Up-Rating front axle, Supper singles up front

Hi. We have a scania 6 wheel bevertail with a 7.5 ton front axle. 295 Tyre’s. looking at options to up-rate the front axle weight.
i have spoken with other operators and drivers and they have said to change the front steer Tyre’s to supper single steer Tyre’s.
does DVSA accept just changing the Tyre’s to allow the axle weight to be up-rated or is there other stuff required as well. i assume the plate would need upgraded to show the new axle weight.

What weight does the plating certificate show is the design weight higher than 7.5 tonns if not dont think it can be uprated I had a renault that had an 8 tonne front axle fitted with 315/80 tyers Ask Scania they could help

It makes no difference what the plate states for the design weight ,you need to contact a firm such as SV Tech at Leyland speak to Bill Drinkwater he’s the man .
315s will take you to 8 tonne and it’s possible to go to 9 tonnes on super singles .
Be sure to get the correct wheel off set .

Punchy Dan:
It makes no difference what the plate states for the design weight ,you need to contact a firm such as SV Tech at Leyland speak to Bill Drinkwater he’s the man .
315s will take you to 8 tonne and it’s possible to go to 9 tonnes on super singles .

I’ve got 315 Load Rate L on mine, and they are truly horrendous. Conti, Mich, B’stone, all feel like they are under inflated when running heavy. And all wear out in under 60k km.
Legal, but horrible in my experience, I would say go for Super Singles.

Fitting super singles on the front will give you a better ride, and requires a change via DVSA, iirc it’s just a paperwork exercise.
Too uprate front axle will require a visit to ATF, probably find it’s just some bigger bolts and shackles, get in touch with your local Dealer, they will tell you what would need changing,.

Franglais:

Punchy Dan:

I’ve got 315 Load Rate L on mine, and they are truly horrendous. Conti, Mich, B’stone, all feel like they are under inflated when running heavy. And all wear out in under 60k km.
Legal, but horrible in my experience, I would say go for Super Singles.

My front axle runs at 8 tonnes all the time and the 315 bridge stones are great the shoulder is like a razor edge nice and square .
I did think you can put bigger tyres and no other action need to be taken .
Chances are the op’s 7.5 tonne axle is on 2 leaf springs therefore would need a 3rd leaf even to go to 8 tonne .
An 8 tonne axle will go to 9 in most cases just by changing the wheel & tyre sizes to 385s .

Thanks for your reply guys.
I Had a look at the plate this afternoon. Design weight on the front axle is 8.5 ton.
Spoke with scania dealer couldn’t get a straight answer. Will try one of the bigger dealers tomorrow. Couldn’t get a straight answer of dvsa either.

Was also told that if the tyre size is changed only need a form sent to dvsa as said above. And inspected at a ATF. But they couldn’t confirm.

Try WEST PENNINE TRUCKS KNIGHTON branch sorry dont know number but very helpfull

If you want to go large, Wooliscroft Garage has for sale a 9ton Scania front axle, complete with 4 leaf springs, hubs etc.
@ £1500. Might save you a lot of grief.