TV reception

My latest “fad” is my “new” colour tele that I bought off my mate for 35 sovs. Got meself a Magic Circle amplified aerial from Lymm for 15 sovs :open_mouth: and it’s hardly been off the dash since I got it wired up :laughing: :exclamation:

However, what I thought was a problem with the tele or maybe the aerial, seems to have turned out to have been a simple case of bad reception areas :confused:

Fired it up at Morries at Gadbrook last week and could only vaguely get Countdown on C4; nothing else. Tried again near Beverley and couldn’t get zip. Tried it on the top of Birdlip hill and managed to get Newsnight (always seem to get that and it’s so dull and unwatchable), Beeb 1 and C4 but not 3 or 5.

Parked up in lay-by in the middle of nowhere on A43 near A5 roundabout and got brilliant reception on all channels except C5 which couldn’t be found anywhere. :confused:

I’m wondering if investing in one of those caravan style tele aerials might be worth it, and rigging it up on the roof :question: Can’t do with moving the aerial about every 2 seconds :laughing:

Are there any very bad/very good reception hot-spots (other than parking next to Emley Moor, doh :laughing: ) that folks know of :question:

I’ve got a 10" (oo-er missus :smiley: ) Roadstar telly and I get an excellent reception everywhere. It’s better without an extension aeriel then with.

I have the Roadstar 10" TV too, but with it’s own loop aerial there are many places that it just dont work. The “Magic Circle” aerial works almost everywhere but does need some ingenuity to find a place in the cab where I can get the best reception.
As a last resort I have one of the cheap aerials from B&Q on a 3’ pole that fixes to the mirror mount, that works everywhere… :slight_smile:

Magic Circles are excellent, I have one myself.

However, whatever aerial you use, the most essential point to note is that you MUST get it outside the cab. TV aerials work as well when placed inside a metal box as you would expect them to.

I use a four foot extension lead which allows me to place the aerial on the roof. From the moment I did this, I have never been unable to get a signal anywhere.

Vince

I have a Grundig 10" multi-system which I use with an Omnimax anntenna.

The Omnimax will pick a signal up from any direction (hence the name) and it also comes with a 12/24v booster. Mine is on a mag-mount on top of the cab,but under the spoiler,on my FH Globetrotter so it doesn’t get damaged in the truck wash.

I have had the Omnimax for around 10 years now and it’s still going strong,and there aren’t many places where I can’t get a perfect picture.

They aren’t cheap,but they are good.You get what you pay for after all!

i have one of those flat screen thingys and a booster arial and must admit i have always got a signal wherever i have been. Not always the best but have always got all channels.

The gaffer gave me a telly to use Rob, like a 6" screen or so, that had a round arial with some gizmo attached I tried it once down Felix, couldnt get a thing, so gave it him back! Ive never had one before, so I dont miss it really.

Mal

Try to get a picture at Lowestoft ! Iimpossible. It makes you wonder how the people who live there manage.

P.S. Whats more frustrating than getting a reasonable picture and starting to watch something and then someone else parks 50 yards away from you but the picture goes fuzzy. Doh !

However, what I thought was a problem with the tele or maybe the aerial, seems to have turned out to have been a simple case of bad reception areas :confused:

is your reefer on :question:
that can affect your signal
i have had problems when fridges pull up a longside :exclamation:
not content with ruining your sleep they spoil your entertainment too :frowning: :frowning:

lets start an anti reefer site :laughing: :laughing:
only joking rob :wink:

If the guy parked next to you is on his CB that interfere’s too.
Like the idea of the pole on your mirror mount. That’s good thinking Martin.

not all the caravan ariels are any good unless you spend mega bucks on it.
i have just bought a 2004 van with an ariel fitted but i still have to put the old house type ariel up at certain sites.

hopes this tip helps

cannonball

jon boy 100:
is your reefer on :question:
that can affect your signal
i have had problems when fridges pull up a longside :exclamation:
not content with ruining your sleep they spoil your entertainment too :frowning: :frowning:

lets start an anti reefer site :laughing: :laughing:
only joking rob :wink:

The fridge wasn’t on but tried it with it on and it makes no difference, neither does having the engine running.

I don’t park anywhere I have to pay and prefer a deep lay-by separated from the road. If I do need to have it running overnight then I’ll always try to park as far away from other overnighters as possible. I actually struggle to sleep with the fridge OFF and love to get a good peaceful nights sleep with it running at full tilt on frozen :exclamation: I’m serious too, as daft as it sounds :exclamation: :laughing:

milky bar kid:
Try to get a picture at Lowestoft ! Iimpossible. It makes you wonder how the people who live there manage.

(I know this is an old post, but I must have missed this reply!)

Anyway, if your in the lorry park at Lowestoft always park nose in to the fence overlooking the builders yard, that way you will get a picture. :smiley:

Rob K:
Parked up in lay-by in the middle of nowhere on A43 near A5 roundabout and got brilliant reception on all channels except C5 which couldn’t be found anywhere. :confused:

Thats because you were in Towcester :laughing: Everything is good in Towcester :laughing:

The last TV I bought for my truck in the UK I got at Argos for 300 quid :exclamation:
The one I use here cost $30 and is almost identical. TV’s here are very cheap and you can get a TV/DVD combination for around $150 :sunglasses:

Dont rub it in Pat, costs me a fortune in excess baggage everytime I visit the US!!! 501’s and sneakers fill a case lol…

You will get a much better signal pick up with this style of aerial £4.99 in argos

and as was said above, if you have it in the cab dont expect to get much, as signals tend to bounce of a metal box[/img]