Truck hire

Sometime in the near future I may need to hire a class 17 tonne vehicle for training and test purposes(for a week or two) I have the licence to drive such vehicles. I have been given the job to track one down.

Can anyone point me in any direction close to Nottingham where I may be able to get one for the training and test.

Regards Chip.

Sorry class 2 rigid suitable for DSA test :unamused:

chippy:
Sorry class 2 rigid suitable for DSA test :unamused:

LGV C (Rigid) Old HGV Class 2:
The vehicles used will also have to conform to the standards as set by the DSA.
The vehicle must conform to the following:
Boxed/curtain sided vehicles
Length 8 metres (MINIMUM)
Width 2.4 metres
8 forward gears
Tachograph
ABS as standard

The supervising driver trainer must have held a C licence for at least 3 years

The vehicle must have a mirror set up such that the examiner can see down both sides of the vehicle from the passenger seat.

Hi chippy, You might have to ensure that there’s an arrangement with the insurance company to cover your intended use of the truck, because it might not be covered under normal insurance terms and conditions from the hire Co. :wink:

Your own fleet policy might cover this though…

Just a thought. :grimacing:

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Would a hire company let us use one of their trucks for training?

If we have not got a fleet policy then would the insurance be expensive.

Any ideas who I could try?

Thanks chip

ROG:
The vehicle must have a mirror set up such that the examiner can see down both sides of the vehicle from the passenger seat.

Hi Rog. Do you mean an extra mirror on the offside?

Would the small mirror on the nearside be ok for the DE, for the nearside view?

Or have we got to get two mirrors one for off and one near? :open_mouth:

I have seen hire vehicles being used for training, but these have usually been C1 (7.5 tonne). I did enquire from Hampsons in Spalding about hiring a Cat C vehicle and they would not hire one to anyone who didn’t have an operators licence. They said it was in case VOSA impounded it.

Smart Mart:
They said it was in case VOSA impounded it.

I’ve never understood this, the rules that allow VOSA to impound a vehicle over 7.5t apply to actual 7.5 tonners as well.

chippy:

Thanks chip

Hi chippy, Sorry to have to say this, but IMHO it’s time for you to phone some hire firms to ask some questions.
Q1. Does your company allow your vehicles to be used for training purposes?
Q2. Will your insurance cover us for the purpose of driving tuition?
Q3. If the answer to the above is “no,” would it make any difference if we provide our own insurance?

It’s not for me to say, but wouldn’t it be a better idea to book the trainee in with a reputable LGV driving school?
The reason I ask this is that, even if you can overcome the insurance hurdle and the conditions that ROG has set out, is the proposed instructor thouroghly familiar with training people to the standards required by the DSA?

My thoughts are with the proposed candidate here, as his/her training should be as stress-free as possible.
Sorry to be so blunt; but would an instructor, if inexperienced in DSA methods, honestly be of much help to the test candidate?

Indeed mrpg, but VOSA can actually impound any vehicle. However there are a lot of people who hire 7.5 tonners for private use, as historically they have had C1 on their licence, and I guess those vehicles are not subject to the same stringent regs of LGV’s.

dieseldave:

chippy:

Thanks chip

Hi chippy, Sorry to have to say this, but IMHO it’s time for you to phone some hire firms to ask some questions.
Q1. Does your company allow your vehicles to be used for training purposes?
Q2. Will your insurance cover us for the purpose of driving tuition?
Q3. If the answer to the above is “no,” would it make any difference if we provide our own insurance?

It’s not for me to say, but wouldn’t it be a better idea to book the trainee in with a reputable LGV driving school?
The reason I ask this is that, even if you can overcome the insurance hurdle and the conditions that ROG has set out, is the proposed instructor thouroghly familiar with training people to the standards required by the DSA?

My thoughts are with the proposed candidate here, as his/her training should be as stress-free as possible.
Sorry to be so blunt; but would an instructor, if inexperienced in DSA methods, honestly be of much help to the test candidate?

I am dsa registered but not for LGV. However I do teach vans up to 7.5 tonne and hold my class 1. I therefore feel that dealing with a class 2 test should not cause me to much hassle. I also assess drivers for various companies and train them in defensive driving in cars and big vans.

I will start calling around Monday. The company have trucks but for some reason there is no tachographs. They recently had a problem turning up for test in one of the said trucks. I cant at this point name the company only to say they are something to do with power( not the army) perhaps they are exempt from tachograph rules.