Truck restorers

after you ve restored your trucks what road tax do you have to pay and do you down plate if say they used to be 40/44ton cheers martyn.

sammy dog:
after you ve restored your trucks what road tax do you have to pay and do you down plate if say they used to be 40/44ton cheers martyn.

Send Nev aka oxo3 a pm Martyn,he will give you the info.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

sammy dog:

Send Nev aka oxo3 a pm Martyn,he will give you the info.
Cheers Dave.

thanks dave cheers martyn

If you are only using it for shows you can tax it as private hgv. If you take all the paper work to the dvla office they will give you a new resistration document. My scania 113 is taxed as prvate hgv. £ 165 for 12 months. you dont have to down plate it

jonmea:
If you are only using it for shows you can tax it as private hgv. If you take all the paper work to the dvla office they will give you a new resistration document. My scania 113 is taxed as prvate hgv. £ 165 for 12 months. you dont have to down plate it

thanks for the reply jonmea rgards martyn

We have a 3 axle erf c series unit, we down plated it to 28 t , on 3 and 3, was only something like 165, and you can then use it legally for light work, or delivering empty trls etci.When we was busy we used it for a time going glos to basildon, the load was only 5 ton, and was legal

Our 1970 ERF Castrol Tanker is tax exempt. Unfortunately that concession is no longer available.

Been thinking about getting an old wagon for a long time now, £165 a year for tax sounds OK, what about Insurance, is there such a thing as Classic Lorry Insurance, similar to the Classic Car movement? Its hard to give an estimate,cos obviously it would depend on age etc but can anyone give a rough idea as to how much it would be to insure a tractor unit for show use etc.

adr:
Been thinking about getting an old wagon for a long time now, £165 a year for tax sounds OK, what about Insurance, is there such a thing as Classic Lorry Insurance, similar to the Classic Car movement? Its hard to give an estimate,cos obviously it would depend on age etc but can anyone give a rough idea as to how much it would be to insure a tractor unit for show use etc.

I’m insured through the NFU Mutual for my old C series ERF, it’s well under £100 and includes any driver over 25, so your pals can have a play! I can’t recommend these highly enough.

GCR2ERF:

adr:

I’m insured through the NFU Mutual for my old C series ERF, it’s well under £100 and includes any driver over 25, so your pals can have a play! I can’t recommend these highly enough.

Do they insure cars im gonna have to remortgage this may when mines up for renewal.Apparently where i live is 1 of the worst areas of england for uninsured drivers .As for the tax we run a large fleet of artics all downplated to 28 tons and the road tax is £165 with tandem or tri axle trailers

I agree about trying NFU mutual, I have a Scania 142 insured on a classic policy with them, it was taxed and plated at 28 ton when we last worked it so have kept taxing it as such as Richmond described.
Neil.

Got my atki insured with NFU, think its about £80!!!

Depends which branch you use though, my local one in hungerford said they couldn’t help but after talking with the atki club tried another branch up north somewhere, forget where though :confused: :unamused:

Jon

ramone:

GCR2ERF:

adr:

Do they insure cars im gonna have to remortgage this may when mines up for renewal.Apparently where i live is 1 of the worst areas of england for uninsured drivers .As for the tax we run a large fleet of artics all downplated to 28 tons and the road tax is £165 with tandem or tri axle trailers

Sure they will do cars, but on a ‘normal’ policy.

Many thanks for that info gents, NFU Mutual, I’ve had my Land Rovers insured with them for the last 15 years so hopefully when I can get hold of a wagon I be able to get a reasonable price out of them. I’ve had a word with the workshop where I have our wagons serviced etc, luckily the Guv’nor & a few of the fitters are into the Classic scene so he said anything I want done they will happily help out with! Thats got my other half worried now, cos we going to the enthusiasts day at Malvern on the 26th March, & they got the Auction there as well, could be an expensive day out!

im off to malvern tomorrow trouble is its the tractor auction/show well you got to start somewhere. :sunglasses:

But if you buy a Tractor, you will then need a Low-loader or beaver-tail etc to carry it around! From little acorns grow etc!

adr:
But if you buy a Tractor, you will then need a Low-loader or beaver-tail etc to carry it around! From little acorns grow etc!

i own 03 scania 470 plus step frame trailer so not a problem im allready in the process of renovating a tractor but there is auction tomorrow and i might find something of intrest. cheers martyn.

Don’t go in the Scanny then, cos the"might find" will certainly turn into “have found”! Good luck. Regards Chris.

instruction from she who must be abayed wallet pocket :cry: :blush: :laughing:

canada_dry:
Got my atki insured with NFU, think its about £80!!!

Depends which branch you use though, my local one in hungerford said they couldn’t help but after talking with the atki club tried another branch up north somewhere, forget where though :confused: :unamused:

Jon

My Atki is with NFU too - the classic lorry policies are done through the HQ in Stratford, I think