Freeview TV? Any good?

After waking up on my birthday a week or two ago and finding my car had been broken into and my Roadstar TV/DVD combo had been nicked, i m thinking of treating myself to a 15" flat screen with built in freeview, anyone using one up the road? tell me what theyre like? Ive got a PS2 in truck so havent got a need for a DVD player as that is taken care of by PS2. Ive got a freeview at home so know what channels are available etc, just thought it would save space etc if the freeview was built into telly.

i have one and if you get a good aeriel to go with it helps big time some places in the uk you cant pick up any stations which does get annoying but they few and far between on a weak signal you can pick up about 10 stations i.e bbc 1,2. itv ch4 etc but when the signal is spot on its like 40 channels and the picture is like watching sky tv at home
They are a bit pricey tho
Hope this helps

stu

just got one for christmas took it down the road the first day set it up, got 32 channels at magor services, however the screen has gone belly up so sending it back to replace it. got it off ebay £150.00p for tv/dvd freeview.

I got a roadstar portable 9.2 digital tv for xmas & i have to say its excellent. The only problem i have is not being able to get any signal wotsoever at some of the places i go especially at the warehouse im based at in uxbridge. I was wondering does anyone recommend a good aerial as i dont want to waste my money?

tyler4164:
I got a roadstar portable 9.2 digital tv for xmas & i have to say its excellent. The only problem i have is not being able to get any signal wotsoever at some of the places i go especially at the warehouse im based at in uxbridge. I was wondering does anyone recommend a good aerial as i dont want to waste my money?

As said elsewhere, any aerial is ok, you just need to get it away from the truck, Buy an aerial extension lead and you should be fine.

Cheers for that stu and pete, are the ones you both got 12/24 volt??Tyler, has yours got a built in freeview? Itd be a waste of time if for spacewise i got a built in freeview box and then had to mess around with an inverter etc cos it was just a household model, ideally i would like a 24 volt one that also works in Europe, either freeview or just the normal channels for whatever country im in at the time. Or if there isnt, a 24 volt, a 12 volt one, im sure there must be one of those purely for the weekend gypsies, ummm sorry, caravanners! Ideally 24 volt is my preference. Cheers for any replies.
edit. Just as an afterthought, would freeview work in europe or would it just be the channels for the country i was in? i would want one that works all over europe, if not freeview, just the countrys normal channels. hope this makes sense as i just got in from pub!:oops: :confused: :blush:

I used freeview with my Laptop but got so hacked off with poor signals, I bought one of these.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48737&criteria=sattelitte&doy=30m12

A portable satellite system.

Granted, you need to get a TV to watch it on, but you can use it ANYWHERE in the UK and in Europe. And perfect reception everytime.

A bit fiddly to set the dish up the first few times, and the TV needs a scart input. (Perhaps the PS2 has inputs?)

had quick look on ebay

e-bay, the complete satellite kit

(edited link to shorten it. Simon)

Ihave one went to maplins and bought a £20 power arial works a treat mate looks a bit like a leaf works of 240 or 12 v hope thats helpfull

LCD-Portable-DVD-DIVX-Player-freeview-digital-TV
it came with a 12V adaptor for the car
got this from ebay for when iam out in the truck

(Edited to shorten link.Simon)

Yes mine has built in freeview & its 12/24 volt

mine too has built in freeview and its a 12 volt have used the ariel that was supplied and its worked ok, also have one of those leaf type ones i bought from tesco for my little girls tv, but it fellinto my bag one day :smiley: they are a godd bit of kit havent had much trouble with getting a pic before it went bum up on me :angry:

I bought this of ebay otherday…

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250063647758
Nice bit of kit great picture but not tried it down the rd yet.

A snip for £79 i couldnt complain was sick and tired of moving the roadstar all the time in and out off wagon if you know what i mean.

I will get a areial with a booster on it, prob the best to watch freeview channels.

regards

steve

Didnt realise there was so much choice out there! Like i said in original post, im looking for something over 10"screen, probably end up with a 15" i reckon.
Not too sure about the Sattelite, as its another thing to assemble and dismantle and somewhere else you got to find to put the box, (i may be ending up with a King of the Road Topline so need as much space as poss)thats why i thought of a telly with a built in digi-box, takes up less space and no messing around to set up, just plug it in and turn it on.

if anyones got the details of a 15" flatscreen that they`ve got and tested (preferably with freeview, & scart etc) that runs off 12/24volts can they post the deatails please (make/model and any links).
no doubt theres plenty of folks who would br interested in a personnel recomendation

can anyone out there recomend a ariel that will recieve freeview in truck has i have got a freeview box from argo’s for £25 that works off 12v.
what are the ariels like that they fit on caravans i know their a bit expensive but if it works well i dont mind paying.

Im coming at this from a different angle. I have a laptop and a DVBT stick and can occasionally get a decent picture. I thiink the last time was watching Holland in the World Cup.

Would it help to try to find a different ariel

I had a freeview box,but it was a bit hit & miss with the signal in the UK,even with my Maxview aerial.
So,I bought a 12/24v digital satellite system in Germany,which works a treat,although,as has been said,it does take some practice setting up the dish for a signal.

I hope soon to make a pemanent set up on the back of the cab with a mast to fix the dish to,and then all I need is a sat-finder,or a motor to move the dish.

Hundreds of channels too.

Gone down the compact road and ordered meself one of these 10.4", freeview and analogue,works all over europe including France, cost £249. As im out all week, i wont be able to try it till next week.

in21now.co.uk/e_site/acatalo … _2_sml.jpg

I got one of these allcam.biz/catalog/product_i … cts_id=128
which does me fine. I got to watch the world cup , but the freeview ■■■■■ at most truckstops I found. I burned a load of divx movies to dvd and took them out as well. 1 four way dvd case can hold roughly 16 films or 4 different series of whatever program you like.
The freeview should get better when the changeover happens, as they are only broadcasting at about 25% power at the moment (normal analog is using the rest).
You really need a separate aerial though.