Truck Hire

Hi, I’m new here. Quite new to LGV too, have driven a rigid for a couple of years and just got my artic license.
Anyway, I’m wondering where in the UK I can hire (one week) a large rigid such as 26T.
I’ve tried over 25 companies but they either require me to have an operators license or my own insurance.
After some searching I have found one company (they are Bristol based) who can sort me out with an 18T.
The matey on the phone told me they are one of a small handful in the country that do this. I’ve done some more searching
but for the life of me I can’t find anyone else!!
(I need to do France and back but the absolute ideal would be Pick truck up in France and leave it in the UK!)
That’s an even bigger ask I’m sure.

Does anyone know of any truck hire companies that defo let you drive large 18/26 T on THEIR insurance AND take to France.

Cheers in advance.
Mark

P.S. Sorry to the moderator if I’ve posted this in the wrong section

Sorry to say that your probably border line on the legal side of things as your are!

Forget collecting a truck in France and leaving it in the UK - It just won’t happen.

However, if you are getting any payment for this journey you need an operators licence.

Your going to have plenty of checks done on you taking this thing across the border to go there and back and I would strongly suggest against doing so. Your new to this and, well Calais is something else…

All I can suggest is find someone that does international work and use them. Just to take the truck over the border you need a copy of an O licence, insurance papers, proof of authorisation to drive the vehicle etc etc…

thanks stagedriver.

I thought as much with doing it one way. I will look to collect UK & return.
It’s a private journey so I don’t need an O License. I have found one company that
have their trucks privately hired (and frequently) go to France.

What’s the particular problem(s) with Calais? :confused: I’ve done it a dozen times in car/van.
Advise on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks Mark.

stagedriver:
All I can suggest is find someone that does international work and use them. Just to take the truck over the border you need a copy of an O licence, insurance papers, proof of authorisation to drive the vehicle etc etc…

Not strictly correct stagedriver, I have held an international licence for many years and also own a 7.5 ton boxvan I use as a motorbike race transporter. I have used this a number of times to go to & through France and into Spain, I must admit that I do always take an ‘authorisation’ (just in case :open_mouth: ) but have never had any problems. The use to which the vehicle is being put makes all the difference when ‘pulled’ by the local boys over there, if you are carrying anything that looks like cargo you’ll need to be absolutely fluent in the lingo to explain your way out of trouble.

Insurance, of course and naturally the original V5 and of course a suitable driving licence are a must to be carried at all times on mainland Europe.

Ross.

thanks Ross. Will defo check all paper work a few times! and my license is in order and have digi taco driver/cpc card.

So anyone with any companies who do this type of hire?

M.

MSully:
So anyone with any companies who do this type of hire?

M.

Traffic commisioners have pretty much put an end to hire companies renting vehicles to anyone without an ‘O’ licence by taking them (if stopped at a checkpoint & not covered by an O licence) and not returning them to the hire company.

This is why (just about) all hire companies require the hirer to have an operators licence to cover the hired truck!!

Unfortunately, the cost of loosing a truck when compared to how much they’d make for a couple of weeks hire makes the thought of renting a truck to someone without the cover of an ‘O’ licence a ‘no brainer’!! You might protest that your not undertaking hire & reward work but the downside to the hire company is simply far too great to make this kind of transaction worth the bother.

Good luck anyways, Ross.