Unions - are they worth joining?

I am considering joining a union (TGWU or URTU) in my new job. People that I have spoke to are of differing opinions as to the value of membership. What are your views as to the pros and cons? :confused:

Personal opinion…Unions now adays about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, with the exception of the hopefully unlikely event of yourself having an industrial accident…again this is my own opinion

I am a union member.

A lot of people reckon that the unions don’t have enough clout any more, so won’t join.
I can see where that comes from, but its a double edged sword type of arguement. A unions clout comes from the percentage of the workforce, in that industry, who are members. The higher the percentage, the more clout the union will have. So the arguement that it has no clout so I won’t join ensures that the union will have no clout.
On the other hand, my union has a legal department, who are qualified to fight on behalf of truck drivers. For eg, one of my work-mates was recently in court over a speed camera speeding ticket. He was awarded another 3 points and a fine with costs. He now has 12 points on his licence, but didn’t loose it, he is therefore still working. The fine and costs came to a total of £120. (I recently got a fine with costs totaling £220, for driving through a 7.5t limit (except for access) in an 18tonner. Mistakenly thinking that I needed to use that road, to gain access to a delivery). I didn’t bother getting union representation, thinking I was OK. He did.
Both of the unions you mentioned have good points and bad. To help me decide which one to join, when I left the army many years ago, I sent them both a letter asking them what I got for my money. The repleis I got helped me decide on URTU. Which one you join, if any, is entirely up to you.
You could probably e-mail them these days.
The URTUs site is here.
The T & Gs site is here.

Many thanks Simon. I have been on the URTU link and asked for details to be sent. Dave.

been a union man all my working life,took the rough with the smooth (NUM strike).had a rough time then,but i have had more good than bad as a union man.at present a member ot URTU,highly recommend them.remember a union is only as strong as the members want it to be.

Also a member of URTU. TBH, I use them as an insurance policy at the moment. To have a bunch of solicitors behind you for £9.99 a month I feel is very good value. They have been more than helpful when I’ve rang them in the past (over a rent dispute), so for the peace of mind, I feel theyr’re well worth joining - mainly as a leagle insurance :wink: .

Well thanks to Maggie no one has to join a union anymore…but if the rest of the workforce are union and you are not then you could suffer with regards to wage rises etc…years ago when i started in this industry you had no choice…a lot of the work was in and out of the docks…and there was always a union bod there to check your card…if you diodnt have one then you didnt get in…i used to be a shop steward years ago and ran into an old friend of mine in Manchester who had actually joined the TGWU as a staff member…well i got talking as you do and noticed how smart he was…yeah he said its thanks to the union…all my suits…shirts…expenses…company car…a very good wage…thanks to the mugs who pay every week…thats one example…number 2. what about the post office strike years ago…no one got a penny cos there were insufficient funds in the kitty…what happened to that…and who went looking for it…mugs or what…and you can get cheaper insurance elsewhere if thats what you want to use the union for…the best union would be TNU…trucknet union…for only drivers and run by drivers…i rest my case…
have a nice day

have any of you had a look at the T&G campaigns? i might have missed something but i didnt see anything at all relating to us :open_mouth:

scanny77:
have any of you had a look at the T&G campaigns? i might have missed something but i didnt see anything at all relating to us :open_mouth:

no they have moved on to fleecing taxi drivers for there subs and trying to srew up that industry aswell, people never learn

My humble opinion,no.I,m in the t.g.w.u. and i read in the truck mags that there members can’t wait for the 48 hr week to come in.I’m sorry i don’t remember anyone from the union asking me what i thought about it,i mean i particuarly don’t won’t my wages cut.Maybe while Mr Ron Webb is banging on about the 48 hr week he’d spare a thought for his members who don’t want it.Also why whenever i see the unions commenting in the truck press all i ever see is him moaning about what petrol tanker drivers are earning,what about us in general haulage!,don’t we count.

My two penneth, for what it’s worth.

I find it more and more difficult to discuss the subject of Union membership and remain objective. As a member of a union for 26 years, in that time my experience has been that they give you what they think you want, or base the case on minority view, instead of consulting. I would also question the effectiveness of modern unions but balance that in saying whenever it goes to the wire the membership are perhaps not as supportive as it might be. I count myself in there too, whilst I try to be supportive of colleagues and the wider interest, I have to look after myself, no one else will.

Ultimately it’s ‘horses for courses’ but then the legal cover is not bad value and on the basis it costs me £18 per month I do often feel they get the gold mine and I get the shaft.

No easy answer I’m afraid. As already stated, you’ll have to talk to them both to see what they offer service wise.
I personally belong to the CWU (joined two years ago) but that was really because 99% of the staff belonged, so if there was any dispute, at least I would not have to cross picket line. The down side from what I see with the CWU (this is the only reference point I can use from experience) they try and look after the workers rights, but do at times operate with the ostrich syndrome. They are more worried about their own appearance and behaviour rather that react to that which is happening now and not twenty years ago.

The problem with unions representing minority views within the mebership is that most of us ( me included ) just sign up and pay the money then take no other action. Result is that all the re-actionary bods attend meetings and have their say and get the union to do what they want without any regard to the viewpoint of those who can’t be bothered to attend the meetings.

You don’t get what you pay for, you get what you fight for and if you’re at home watching the Bill or down the pub sinking a jar or two then you will get what the people who can be bothered to attend the meetings fights for.

Personally I’m salaried so bring on the WTD and I am in the union solely for the legal and technical support they can give me.

I arent in any union anymore, after spending money with URTU and T & G as Truckyboy said, so I could go on the docks.

URTU is the only union for drivers,

The T & G are looking to join this super union with Amicus, they wont care about truck drivers any more than they do now.

If you have a look on their web site you will see them advertising in Poland for members :open_mouth:

only been in one 18 yrs ago,got dismissed by company ,union rep was about as useful as square tyres,but he had to be there but that was then,now would not join even if closed shop,ild change job first.
currently going through WAGE deal with company and union doing there bit but guess what? still waiting some THREE months after the wage was to brought in,and no sign its going to get better before the wtd comes in,if it ever will. your call at the end of the day.

Not worth a [zb]

simon

there is no real yes or no answer here as none of us know the full facts but if the company you are joining has a large proportion of employees that are union members and especially if the company recognise the union then it is advisable to join but if you are joining the union as a safety net just in case something happens then i would say no.
although the unions offer plenty of advice and claim to offer a solicitor this is not quite true, they offer legal advice which is a little different (you can get legal advice from citizens advice buruea in your local town).
if you enter into a dispute with your employer then the union will look out for your interests especially if the rest of the workers or majority of the rest of the workers are members too but if you fall foul of the law whilst out driving and require the unions assistance then advice is often all that they will offer.
again with the employer arguments you may actually find that the union will only support you if they think they can win (nobody wants to back a loser), you should also remember that the first step towards any complaint to the union is through the company union rep, if he has his sweet ■■■ in the bosses pocket for the latest truck etc then he isn’t worth a dollar.
the best advice is to establish within the drivers of the company you are employed what the situ is reference union membership then make up your own mind.
i have been a member of both urtu and tgwu and although i would join either again it would only be if the rest of the workforce were also members too and if the workforce was a large one ie over 100 drivers etc.

you are really only lining the pockets of the leaders they are supposed to be a socilist cause but it is a capitilist society and money corrupts almost everyone when the â– â– â– â–  hits the fan you will be left without but your union leaders wont

Unions - I’ve had the trots and produced more effective things!!

penfold with the company you work for , join a union they ARE going to shaft you , whatever you think now , they are based in lux and think they are above the law , and have a tm who doesnt know his â– â– â–  from his donkey ,