Vehicle Weights

dew:
That in 8 wheeler? Does sound a bit lardy. We used to get 21.6T in an 8x4 Volvo FL10, DAF came in slightly heavier (about 20.9 IIRC)

We’ve got one of the last Fodens with an alloy body with liner fitted; carries 20.5 but the rest are steel bodied carrying about 19.5, except for an FM12 with alloy that carries 19.7. There’s too much crap fitted to them nowadays with adblu systems, auto tailgates auto 'boxes etc…

Muckaway:

dew:
That in 8 wheeler? Does sound a bit lardy. We used to get 21.6T in an 8x4 Volvo FL10, DAF came in slightly heavier (about 20.9 IIRC)

We’ve got one of the last Fodens with an alloy body with liner fitted; carries 20.5 but the rest are steel bodied carrying about 19.5, except for an FM12 with alloy that carries 19.7. There’s too much crap fitted to them nowadays with adblu systems, auto tailgates auto 'boxes etc…

One of the reasons we love our 05 DAF. Pre Ad-blue, Manual Sheet, Manual Tailgate, Disc tacho’s… The good old days. :laughing:

Don’t get me started on my Auto Tailgate rant. What a stupid idea they are!

mucker85:

Muckaway:

mucker85:
if you are thinking of having a tag make sure you have twin wheels otherwise it might get unstable at full tip

do you do much off road work? having an un-driven rear axle may give you traction issues.

it’s a shame we can’t get the rear-lift driven axle i saw in one of the truck mags a few months ago. i think the company uses merc cabs but i can’t remember who they are called.

Hills of Swindon?

Not what I mean.

There was an article in either ‘trucking’ or ‘truck and driver’ a few months ago about one of the commercial vehicle shows.
At this show was a stand from a truck manufacturer (i can’t remember if it was Swedish, Norwegian, German or Russian, somewhere snowy most of the time) who had developed a driven rear axle that you can raise when running light, when in the raised position the drive disengages. I think the article also said the company had signed a deal with Merc to supply cabs and they would trade other components BUT the company is NOT owned by Merc. I’m having a look through my old mag’s to try and find it.

Sisu from Finland

Basically Merc cab and driveline on Finnish-built chassis/axles.

Easier to drive/steer (esp on ice) when unladen if the rear axle is raised.

Our drivers were asked to get out and check the auto tailgates were shut; What’s the point of having them if you have to do that? Might as well save the weight and have an old fashioned locking pin…

GasGas:

mucker85:

Muckaway:

mucker85:
if you are thinking of having a tag make sure you have twin wheels otherwise it might get unstable at full tip

do you do much off road work? having an un-driven rear axle may give you traction issues.

it’s a shame we can’t get the rear-lift driven axle i saw in one of the truck mags a few months ago. i think the company uses merc cabs but i can’t remember who they are called.

Hills of Swindon?

Not what I mean.

There was an article in either ‘trucking’ or ‘truck and driver’ a few months ago about one of the commercial vehicle shows.
At this show was a stand from a truck manufacturer (i can’t remember if it was Swedish, Norwegian, German or Russian, somewhere snowy most of the time) who had developed a driven rear axle that you can raise when running light, when in the raised position the drive disengages. I think the article also said the company had signed a deal with Merc to supply cabs and they would trade other components BUT the company is NOT owned by Merc. I’m having a look through my old mag’s to try and find it.

Sisu from Finland

Basically Merc cab and driveline on Finnish-built chassis/axles.

Easier to drive/steer (esp on ice) when unladen if the rear axle is raised.

Yes, that’s the one. I was close with the snowy bit. I don’t know if there is one in the UK yet.

Muckaway:
Our drivers were asked to get out and check the auto tailgates were shut; What’s the point of having them if you have to do that? Might as well save the weight and have an old fashioned locking pin…

Exactly what my rant is :laughing: No one with half a brain would drive off a site or quarry assuming it’s shut (when the driver could face a fine if the load is spilt). So if you’re going to the back to check its shut, you might as well be shutting the ■■■■ thing yourself!

dew:

Muckaway:

dew:

One of the reasons we love our 05 DAF. Pre Ad-blue, Manual Sheet, Manual Tailgate, Disc tacho’s… The good old days. :laughing:

Don’t get me started on my Auto Tailgate rant. What a stupid idea they are!

What’s wrong with an auto sheet? And I like Digi tacho, so much easier.

Freddie2112:
What’s wrong with an auto sheet? And I like Digi tacho, so much easier.

We have a lot of springs break especially in winter (the front to back, up and over sort); When they were originally fitted we were told to have them in the sheeted position as much as possible to reduce tension on the springs. I can’t see it has made any difference…we have nets instead of plastic sheet and lime blows off even when sheeted and the sheet arms are a pain when getting in and out of tight spaces. Having said that it’s nicer to flick a switch instead of wrestling with an “easysheet” in a gale :laughing:

Digi tacho can take or leave really, just came with the age that it’s a disc one.

And Auto sheet = more to go wrong in my eyes.