URTU

I am close to deciding to join URTU. Whilst I still stand by what I said that the union(s) do zip to improve the industry, they are extremely handy for such events as 1) being (unfortunately) involved in a RTA, 2) suffering an injury whilst at work, 3) getting NIP’s paid and 4) work disputes over pay/holidays etc.

I think that the monthly outlay is a fairly small price to pay and as far as their track record goes with other members for sorting out stuff, I haven’t heard anything bad said about them in that respect.

So there you go :sunglasses: .

not certain about urtu they seem to live in a caravan at poplar 2000. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob

Talk to a friendly insurance guy!
He will sell you insurance to cover legal fee’s for all of the things you mentioned as well as a few more!

I bet it will save you a few bob as well!

I pay ten quid or so a month into URTU for those very reasons, never had cause to use them (apart from over the phone advice from their solicitors on none transport issues and they were okay), but I decided not to use other unions as I didn’t like their attitude.

Cheers

Ian.

having been a member of quite a few unions in my long and illustrius working career.i put the urtu up there among the best,they keep you well informed even the website as improved.go for it and join.

I will agree with what a has been posted about URTU. I left T&G because of their distinct lack of interest in a problem I had with a previous company, and joined URTU for the same reasons as you have put Rob.

Recently I have had to use their legal advice after a RTA and it was spot on and helped me sort the problem out. A friend has had the same experience as me with their legal helpline and advice.

For just under a tenner a month I think it’s very good value and think that many insurance companies would be hard pushed to compete especially as they are dedicated to the transport industry.

I’m an URTU member, but I havent had to use any of thier services yet, however my brother has made use of thier hardship fund :wink: If you know what I mean, and you won’t get insurance for that.
From experience the TGWU doesn’t seem so willing to fight the drivers corner, and seems more concerned with keeping well in with the Labour party and thier PC lobby.

I’ve belonged to the T & G at a bus company, & 20+ of us resigned, the T & G’s response, Nothing, they did not give a zb about its members even if that resulted in a mass resignation.
I’ve also belonged to the URTU & have nothing for praise for them, but I would agree with TC about insurance, however there is a way of getting union type support & cover for a fraction of the cost the oddfellows provide all sorts of back up, legal, financial plus social clubs etc & all for a couple of months union payments.

The oddfellows web site is here

oddfellows.co.uk/

It costs £20 per year & there lega back up is A1, or it was a few years ago when I need some advice.

I am a member of the URTU, because that is the union at our depot. At my last employer it was the T&G. I believe in union memebership as benefiting the whole workforce and not just drivers

The more people who join unions the stronger they will become.

The main problem is apathy, the members at our depot, rejected the latest pay offer from the company. Then only 7 out of the 50 odd members turned up at the branch meeting, called to discuss what the members actually wanted :exclamation: While more members turned up at the last meeting, it was still below the 51% required to make any decisions or pass any votes.

As for insurance, can you get loss of license insurance with other insurance companies and some unions still pay speeding/parking fines.

well said (workshy).couldnt agree more