Tyre down plating?

I want to change my front tyres from 315/80.22.5 to 295/80.22,5 so I can swap around if I need to, Its plated for 315/80.22.5,I have an mot next month & want to present it on 295/80.22.5 Do I need to tell them before I go? OR get the plate changed before?

it’s a notifiable alteration, maybe ask at the test station if they will do it at test time or before

businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac … =RESOURCES

in my experience no, vosa said the plate only needs changing if the tyre change affects the rating of the axle ie was 9 ton but now only 8 ton because of the tyre change, going from 315 to 295 wont give you that problem

If you present it for test fitted with tyres that differ from the size on the VTG6 (‘ministry’ plate) in the cab, they will fail it. Our local station (no.29 - Watnall, Notts) like to see the tyre size & rating details on the tyre sidewall highlighted with tyrechalk to make checking easier.

Ask for advice about carrying out your ‘notifiable alteration’ at the same time if possible.

They could well downrate the front axle capacity too. Our Volvo FH’s are fitted with a mixture of sizes, but typically 295/80’s will get you 7100kg capacity, and 315/80’s will make 7500kg.

Hope this helps.

GCR2ERF:
If you present it for test fitted with tyres that differ from the size on the VTG6 (‘ministry’ plate) in the cab, they will fail it. Our local station (no.29 - Watnall, Notts) like to see the tyre size & rating details on the tyre sidewall highlighted with tyrechalk to make checking easier.

Ask for advice about carrying out your ‘notifiable alteration’ at the same time if possible.

They could well downrate the front axle capacity too. Our Volvo FH’s are fitted with a mixture of sizes, but typically 295/80’s will get you 7100kg capacity, and 315/80’s will make 7500kg.

Hope this helps.

Well i must be special then as my plate has 315/80/22.5 on it but the truck has had 295/80/22.5 for the last 2 tests, both times i pointed out that i asked the question and was told it wasnt necessary to change the plate as the axle rating had not been affected and the truck sailed through, as i said in my first reply
“in my experience it wont make a difference” but in yours it obviously did

chaversdad:

GCR2ERF:

Hope this helps.

Well i must be special then as my plate has 315/80/22.5 on it but the truck has had 295/80/22.5 for the last 2 tests, both times i pointed out that i asked the question and was told it wasnt necessary to change the plate as the axle rating had not been affected and the truck sailed through, as i said in my first reply
“in my experience it wont make a difference” but in yours it obviously did

If not special, you’re certainly jammy mate! Don’t think we would get away with that, then again I don’t tend to get away with much… I’m that unlucky, if I fell in a bath of ■■■■, I’d come out sucking my thumb :laughing:

Our local stations had a purge 3-4 years ago on sideguard dimensions, insisting we retro-fit new guards to 15 and 12 year old Hiab-equipped lorries (with side-mounted tackle boxes etc) which had been through their lanes no problem in previous years :cry: Still musn’t grumble!!

You should be able to present the truck for test with your 295s fitted but inform them when you get to test you require a new VTG plate doing with new sizes on it. I changed my fronts from 315 to 385 and got the plate altered while i was in for test, think it costs around £20.00. I have seen trucks fail the test because operators have fitted different size tyres and omitted to inform vosa .