Urgent (ish) advise please?

hi all, need a little advise if possible, I drive at the mo merc axor rigid, last week brake warning came on a few times red when handbrake released, and an orange air tank warning on display if braking, the pressure did,nt seem to go down much, anyways it went into garage over the weekend and came back to me today, one of my colleaques drove the truck to me and said he felt the brakes were not right… so i took truck for a spin and I agree, however no warning lights at all, and garage saying they have fully checked system and its fine… now it seems like when you are braking at times the brakes start to operate with a slight dip of the pedal other times it seems like the pedal has to travel further before brakes start to work… (it actually feels like if it was an hydraulic system that it as air in it, very spongy…) even tried emergency stop and the response to me is poor i would expect it to try and throw me towards windscreen but you can easily sit in the seat without any forward force… all this is when empty, the other thing is that when you press the brake pedal whilst parked up but engine running the pedal travels a certain distance and then seems to stop and then if you keep pressing it will go right to the floor, can,t hear any air leaks and the pressure does drop quite alot when you do this, never had this before on any other truck and i,m a little nervous of taking it out tomorrow with a heavy load… what do you guys think?? is there any other thing that could cause this? could i think its called pedal valve be faulty? cheers all…

If you aren’t happy with the brakes - defect it. It’s not your job to work out what’s wrong, it’s the garage’s.
If anyone insists that you take it out, tell them that you want it in writing.

The Sarge:
If you aren’t happy with the brakes - defect it. It’s not your job to work out what’s wrong, it’s the garage’s.
If anyone insists that you take it out, tell them that you want it in writing.

Sounds like they took the bulb out over the weekend :laughing: Let it Develop

i,m not trying to diagnose the problem, i,m just a bit concerned in what to do, the garage are saying its fine so as i know very little tbh is why i have asked on here,

can someone confirm wether the pedal should or should not be able to be pushed right to the floor pls,

You are the regular driver I presume?

If YOU don’t want to drive it because you think there is a problem, then don’t!

Report it, defect it, text the queen if you have to but don’t drive it if you’re not happy!

Simples :wink:

oops perhaps i should have mentioned that bit, i,m not the usual driver, its just a job i,m covering for a couple of weeks, i,m not comfortable with driving it but garage which to be fair is good, are saying its fine… bit of a rock and hard place,

I dont think any other truck i have had, have i been able to push the pedal to the floor like i can in this…

You say when you do an emergency stop its not very responsive, i think that is good enough reason not to drive it, but i understand the problem you’ve got, you dont want to come across as a moany old driver thats kicking up a fuss. Perharps you can get the other driver to back you up.

Was always said to me that its inconvienient if it wont go and tragic if it wont stop if your not happy defect and refuse to drive it i did this with an lf daf bout two years ago it went back to dealer 6 times always being given a clean bill of health untill i put foot down turned out it needed some kind of modulator valve and got disks and pads all round too truck was r&m and dealer just didnt want to spend any money on it

cheers guys,

think i will speak with the other driver and then contact the garage and go for a drive with them in the vehicle…

i,d rather be safe then sorry, but did,nt want to be seen to kick up too much of a fuss…

never drive something if you’re not happy with the brakes, but even more so once you’ve posted about it on an interweb forum :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

stevie

dle1uk:
cheers guys,

think i will speak with the other driver and then contact the garage and go for a drive with them in the vehicle…

i,d rather be safe then sorry, but did,nt want to be seen to kick up too much of a fuss…

The other driver has nothing to do with this. If you feel there is a problem then defect it.

What age is it? Are there any faults being stored in the computer? (you can check through the menu in the dash)
But generally as has been said, if you ain’t happy to drive it then dont!
Defect it and let the garage sort it out, don’t accept it back till you’re happy.

i wouldnt worry about moaning tbh, i do my fair share of it where i work, especially when i got 2 lift axle tyres on a trailer changed within 3 days :slight_smile:

and as we have no mechanics on site its a call out and somebody has to come to us and change it hehe