EU regs. Not wanting to get into an argument I apologised for my mistake, he then gave me the printouts and let me on my way!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: I thought if I was in the wrong then he would have had me for it! Just out of curiosity I have contacted VOSA enforcement today who confirmed what I had originally thought, there is nothing in the rules that says when you should have a break. What chance do we stand of understaning the rules when VOSA can’t even get it right! Shame he didn’t give me a ticket cause he would have looked a bit silly in Court!

Am I the only person thinking maybe you got the wrong end of the stick here? I think when he quoted the 4.5 hours, he was doing it from a “for safety, I’d advise you take a driving break after driving 4.5 hours driving blah blah blah”

If he genuinely thought you should of had a break after 4.5 hours, then I don’t think he’d have just sent you on your way.

Adam_Mc:

Fileep:

Am I the only person thinking maybe you got the wrong end of the stick here? I think when he quoted the 4.5 hours, he was doing it from a “for safety, I’d advise you take a driving break after driving 4.5 hours driving blah blah blah”

If he genuinely thought you should of had a break after 4.5 hours, then I don’t think he’d have just sent you on your way.

No it wasn’t a safety thing, he stated that I still should adhere to EU regs with regards to breaks etc.

Good old domestics, no-one has a bloody clue when it comes to them. When i got collered that time that time for having a ■■■■ on a slip road by the ‘A12 Police’, they had no idea about domestics, and even after spending 15 minutes looking through this big book they were none the wiser, telling me there’s nothing in here about milk collections being on domestic rules :unamused:

One of our drivers got tugged in Johns Cross on the A21 and got a ‘warning’ for not taking a 30 minute break after 6 hours, yet another driver got pulled in the same place and was when he asked, was told he didn’t have to :unamused:

thread split due to certain comments.

thread split due to certain comments.

i run on domestic rules. I was told:-

instead of 4.5 hours then a 45 minute break its 5.5 hours then 30 minute break. (but the second stint should be 4.5 hours are you are not supposed to drive more than 10hours)

A break of 10 hours between ‘duties’ that can be reduced to 8.5 hours 3 times a week.

however i dont understand it properly, as we have very experienced drivers who seem quite happy to do two five and half hours stints with a 30 minute break in the middle. Im pretty sure ill better check up on that! :unamused: :laughing:

stuartrobbie:

instead of 4.5 hours then a 45 minute break its 5.5 hours then 30 minute break. (but the second stint should be 4.5 hours are you are not supposed to drive more than 10hours)

The 5.5 hours and 30 minutes thing is for drivers of passenger vehicles driving under domestic rules. No break required for goods vehicles under domestic rules.

stuartrobbie:
A break of 10 hours between ‘duties’ that can be reduced to 8.5 hours 3 times a week.

That’s also for passenger vehicles. Goods vehicles is just 11 hours duty in 24 hours.

what was the VOSA blokes name mr dolittle or timehalf man

Coffeeholic:

stuartrobbie:

The 5.5 hours and 30 minutes thing is for drivers of passenger vehicles driving under domestic rules. No break required for goods vehicles under domestic rules.

stuartrobbie:

That’s also for passenger vehicles. Goods vehicles is just 11 hours duty in 24 hours.

cheers, im still struggling to get used to all the different hours, done my theory test for lgv exaclty a year after my pcv ones! still carrying around laminated a4 sheets with all the details of hours, just to check up every now and again :blush: