Visability in Dafs

I learned in an N reg Leyland Daf 65 and had a big problem with the placement of the mirrors and the seal that divides the part of the side windows that open, and the part that doesn’t. When approching roundabouts the combination of the cab pillar (is it still an ‘A’ pillar on a lorry cab, like a car?) the mirror and that seal make it very hard to see to the right.

Since passing I’ve found the same problem on new 03 reg Daf CF65s and on a W reg Leyland Daf 45 7.5t. I’ve driven two Ivecos (Super Cargo and Eurotech) and a Volvo FL618 as well since passing and they’ve all had far better visability.

I have to say the Dafs are a joy to be in apart from this problem and possibly that the space under the steering wheel is a bit tight when you are as tall as me and don’t want to be sitting too low, but it’s enough to make me prefer driving an R Reg FL6 to an 03 Reg CF.

Now if only Volvo had fitted an assisted clutch and linked the seat belt to the air suspended seat so it doesn’t knock the wind out of you on a bump!

Up until a month ago, I was driving a 03 XF and found it an absolute joy to drive except the blind spots on the nearside were a pain. We had an extra mirror fitted so that there were 1 big one and two small ones but still there were blind spots. I do the majority of my driving on the continent and found driving a rhd daf on lhd roads made me much more aware and extra careful - just in case.
I’ve got a new actros now and although the visisbilty on that side is probably a bit better, there still is a few spots where i can’t see at all.

i never found the daf as a problem.

but the volvo fm9 im driving at the moment when ever i get to a roundabout i have to move about like a headless chicken because of the placement of the driverside mirror and the blind spot mirror on the bottom of it.

it has to be the worse mirror on a truck imho. :unamused:

jon

I guess it might be something to do with taller and shorter people having different views.

jonboy:
i never found the daf as a problem.

but the volvo fm9 im driving at the moment when ever i get to a roundabout i have to move about like a headless chicken because of the placement of the driverside mirror and the blind spot mirror on the bottom of it.

it has to be the worse mirror on a truck imho. :unamused:

jon

Just passed my class 1 in the same lorry. The driving instructor commented on the mirrors, saying much the same as yourself.