Tyres

Having just spent the last few hours on Michelins skating through Northants with my recently acquired Scania sliping and sliding like you wouldn’t believe; I could do with some help.

What tyres would anyone recommend that actually work in the wet?

I’ve had good experiences with Good Year LHD(?) Marathon tyres.

Not good experience with Michelin!

I’d be interested to hear opinions on good wet-weather tyres. I’m in the market for some new ones, before someone gets hurt.

Thank you!

Get your michelin rep out pronto sometimes they have problems but wont admit it until you have it out with them

Check pressures first, if they are over inflated they will slip, any tyre will, Michelin make premium truck tyres and have good life and durability but they shouldnt be slipping any worse than other manufacturers.

Is the Scania one of these new fangled large hoss models cos a lead foot will make em slip :stuck_out_tongue:

Valentino Rossi has problems with Michelin but generally the tyres are the best you can buy

I’ve got a set of Hankooks on the back, and it’s the 2nd set I’ve had on, they are sensible money and seem pretty good. I’ve got the knobbly patterned ones, the other pattern( like steer but with a cross grove every so often) are quite good too. We go for the knobbly ones as the give better grip on site work.

Our 06reg is on Michelin’s and we wouldn’t have another set, it’s the 2nd set in 18 months of owning it. I’m getting about 18mnths out of the Hankooks with a recut, but our job can be very hard on tyres, if the stuff in the tank doesn’t flow properly when loading you can have little weight on the drive, so the can spin at nothing on the sites.

Our 02 reg has Continentals, and they are absolutly rubbish the current set are nearly worn out at 12 months, but luckily its going next month.

The 8 Wheeler has Bridgestones on and they are half worn, whch is very good considering its the same age as the 06 and has covered more miles.

We’re lucky as we get a big say in what goes on where, for me its Bridgestone for steer, Hankook for drive, and either Bridgestone, Firestone, or Hankook for the rest ( depending upon price)

Until recently I’ve always used Michelins, but the price premium at the moment does’nt make sense, the 17.5 trailer tyres I use Mich want £230 ish, I can get Hankooks for £130 fitted.
Always used Mich drive tyres but where the fifth wheel is located also makes a lot of difference for traction.
Did had some quality issues with a set of Mich steer tyres, they seemed to wear hollows in the tread and always wore badly on one particular side of each tyre. The Mich tyre man blamed the tracking, which was checked and found to be well within the tolerences, so moved them to the mid lift and tried another set of Mich’s which are wearing perfectly equally with uniform wear as they should :unamused: . A duff batch of rubber me thinks.
I’ve now got a mixture Hankook, Pirellis, Bridgestones, they’re all a lot cheaper than Michelins by a large margin, on 20 tyres thats a lot of dough :smiley:

I’ve never tried Michelin’s as they are too expensive for me :blush: :blush:

I find Bridgestones are the best I’ve tried. 6-wheeler tippers are hard on their fronts and I’ve found the R297 Bridgestones (295/80’s) can last three times longer than cheapo tyres. :open_mouth:

I’ve never had any problems with grip (wet or dry) with Bridgestone’s either. :sunglasses:

I use Michelin E2 patterns for wear, but I must admit, their hardness makes them a bit slippy in the wet, I try to compensate for that by loading slightly more weight onto the unit, lifting the middle axle when setting off on a particularly slippy junctions etc. I like the Bridgestones as well, slightly more grip, slightly less tyre life. Goodyear, Dunlop etc, I try to avoid as I (personally) find them a bit soft.