Using 2nd gear

This might seem a stupid question, but why do you have to use 2nd gear when pulling away?

You don’t have to it’s just first is normally so low geared you end up changing straight away. Bear in mind that first needs to be able to move a fully laden vehicle from an uphill start, so you can appreciate the gearing involved.

mrpj:
You don’t have to it’s just first is normally so low geared you end up changing straight away.

Thanks for that…my dad told me its because that 1st is so low ratio’d that using it would blow the engine up… :open_mouth:

DAF95XF:

mrpj:
You don’t have to it’s just first is normally so low geared you end up changing straight away.

Thanks for that…my dad told me its because that 1st is so low ratio’d that using it would blow the engine up… :open_mouth:

:laughing: Another one for the book of “Urban Myths” :unamused: .

I was taught that by my Main instructor too!!! Then every other instructor has questioned what am I doin pulling off in 2nd■■? :confused:

Really has not helped, trying to reteach myself whilst on test, not good @ all :cry:

Really has not helped, trying to reteach myself whilst on test, not good @ all

I learnt in a 5 speed Scania, never used 1st except for the gear change ex. Examiner had no problem with it.

I was basically told this morning I should set off in 3rd gear unless it was a gear changing exercise!! was used to pulling away in 2nd then goin to 4th 5th.

Today was trying to go 3rd click switch 5th etc it just wasnt the ideal time to try something completly different to what i was used too

was that the only thing u failed on …gears

stvme2519:
was that the only thing u failed on …gears

yep he gave me a serious for it!!! think if I hadnt have stalled on hill start I’d have been OK & only had 8 minors yet on my 1st test I didnt have a problem with the gears

gutted ull ■■■■ it then no clipped kerbs…if i forget what gear im in i just feel for flick switch b4 change if up then i know im in upper gears…just down to practise when u driving u wont even think ull just know which gear ur in

stvme2519:
gutted ull [zb] it then no clipped kerbs…if i forget what gear im in i just feel for flick switch b4 change if up then i know im in upper gears…just down to practise when u driving u wont even think ull just know which gear ur in

Top man :smiley:

Rob K:

DAF95XF:

mrpj:

:laughing: Another one for the book of “Urban Myths” :unamused: .

well theoretically if you thrashed the motor along it 1st it would blow up, but you would have to be pretty daft to do it.

Depends on the truck, the load and the incline as to what gear you pull off in. If you;re fully loaded going uphil then 1st is probably what you want. If you;re heading downhill then 3rd, 4th even 5th might be ok to pull off in. If you had a big engine and a 16 speed box the 6th would probably be ok on the flat unladen.

The only reason you dont start off in 1st all the time is to save you work as a driver, unlike most cars you dont need to use all the gears missing a few out when you can saves you work and allows you to build up speed faster.

When I did my HGV training I was taught 1st when loaded, but only if you know you need it or don’t know the truck. 2nd unloaded, unless going downhill ie. most of the time on the test & during instruction. And 3rd when starting whilst pointing down hill.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY LISTEN TO THE ENGINE AS THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN EVERY VEHICLE OR EVERY SITUATION RULE WHEN IT COMES TO GOOD DRIVING.

Just spent a few days on some ‘y’ reg Scanias, range change type, class 2. Never used 1st, empty truck, on a downslope, 3rd was fine even 4th, and sometimes 5th when I got lost in the gears :smiley:
Next job, (agency) was a ‘y’ reg Volvo removal truck, kept jumping out of 2nd on pull away, must have had a hard life :confused:

There was a story somewhere on here that said if anyone drove a truck of his and didnt start in first gear he would sack them :stuck_out_tongue:

Somebody will dig it out and explain to the fool that he was wrong AGAIN :smiley:

Hey DAF95XF,

Great question - I had the very same question when I started.

My understanding is… when you’re carrying a heavy load you need more torque to get yourself moving - therefore gear 1 is used.

When you not carrying anything (ie LGV training!), gear 2 (or 3) is ample to pull away from standstill.

On a test - the gear change exercise is designed to demonstrate you can use gear 1 (even though you don’t it when not carrying a load).

Truck manfacturers recommend their ‘baby’ is pulled away in gear 1 - but if gear 2 is good for the DSA… it’s good enough for me… lol

Hope this helps!

Cheers,