8x2 Rear Lift/Steer Question

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if any of you guys running an 8x2 rear lift/steer could shed some light for me. Ive only ever ran double drive chassis for bulk animal feed delivery, but Im considering an 8x2 rear steer to replace our old 6x4 but we have quite a few tight farms to access;

What is the manouverability of an 8x2 like compared to a 6x4?
Do the rear wheels drop automatically when loaded?
My 8x4 Scanias 2 rear axles share the same springs, what is the rear suspension arrangement for an 8x2 rear lift/steer? I assume the rear axle is on air but what about the drive axle?
Assuming the max gross is still 32T for an 8x2?
What about snowy/icy conditions with one drive axle?

Cheers
George

I’ve got an 8x2 non steering lift axle on an R420.

Both rear axles are on air and the tag will always lower itself well before the drive axle gets anywhere near it’s 11.5t max. There is a display on the dash which displays the axle weights for air suspended axles.
I do plant so a fair amount of off road driving, even with the Opticruise gearbox I’ve not managed to get it stuck yet, I was in a quarry yesterday and it was interesting but achievable. When you are loaded lightish but with enough to drop the tag axle then you may have some traction issues, you then have the difflock and another switch which allows you to transfer some of the loading from the tag to the drive. It will allow you to overload the drive axle too, I got mine to about 13.5t on the drive axle. Once you are on firm ground press the switch the other way and it will return to normal.

When we looked into a new chassis I thought we may as well enquire about a rear steer 8x2, the dealer reckoned they’d never done and it would cost an extra £8k for it to be steered.

Mine runs on super singles and the axle weights are as follows

1. 8500
  2. 8500
  3. 11500
  4. 8500

That totals 360000kg although the GVW is 32t it gives flexibility and reduces the chances of overloading the front axles. (I also have a HIAB)

I think that you’d find a twin steer is always going to be a little less agile than a 6x4 but with my tag axle raised it is probably better than my previous 6x2 was with the axle lowered.

Hello George

Our firm are considering the same as you are. think they’ve got some on trial at other mills but we haven’t seen one yet.

Weve had 8x2 lift-axles in the past (Volvo FM12) but not steering rears; axle will usually come up with the back box empty for shunting on farms. Wheels do drop when loaded, but you need to switch them down unless you’ve got less than 9 tonnes on, otherwise it can screw the lift pump.

Drive axle is still on springs.

Yes you still run at 32 tonnes GVW.

Personally I find little difference between 8x4 and 8x2 on ice or snow; only bonus with 8x4 is you can drop your cross-locks in, tip the cake backwards and have traction on the rear axle of course. On the other hand, with an 8x2 you’ve got so much more manouverability once you’ve emptied the back box and can raise the axle.

hi george

well what 8 wheels and G G have said is very true and well described i have drove 2 sister scanias 8wheelers 6x2 rear stears for the last year and you can put them in places you struggled with with a 4 wheeler !! The fact of grip is true but with the T C and the diff and the weight distribution switch i have never got stuck in and out of farms unlike my daf 6 x2 bag lorry i drive now and have had to have a tow on more than one ocassion , one thing one of are guys got warned by vostapo at newport that be couldnt have 5 ton in back compartment (over weight but not enough to be done ) advised 4.5 ton on back comp !!

017.JPG

100_1360.JPG

014.JPG

agree with all above , the axle will drop at a preset loading , but you can dump the air from the back axle if TC & diff isnt enough , most of the MVF 8wheeler fleet is going the 8x2 route & drivers who’ve had concerns about going from double drive > rear stearlift don’t seem to complain as much as you’d expect them to, & there’s a great deal to be saved on tyre scrub when yer shunting around in 6 wheeler drops to get to the bins !
as like pimmer i’ve not been stuck with them either so it either cant be that bad or we’re just exceptional drivers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

oh yeah the MVF elite… :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for taking the time to reply folks, its quite reassuring to hear that you can weight up the drive axle any time you get stuck. I think we will look more seriously into purchasing a rear lift/steer after hearing your comments, we need to replace our old 6x4 which has always been used to do our tight farms, but Id much prefer an 8w to be able to do everything!

gwmckay:
Thanks for taking the time to reply folks, its quite reassuring to hear that you can weight up the drive axle any time you get stuck. I think we will look more seriously into purchasing a rear lift/steer after hearing your comments, we need to replace our old 6x4 which has always been used to do our tight farms, but Id much prefer an 8w to be able to do everything!

let us know what you do and what you get george ! what part of the country do you operate in mate ?

pimmer73:

gwmckay:

let us know what you do and what you get george ! what part of the country do you operate in mate ?

No probs, I will do. Im from Northern Ireland and work for United Feeds in Belfast

Don’t if this helps there is an ex ABN fm12 8x2 working out of Thompsons think Pepper owns it now.
Plus Moore’s run a daf cf 8x2.
My dad use to drive for ABN drove both there volvos the 8x4 and 8x2.
The 8x2 would get in to a farm in one go where as the 8x4 would need one are two shunts to get in.
The 8x2 will get in to the same places as a 6x4. Once the driver is use to it.

Mixerman:
Don’t if this helps there is an ex ABN fm12 8x2 working out of Thompsons think Pepper owns it now.
Plus Moore’s run a daf cf 8x2.
My dad use to drive for ABN drove both there volvos the 8x4 and 8x2.
The 8x2 would get in to a farm in one go where as the 8x4 would need one are two shunts to get in.
The 8x2 will get in to the same places as a 6x4. Once the driver is use to it.

Yeah I knew Moores were running a CF 8x2 but wasnt sure if it was rear steer or just a trailing axle. My 8x4 gets in most places that a 6x4 does, but as you say it takes a few shunts sometimes. Often think people must be wondering if i can drive at all when im shunting to get in someones lane!!

pimmer73:
hi george

one of are guys got warned by vostapo at newport that be couldnt have 5 ton in back compartment (over weight but not enough to be done ) advised 4.5 ton on back comp !!

this of course depends on the configuration of the compartment doors it’s fitted with .

any ideas of the make you’ll go for ? the scanias are proving a handy bit of kit although those hell bent on not wanting them don’t seem very willing to give them up :unamused: & the DAFs we have are vague in the auto gearbox & have been troublesome with the AD-BLU systems , the dash also tends to go into disco mode regularly :open_mouth: we only had one rear steer volvo & that had been trouble no lift & wouldn’t steer & is now scrapped although i think volvo do offer a lift steer on the FMX

DAF (and I assume the other makers) have started doing a new 8x4 Set up with rear steer designed for jobs such as Milk and feeds. Basically layout is like an American 8 (1 axle at front, 3 at the back) which could be better for what you need.

MolePower:

pimmer73:
hi george

one of are guys got warned by vostapo at newport that be couldnt have 5 ton in back compartment (over weight but not enough to be done ) advised 4.5 ton on back comp !!

this of course depends on the configuration of the compartment doors it’s fitted with .

any ideas of the make you’ll go for ? the scanias are proving a handy bit of kit although those hell bent on not wanting them don’t seem very willing to give them up :unamused: & the DAFs we have are vague in the auto gearbox & have been troublesome with the AD-BLU systems , the dash also tends to go into disco mode regularly :open_mouth: we only had one rear steer volvo & that had been trouble no lift & wouldn’t steer & is now scrapped although i think volvo do offer a lift steer on the FMX

We had originally thought of DAF, but ideally Scania. We’re thinking of putting the body on ourselves so it would be a chassis/cab were after, not sure how much more a Scania would cost over a DAF? By the sounds of things the DAF was enough trouble for you, I know of a couple of CFs that crunched every time you engaged third and seventh, sounds like a fault there too :frowning:

dew:
DAF (and I assume the other makers) have started doing a new 8x4 Set up with rear steer designed for jobs such as Milk and feeds. Basically layout is like an American 8 (1 axle at front, 3 at the back) which could be better for what you need.

Yeah I noticed that layout on DAFs website, never checked out the turning circles or anything yet, but it might be worth looking at. They do look a bit ‘odd’ though, but I’m guessing with number 2 axle shifted back, I could mount the blower further forward than a normal 8x4 and get away with a shorter PTO shaft. Mine is 7ft on my current 8x4 and is nothing but trouble :frowning:

gwmckay:

dew:

Yeah I noticed that layout on DAFs website, never checked out the turning circles or anything yet, but it might be worth looking at. They do look a bit ‘odd’ though, but I’m guessing with number 2 axle shifted back, I could mount the blower further forward than a normal 8x4 and get away with a shorter PTO shaft. Mine is 7ft on my current 8x4 and is nothing but trouble :frowning:

Guess it’ll throw the weights back a touch, not sure if it’d lead to overloading the front axle easily though. Afraid I don’t know a great deal about them as in our line of work, the standard 8x4 Double Drive is the weapon of choice.

I saw the post on the old BigLorryBlog, so no chance of finding it again now I’m afraid, tried a few quick searches but to no avail.

The 1+3 arrangement is also known as a tridem, may help in the search.

When we looked at chassis prices about a year ago a Scania G400 day cab 8x2 was £88k an FM400 8x2 was about £72k that was with a PTO on a standard distribution type chassis.