Volvo FH13 (2007) 480 - Brake Problem

HI,

I am wondering if any operators on here who have the FH13 480 model on their fleets have had the same annoying and quite frankly DANGEROUS problem that we have experienced on one of our tractor units.

Every now and again, and usually when braking is required, we get a message come up on the central driver display which reads “STOP - Brake System Failure!”. This is a red message and not an amber message.

When this message comes up, we find that the trailer has no supply to the brakes at all ! :open_mouth: This has happened several times over the last few months, and Volvo have found no faults with the brakes, supply etc. They have “reset the computer” to clear the “fault”. Upon calling up the diagnostics in the drivers display, I have seen several events referring to brake pedal sensor. However, Volvo have dismissed this.

I have found this to be an extremely dangerous fault, and I have basically told Volvo to keep the truck until they can guarantee that it wont happen again.

I isolated the trailer from the unit by way of disconnecting the ABS lead, and other electrical lines temporarily, and it is definitely a fault on the unit. What I fail to understand is:

1. There is no audiable warning when this fault occurs, so you are not instantly drawn to it.

2. The trailer brakes completely go, and this is particularly worrying when coming down a long slope!

3. The fault occurs as soon as the brake pedal is pressed, but is totally intermittent.However, if you switch off the engine, withdraw the key, wait a few seconds, then restart, the fault clears and brakes are restored!! :open_mouth:

Anyone??

This will scare you. I had a similar fault showing up on my FM. I took it into Crossroads in Batley and they had it about three hours. Just previously to that it had been playing silly buggers with the air suspension and worn a hole in the rear flaps. When the red warning light came on that was the last straw, they tested it, they swapped things I went out on roadtest with the techie, it still did it, he went home at the end of his shift, and his replacement came in and told me to turn on the headlights :unamused:

He then replaced two headlamp bulbs and it was never any bother from that day :open_mouth:

I don’t believe it either, but I saw him do it. We couldn’t get any new spray flap covers under warranty though. It was some sort of fault with the ECU that had blown the mainbeam lamps, the brakes were then affected by it

it will be the multi-circuit protection valve which is built into the air dryer-E. verry common fault. who is your volvo dealer?

truckers boy:
it will be the multi-circuit protection valve which is built into the air dryer-E. verry common fault. who is your volvo dealer?

Volvo at Nursling. Southampton. I wanted to try and get a heads up on this before taking it in again today as they have previously “fixed” it. Ive told them I dont want it back unless they guarantee its fixed this time, Nearly hit someone up the arse coming off the Tankarville Bridge in Le Havre the other morning.

Weird thing is though its the ability to cancel the fault by turning the motor off, then restarting it. And its funny you say the air dryer because only last week the air dryer filter light came on and I replaced the air dryer canister. The caution light for the air dryer was associated with number two air circuit dropping and rising. This also triggered the “compressor - over cycle” light to keep flashing up, but I could clear this on the stalk with the escape button. Too many sodding electronics in these trucks these days.

definetly sounds like the multi circuit protection valve tbh. the fault can be intermitant but if volvo say they cant fix a fault because thers no active codes then they need to be looking at the most present faults & the times they have acured, it will be stored on the indash memory the number of times the fault has happend & the dates/milage.

I run 3 volvo fh13 480’s on 57-08 plates and ive never had anything like that come up on the dash ? only red warning light i have ever seen on 1 of my trucks was water temp as the tentioner pulley bolt snapped and the fan belt came off and sent the temp through the roof.

needs some investigating that me thinks

Volvo MC are putting it down to a footbrake valve assembly, 428 Quid !!! :open_mouth: At least ■■■■ Turpin wore a mask! Apprarently the brake valve controls the EBS function

is it getting done under warranty? used to be able to get a repair kit for the footbrake valve

Thats a shocking carry on, you’d have thought Volvos would want to keep the ■■■■■■■ truck without being told to :open_mouth: . I’ve become very disillusioned with Volvos products recently I’ve had them from an F89 through to my current FH13 which I think is an over engineered pile of ■■■■■ and most models inbetween & I think they’re no better than any other manufacturer nowadays. I find the staff at both my local dealer & at Warwick a bunch of ■■■■■ too. Best I shut up & buy something else next time me thinks :blush: I really can’t believe them letting a truck like that out to work without them being certain its cured, I think I’d speak to VOSA about it & your dealer…

fly sheet:
Thats a shocking carry on, you’d have thought Volvos would want to keep the [zb] truck without being told to :open_mouth: . I’ve become very disillusioned with Volvos products recently I’ve had them from an F89 through to my current FH13 which I think is an over engineered pile of [zb] and most models inbetween & I think they’re no better than any other manufacturer nowadays. I find the staff at both my local dealer & at Warwick a bunch of ■■■■■ too. Best I shut up & buy something else next time me thinks :blush: I really can’t believe them letting a truck like that out to work without them being certain its cured, I think I’d speak to VOSA about it & your dealer…

Yes its our first Volvo and will probably be our last after this fiasco. Whats ■■■■■■ me off, is although its a used truck, the dealer said it would have a “warranty” on it. Now they say it was sold as seen. Im taking them to court shortly. Its been a money pit from day one

Yes its our first Volvo and will probably be our last after this fiasco. Whats ■■■■■■ me off, is although its a used truck, the dealer said it would have a “warranty” on it. Now they say it was sold as seen. Im taking them to court shortly. Its been a money pit from day one
[/quote]
sounds like you bought a pup :frowning:
we havent had any trouble with our FH13’s other than a tentioner bolt snapping on 1.What i tend to do if im buying a truck is look for one that is on contract hire/lease and if i know it has been maintained and looked after from day 1 ,i wait until it is due to come off contract and i ask volvo to give me the service history of the vehicle and if all seems ok i will buy it.Ive dont that for a few years now and it hasnt steer’d me wrong yet :slight_smile:

Volvo’s are very good trucks providing they have not been abused all there life.I make a point to all my drivers to was and hoover out the trucks every saturday.The drivers i have are alll ex owner drivers themselves and they all know how to look after the trucks.Im not saying that your drivers or yourself dont know how to look after your trucks…just that if you put a rough driver on your trucks you are bound to have problems…trust me “I KNOW !”

possible fault in trailer control valve/or wiring does weather affect it wet weather ect

mattaid:
possible fault in trailer control valve/or wiring does weather affect it wet weather ect

No the weather makes no difference.
It seems to be OK now after the brake pedal unit has been replaced, but time will tell as its been an intermittent fault.

Incidentally, the vehicle is ex DHL, and on paper seems to have been maintained really well. I dont think its a pup, but this problem leaving a driver with no trailer brakes seems a dangerous glitch to me.

Its sweet FA to do with the driver, He could be a complete novice, the driver sounds like Hes done a good job not to tw*t anything or Himself ,supplying a hoover :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Main dealer mantained more like unmaintained IMHO, Lets hope they’ve fettled it this time for you…

Well just an update…All seems well now. Went down to Marseille and back and it hasnt played up once. :smiley:

Must have been the faulty brake pedal sensor then. Seems a rip off to have to replace the whole pedal unit though. :unamused: