Freeview TV? Any good?

I got one from Maplins just before xmas, its a 10.4 inch flatscreen nikkai one, it runs of 12v and has a mag mount that you can stick to the roof. it was reduced from £250 to £150 and is superb.

I parked up at Hartshead Moor last nite and got over 40 channels to watch!!

I saw a smaller 8 inch version in Alconbury the other day at double the price :open_mouth:

Hope this helps

just got my replacment tv back which isnt bad as i only sent it off 6 days ago have tried it in the house, and in the car, got 27 tv channels and 22 radio channels and dvd works ok, just waiting till i go in work on thursday to really test it out though!

im sorry is it just me or is sky and free view full of ■■■■. :confused:

Heh, sky is, but at least freeview is “free” and you still get all the BBC, all the ITV, channel 4, more4, Film4 and UKtvHistory. Thats all I really watch anyway.
I never saw the point of sky, as the discovery channel is mostly old bbc horizon programs anyway, and the rest is old bbc. Anything else is just US crap.

i quite like some of the old docu programmes but the rest is rubbish… its always only fools or one foot in the grave or keeping up apperances. :imp:

You must be loaded man !
You gotta pay for that stuff :astonished:

kindle530:
Gone down the compact road and ordered meself one of these 10.4", freeview and analogue,works all over europe including France, cost £249. As im out all week, i wont be able to try it till next week.

in21now.co.uk/e_site/acatalo … _2_sml.jpg

How’s the TV performing? Am looking for something similar and don’t want to buy rubbish :smiley: :smiley:

Are you getting Freeview ok or did you have to get another aerial?

On another subject looked into Asten truckstop for the centre mat, unfortunatley no 4 series left only R series :imp: :imp: not cheap either and postitive it wasn’t real leather. Will keep looking though :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i use an 8 inch tv similar to the maplins one hooked up to a status aeriel on the roof

got the roadster 9.5" joby and before last night i would’ve said it was the dogs danglies, combined with a big ariel mounted on the back of the cab BUT last night was football night and as i went through the usual procedure of programe search etc it rapidly became apparent that the one channel i wasn’t going to get, no matter how many times i adjusted the ariel was itv1, could’ve quite happily chucked it across the lorry park! gutted!
obviously they work better at some places than others, seems north is always good, southwaite, stirling, dumbarton, happenden, inverness etc you get as many channels as you’d want don’t know if the scots are more digi setup but never have a bother up that end.

paul b:
obviously they work better at some places than others, seems north is always good, southwaite, stirling, dumbarton, happenden, inverness etc you get as many channels as you’d want don’t know if the scots are more digi setup but never have a bother up that end.

It would make sense for southern Scotland to have good coverage, since the Border region will be the first for analogue switchoff.

Wheel Nut:
Im coming at this from a different angle. I have a laptop and a DVBT stick and can occasionally get a decent picture. I thiink the last time was watching Holland in the World Cup.

Would it help to try to find a different ariel

I was ‘messing’ with one of these recently. In the end, the best results were achieved by using the big ‘house TV’ external ariel for the set-up and then use the portable (and very crap) ariel when out and about.

Kindle,

sorry don’t know if you are in the same unit all the time or not, if you are this airel is about the best on the market needs to be fixed to the roof of the unit.

maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod … 5#overview

If you go to Europe and want TV then look at the portable 60cm travel dish about £80 on Ebay or £100 from Maplins, buy a DVB reciever with ENglish speaking channels in and recieve UK TV down as far as the south coast of Spain.

If you go the Satelite route and at the moment it is the only way to guarantee a decent signal spend a few extra quid on a Satelite Signal finder. It saves you looking like a numpty moving the dish around. By the way it just clamps onto your Mirror arm. You can get extendable poles so it reaches over the trailer if satelite is behind you but to be honest just turn your truck around its cheaper. :open_mouth:

If you go for the satellite option it’s worth trying the “satellite suitcase” from Maplin
I got one on offer for 60 quid and it’s pretty good. You don’t get channel 4 stuff though, as they are only on sky at the moment.
All the bits in a plastic case, with various mountings for the dish, such as a clamp and suckers, and a freesat tuner with remote.
There is a better picture of the case on the right hand side here (most popular matches #1 )
The English speaking channels are on Astra 2D

paul b:
got the roadster 9.5" joby and before last night i would’ve said it was the dogs danglies, combined with a big ariel mounted on the back of the cab BUT last night was football night and as i went through the usual procedure of programe search etc it rapidly became apparent that the one channel i wasn’t going to get, no matter how many times i adjusted the ariel was itv1, could’ve quite happily chucked it across the lorry park! gutted!

Im wondering if theres a reason for not getting itv on freeview. I used to be able to pick up itv fine on my laptop with a dvb-t stick… now its gone. Anyone have any idea why?

JB:
Im wondering if theres a reason for not getting itv on freeview. I used to be able to pick up itv fine on my laptop with a dvb-t stick… now its gone. Anyone have any idea why?

Depends where you are, and as they are still “installing” the system, occasionally they’ll reduce power on a signal. They are only running at about 20% of full power anyway, because the analogue still has to be powered. I lose whole multiplexes sometimes, and thats at home with a fixed aerial !
I would have thought it would make more sense to gradually reduce the analogue power and increase the digital, to get people to switch and not be ■■■■■■ off when the signals crap !
I found I would get a good all round freeview signal at Gordano services (but the services stank) while at Cherwell Valley, I struggled to get BBC1 on analogue. Luckily I got a good enough signal there to see England win a world cup match last year. Rugby truck stop is a bit hit and miss too (but they have a bar so it doesn’t matter too much there :wink: )
The aerial definitely makes a big difference though. Magic circles seem to be the best if you can’t use an exterior one.

pedroski:
I used freeview with my Laptop but got so hacked off with poor signals, I bought one of these.

A portable satellite system.

Just bought a graded (£50) satellite in a suitcase from Maplins for use on a canal boat, just tested it in the garden - easy to set up and works fine. The satellite finder is just a compass - the arrow shows which way to point for Astra and the receiver box could be set to whistle depending on the signal strength so no need for a seperate meter.

tinyurl.com/3bhkst

Lidl are selling similar for £60 brand new

tinyurl.com/yooahg

Works on 12v and comes complete with a suction and clamp mounts.

I was trying to watch motorcycle racing on my laptop a couple of weeks ago. I managed to get 35 out of 37 available channels.

The racing was on the unavailable channels :cry:

Has any know a dvb stick to fit the new type express card type for a sony vaio??

i use to a a PCMCIA card on my old one witch i used to run the satellite and PS2 through. But i cant seem to get one for the express card… :smiling_imp:

i have usb freeveiw on laptop crap in uk :frowning:
but Steenvorde services cracking picture and 2 progs in English :laughing:

i am using a borrowed omnimax ariel at present