Valley Carriers Ltd Penarth

time to bump this up a bit
here is a picture to try and help if any one has any pictures of this in service with valley carriers would be of great help with tracking the history of the lorry

Hi Phil, my late father Eddie Hayman, was the founder of Valley Carriers and it’s Chairman/MD until he sold out to Wincanton Transport /Unigate in 1974. As a schoolboy, I remember 493 FTG and most of the rest of the fleet as it was my job to wash them at the weekends. The majority of our fleet was operated under a contract with Distillers Plastics in Sully, Nr Cardiff, and carried plastics all over the UK and latterly across Europe. This truck was bought new from AEC Dealer, CV Sales Penarth RD Cardiff as a chassis cab. The body was built by Grove Garages a subsidiary company of Valley Carriers, who also painted the cream and green British Geon choice of livery. I am delighted to see your efforts and interest and will try to find photographs of your vehicle and would be glad to give you any other help or information.

that would be great thankyou the work shop has been quieter in the last couple of weeks so the AEC has realy come on leaps and bounds .
kind regards Phill

Hello c2cms
I was very interested to read your contribution about Valley Carriers and your late father. In 1965 when I started working for Glyn Morgan ,a Porthcawl haulier. We used to load out of BP through Valley Carriers . We always used to have preferential treatment because Glyn was a good friend of your father,I seem to remember that they may have been in the RAF together but I cant be sure about that. We always used to joke with your shunter in BP at that time ,he was an ex-soldier everybody called "Brecon Barracks "because thats where he had been stationed.
Most of the loads we carried were fine but we all dreaded the latex in paper sacks.it always seemed to move on the road,it used to frighten the life out of me but that was maybe because I was just a beginner at the time.
Best wishes to you,Bookworm

c2cms:
Hi Phil, my late father Eddie Hayman, was the founder of Valley Carriers and it’s Chairman/MD until he sold out to Wincanton Transport /Unigate in 1974. As a schoolboy, I remember 493 FTG and most of the rest of the fleet as it was my job to wash them at the weekends. The majority of our fleet was operated under a contract with Distillers Plastics in Sully, Nr Cardiff, and carried plastics all over the UK and latterly across Europe. This truck was bought new from AEC Dealer, CV Sales Penarth RD Cardiff as a chassis cab. The body was built by Grove Garages a subsidiary company of Valley Carriers, who also painted the cream and green British Geon choice of livery. I am delighted to see your efforts and interest and will try to find photographs of your vehicle and would be glad to give you any other help or information.

Thought this might be of interest,Distillers Plastics.

Hi Phil
A few photos off my computer, unfortunately haven’t found any of yours yet, although it could well be in the background behind the crushed cab. I hope these give you an idea of colours, liveries etc.
231 UTX freshly painted and awaiting the sign writer.
490 FTG - a close relative of your truck. Unfortunately having sustained fire damage.
966 WNY - probably the pride of the fleet at that time and our first of many Metalair bulk powder tankers.
82 STX another from the disaster album, in the background an unidentified AEC in the Valley Carriers red and cream ‘A’ license livery. I hope these are of interest - Stuart

I will look up others I have which will need to be scanned before I can send them to you.

Sorry want to say 83 STX instead of 82 STX and this was a victim of the latex powder in paper bags mentioned in Bookworms posting. This incident was outside what is now `Dow Corning’, Barry Rd., Barry. I have found another photo to illustrate the hazard of the powder bags. Thanks to Chris Webb for posting GTX 729C one of our first tilt cabs, I think, and it is pulling VC29 a 40ft M&G tandem axle in Valley Carriers red.

found this while looking round

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A bit of an update this was taken after the aec show at Newark Trevor Parry (standing) and his Brother John.

URL=ImageShack - family photo 1.JPG][/URL]

HI Mister ,Parry a fine job thats been done what a belter ,keep up the good work, cheers Barry

Hi im Trying to do some research into an AEC Mustang that we are restoring at Work it was new to Valley Carriers Ltd Penarth in 1960 i would like to know who they were what work they were involved with and if any one has any information on the vehicle while it was in their ownership? the Reg no is 493FTG and was sold by Valley Carriers in 1966 to M.J. Parry & Sons Shrewsbury any help with this would be a great help thanks

Phill

Here is a picture ive nicked out of the shropshire livestock haulage thread of the AEC in its M.J parry days

courtesy of the shropshire star

I remember Valley Carriers of Sully,Penarth.They did a lot of work for BP Plastics,but I’m sure the South Wales lads can tell you more. :slight_smile:

legion:
Hi im Trying to do some research into an AEC Mustang that we are restoring at Work it was new to Valley Carriers Ltd Penarth in 1960 i would like to know who they were what work they were involved with and if any one has any information on the vehicle while it was in their ownership? the Reg no is 493FTG and was sold by Valley Carriers in 1966 to M.J. Parry & Sons Shrewsbury any help with this would be a great help thanks

Phill

hi phil,
to be honest i don’t remember valley carriers,as i was still very young when they ceased trading.i bought an old tandem axle trailer from rhp transport in telford back in march 1999.that very motor was parked in their yard then.
regards andrew.

legion:

Phill

hi phil,
to be honest i don’t remember valley carriers :blush: ,as i was still very young when they ceased trading.i bought an old tandem axle trailer from rhp transport in telford back in march 1999.that very motor was parked in their yard then.
regards andrew.

it went to the aec rally at Newark at the weekend in its part restored condition and went down a treat we just need to finish it and get a bit more history on the old girl now i will try and get a picture up of the current condition