Truck technical drawings

Hi guys,

any of you know where i can get technical drawings of the engineering etc of a long distance truck?

Cheers

you proberbly cant :open_mouth:

design departments at scania ,volvo,daf…headoffices. shouldn’t think a dealership would have them :unamused:

best of luck

jon

PM sent

see if you can bum a few old chassis microfiches from a truck dealers parts man or a cd which explode the views for part picking

only curious, but why would you want them :question: :question:

Some companies give line drawings of their machines in their brochures with some measurements. What sort of information are you after, just technical specifications, or sizes of chassis, axles, bits and cab?

[sorry for lack of technical jargon for ‘bits’ :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:]

weewulliewinkie:

This might answer that - his first post…

Hi all,

As u might have gathered I am new to the forum, so firstly hello!

Im potentially not your usual member as I am a automotive design student at Coventry University ! Please dont run away…im sure alot of you are thinking…“oh no here we go again”

Anyway ill stop waffling, basically, I am designing a long haul truck for 2025 and am interested in finding out truckers(i hope thats not offensive) opinions on the latest tractors with things like, your favourite one, the one you’d rather spit on than drive, their pros, their cons regarding the ergonomics and pure drivablilty amongst other things.

Please feel free to have a rant on anything regarding the trucks you have driven or alternative praise those that deserve it!

Many thanks in advance,

Jon.

Concept36:
Hi guys,

any of you know where i can get technical drawings of the engineering etc of a long distance truck?

Cheers

Are you thinking of buying a truck in a ‘flat pack’ to save a few bob? I once bought a computer desk like that - too much hassle :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

THIS any good ?

weewulliewinkie:

IIRC he’s started a few topics off to do with truck design. Something to do with a university degree or similar.

ROG:

weewulliewinkie:

This might answer that - his first post…

Hi all,

As u might have gathered I am new to the forum, so firstly hello!

Im potentially not your usual member as I am a automotive design student at Coventry University ! Please dont run away…im sure alot of you are thinking…“oh no here we go again”

Anyway ill stop waffling, basically, I am designing a long haul truck for 2025 and am interested in finding out truckers(i hope thats not offensive) opinions on the latest tractors with things like, your favourite one, the one you’d rather spit on than drive, their pros, their cons regarding the ergonomics and pure drivablilty amongst other things.

Please feel free to have a rant on anything regarding the trucks you have driven or alternative praise those that deserve it!

Many thanks in advance,

Jon.

cheers for that one :smiley:

drawing up the package drawing, always helps to have something to use as a demo !

Do any of you guys know how much an truck and empty trailer weigh?

Do any of you guys know how much an truck and empty trailer weigh

You have to be more specific as not all units and trailers weigh the same - the drivers on here might be able to give you a ball park figure though

ROG:

Do any of you guys know how much an truck and empty trailer weigh

You have to be more specific as not all units and trailers weigh the same - the drivers on here might be able to give you a ball park figure though

ok, a 6x4 long distance tractor, with a 40ftx14ft trailer. Hope that narrows it down. If nothing else just the trailer.

Cheers.

The trucks we take on convoy weigh in at about 16 tonnes on the Hungarian border on the way back (i.e. empty except for the drivers, drivers’ personal kit and fuel). They’re 6x2 units with steering mid axle pulling triaxle step-frame curtainside trailers (all 3 axles are twin-wheeled).

MrFlibble:
The trucks we take on convoy weigh in at about 16 tonnes on the Hungarian border on the way back (i.e. empty except for the drivers, drivers’ personal kit and fuel). They’re 6x2 units with steering mid axle pulling triaxle step-frame curtainside trailers (all 3 axles are twin-wheeled).

Cheers for that. Would i be right in assuming the truck weighs between 10-12 tonnes of that? or am i way off!?

I weighed mine recently, 15.25 tonnes empty. A 6x2 Merc MegaSpace hooked up to a tri-axle 13.7m Euro-liner trailer. Trailer has super singles mounted on air suspension.

A unit with sleeper cab is roughly[ 7.5 tonnes, so is a curtainsider trailer, as a very rough guide.
Steel suspended trailers are slightly lighter, which surprised me.

you can design the best truck from a trucker point of view, but if its expensive the big firms wont buy it, they want cheap things. [hence why mercs sell like hotcakes]

the best idea i could give you is to design a truck which is as light weight as possible, and has the largest payload possible.

if a tractor unit weighs 7.5t, if you could shave that weight down a tonne or two but keep the strength and pulling capabilities it would appeal to companies, as more can be moved at once, and when empty it is using less fuel.

Trucks are just like the rest of the population and are becoming morbidely obese.

The gross weight limit is now 44000kg in the UK. A good payload will be between 28 & 30 ton.

When the weights were less at 32500kg we could still carry 21000 kg until the weights went up to 38000 when the payload increased to 23000kg

So more is less due to extra regulations, spray suppression, safety rails, curtainsider trailers, extra axles and road friendly suspension.

As well as wingeing drivers who want a super dooper 4 metre cabin to do day runs in. I admit I am one of them same drivers.

Those deceased hauliers from the 60,s must be laughing from above. Well at least sat on top of a stack of Lancashire flats