Off Tramping

I just bought an 12v Portable LCD Freeview TV it has an External DVB-T Antenna but i’m still worried about reception and just wondered what you people used in way of aerial, are ‘magic wands’ any good??

Also getting a fridge, are 12v halfords fridge/coolbox any good??

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29890

try reading the above thread

Mikejk:
I just bought an 12v Portable LCD Freeview TV it has an External DVB-T Antenna but i’m still worried about reception and just wondered what you people used in way of aerial, are ‘magic wands’ any good??

Also getting a fridge, are 12v halfords fridge/coolbox any good??

i had a 12v cooler fridge type thing, thought it was pretty naff. i know the proper fridges ain’t cheap, but think you get what you pay for.

are you gonna be taking a lap top with you■■? if you are, and are gonnna be online, the bbc i player is a good site. has a weeks worth of all bbc channels, that you can just click and watch.

mine come from halfords 40lt fridge/warmer… never had a problem with it…

get a laptop and internet connection…will make the long nights a bit easier

I had a Halfords 40 Litre cooler/warmer about 3/4 years ago,its was OK but fluctuates in temperature according to the ambient temperature of where you happen to be.
In the Summer its as effective as a chocolate fireguard.

I have WinTV for my Laptop which comes with a small magnetic aerial,I’ve just stuck that on the roof of the truck.some places you get nothing,but most of the time you get quite a few channels.
I tried the magic wand when I had my roadstar telly,but was’nt too impressed with it TBH.
Im yet to find a decent aerial cause I dont want to fork out £70-80 for one of them squiggly caravan ones,I’ve put it off for a while now,but I think im gonna have to invest in one in the end :cry:

i use a magic wand but pulled out the plastic aerial and fitted one of those magic circle in it works a treat :wink: buy one of those rechargeable battery things from argos that have a 12v adaptor and bobs your uncle and fannys your aunt :smiley:

If I was really into my TV, (but i’m not) what I would do is to but a Satellite aerial and a sky box, set it up and you will get all the channells you want you do not even have to put a card in. All this can be bought really cheap from e-bay (£20-40)
It is very easy to get the sat signal aswell. If you want more info on this just google for a caravan forum and you will get loads of info on this.
I’m surprised there is not more drivers with the sat system, it does really only take 5 mins to set this up…

Traz:

How are you charging your laptop? I’m new to this trucking business (just passed Cat C last week), and I’d love to be doing long distance over night stuff. Looked on Amazon for 12v laptop chargers but couldn’t find anything.

burntoutbanger:

Traz:

How are you charging your laptop? I’m new to this trucking business (just passed Cat C last week), and I’d love to be doing long distance over night stuff. Looked on Amazon for 12v laptop chargers but couldn’t find anything.

Congrats on passing your class c

try these on egay.

they are the basics and you can get better but you get what you pay for.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-ADAPTER-LAPTOP-NOTEBOOK-DC-POWER-CAR-CHARGER_W0QQitemZ350039679876QQihZ022QQcategoryZ60252QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i paid about £15 for mine and never had a problem, even comes in with a built in 10amp fuse. dont know the make though, i got mine in spain.

this ones a bit better

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Notebook-Laptop-PC-Car-Power-Adapter-Charger_W0QQitemZ230234015874QQihZ013QQcategoryZ60252QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks. And those chargers are just the kind of thing I was looking for. Don’t know why but it skipped my mind to check the 'bay.

:blush:

Thanks for reply’s, was looking at some of those Halfords coolboxes today so might get one of those.
Not sure about satellite tv, don’t think my new boss would go for me installing a dish on the roof of his FL12 :unamused:

http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=bd1927f137034b93783dd08f853e776e&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=satellite+tv

Just got another tip from one of those caravaners, (didn’t say thanks as i hate the ba&*%$£rds) and they suggested putting a frozen bottle of water in the cooler, this helps to cool things down for a day or two.

Just had a look at the carravaners forum, some useful info there on Sky TV!

Has anyone tried using a slingbox? Are they any good?

mirrorman:
Has anyone tried using a slingbox? Are they any good?

Used to wear one of those whilst playing cricket, seemed ok to me, don’t see what that’s got to do with dvd tv though :confused:

Mikejk:
I just bought an 12v Portable LCD Freeview TV it has an External DVB-T Antenna but i’m still worried about reception

Now i’m even more worried about reception, as i havn’t got any :arrow_right: all i get is ‘no signal’, ‘no signal’, ‘no signal’ everywhere i go, went into Maplins and all he could suggest was 42 bit aerial but i can’t really have one of those stuck on top of truck.

burntoutbanger:

Traz:

I would get a dedicated 24v power supply as opposed to a cheap charger. I bought a cheap charger off ebay and it would charge the battery, but if you fired the laptop up it would blow fuses.
With a dedicated supply (about 40 quid) you can charge it as you use it.