Volvo FM 440Grab Lorry Remapping

Hi there.

Can anyone help please? We have an 8 wheel 440 bhp Volvo Tipper Grab with I Shift, Have lately been thinking about a remap which apparantly can give and extra 80 odd bhp and a good extra dose of torque. But !

The but is ,our fitter seems to think that if you remap the engine then the automatic I shift gearbox has to be remapped at the same time or otherwise the gearbox could blow up with all the extra torque ■■

Have talked to a truck tuning firm who says nope the gearbox doesnt need doing at all ,hmmmm ?

Help please many of you must have had a remap on your volvo with automatic gearbox ?

Ps; Truck max at Wisbech has just fitted a 5 inch straight through side pipe with divertor ,sounds fantastic and should get better ,brilliant noises underload ,would sound even better with a remap lol !

Your thoughts please much welcomed before we blow a gearbox up !!

Course it won’t blow up.
How would remapping a gearbox stop it blowing up from extra torque? Makes no sense at all.

Yes you can reset its adaptation values to get it used to the new power curve, but it’s made to handle far more power than it will ever see.

Good good thats what i want to hear , did think it was a funny thing to say when he said it ,a very experienced fitter as well !

Anyone remapped a 440with Ishift would love to hear from you please !

Firstly there is more than one spec of I shift torque capacity ranging from 2,400 to 3,550 nm.

While the standard 440 engine seems to put out 2,200 nm peak torque the I shift spec in it seems to be 2,400 max.Which leaves the question exactly how much torque increase is provided by the re map especially if it involves more turbo boost pressure. ?. :bulb: