Pulling Away

I was talking to an owner driver on the ferry on friday…anyway we got talking about the repair he had done whilst abroad and we got talking about clutches in particular. he asked me what gear i pulled away in (donkey jacket and wellington boots came to mind) but i said normally second gear…but depends on the circumstances…a very steep hill…fully loaded etc…he asked me if i ever used first gear …i told him only in exceptional circumstances…then your not a good driver he replied…and i certainly would not employ you…he said he always pulls away in first…even with an empty trailer…or unit only…and said thats the way to look after a clutch…whats your thoughts on that conversation.

truckyboy:
he said he always pulls away in first…even with an empty trailer…or unit only…and said thats the way to look after a clutch…whats your thoughts on that conversation.

you were talking to a [zb] :laughing:

That had to go. Sorry! L. :wink:

I consider myself to be very considerate to anything mechanical, Along with Truckyboy and many others who have driven tankers, especially without baffles, they teach you to be very smooth.

In my opinion, first gear is too low for normal starts, sometimes second is too. it depends on the gearbox I suppose.

An RT09 box had a crawler gear which was rarely used and the 13 speed was the same box with a splitter.

A ZF 16 speed ecosplit can easily cope with 3rd low to pull away in even with 44 tonne.

When I had a twin splitter I would use 1st gear in hi split (position 3)

I too think you were talking to a [zb] :stuck_out_tongue:

I have read stories about the 3 position Volvo and Scania boxes you should pull away in 1st though.

I will judge the best gear for the task in hand and a donkey jacket seems a good choice :stuck_out_tongue:

And that one…L. :wink:

kojak:
you were talking to a [zb] :laughing:

ditto.

Ever get a feeling of deja vu? :laughing: L. :wink:

Some large compaines insist on trucks starting off in first.
If I remember rightly, either Scania or Volvo have stickers in their windscreens stating that you should do this to ease the load on the clutch.
Me personally, I use 2nd or 3rd when loaded, and 5th when empty.
That may change though depending on how the clutch lasts.

Scania’s have the little sticker on the windscreen & if you dont get it right a warning light says CLUTCH OVERLOAD. Also Scania say that if the clutch wear is down to the driver they will not pay. Thats on the R series.

That had to go. Sorry! L. :wink:
[/quote]

fair comment :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

any gear where it doesnt stall :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thats exactly what i thought…and that wheelnut is too technical for me. :laughing: :laughing:

:confused: Well depends on loads of things, weight, gearbox, ratios, gradient, traffic etc.
I use 2nd, 3rd or even higher, and managing to get near 540000 kms out of one clutch must mean good use of the correct gears which is very rarely 1st. :unamused: :smiley:

DAF recommend 2nd but I find it’s fine in low third

the guy is living in the stone age.
i always use 2nd when loaded and 3rd maybe 4th when empty.

i know a lot of old trucks used to have the stickers in them saying “always pull away in first” but times have changed.
imagine a damp road and your trying to pull away in first in your fh 12. you would still be there two weeks later with your wheels still spinning.

another point is this.
take the merc manual telligent gearbox for example.when loaded it will select second gear for pulling away 99.9% of the time. when empty it will always select 4th to pull away, unless you overide it. the auto version does the same and remember that this is not a real auto but a electronically controlled manual gearbox. if it was bad for the clutch the mercedes would reprogramme the gearbox
a lot of auto,s are like this.

times have moved on and engines produce a lot more torque compared to the old 180 gardners. theres no real need to pull away in first . steep hill starts excluded.

look on the bright side though.
at least he would not employ you, :wink:
imagine working for him, no thank you. :laughing:

I drive an Eaton twin split and always use 2/1 if loaded and 2/2 if empty and only very rarely use 1st. This is how I was taught to drive a twin split, by a driver with over 40 years experience. :slight_smile:

what a ■■■■■■ did you tell him or ask him the best way over tahir pass or how long a round trip to saudi should take then point out who’s got the most experiance■■?

Dave K:
I drive an Eaton twin split and always use 2/1 if loaded and 2/2 if empty and only very rarely use 1st. This is how I was taught to drive a twin split, by a driver with over 40 years experience. :slight_smile:

i pull away in 2/1(4th) with mine too, running at 43 ton. but the slightest incline means 1/3 (3rd to those who dont know. :wink: ) empty mine will pull away in 3/1 (7th) with no judder what so ever, and will leave most trucks for dead.
i guess now im back on an erf i had better change my avatar. :wink:

I drive a Volvo I-Shift and it pulls away in 4th when empty or not fully loaded if it is VERY heavy it will use 2nd i have never seen it go in to 1st gear.

My newish (04) 6 speed 14 tonne DAF LF has a sticker saying ‘always move off in first’.

I use second, or third for a downhill start, that’s what I was taught.

I haven’t had too much weight on yet, but I’d have thought that second would be ok even fully loaded (it’s a 180).

On an eight speed range change I’ve always gone 3,5,6,7,8 unless it was fully loaded then I might have used second.

WHEN mercedes was doing the save fuel by less use of the gears,
i am sure that they advocated useing the 2nd gear when emptey.

in the ERF ECT i use 2nd when loaded or uphill and 3rd when empty

ianyng:
If I remember rightly, either Scania or Volvo have stickers in their windscreens stating that you should do this to ease the load on the clutch.

Iveco have them also, well the Eurocargo I drive does anyway, although I always use 2nd to move off, loaded or empty, but its only a 7.5t so I guess doesnt count in this topic. :smiley: