Trailor towing?

there is a bloke at my work who passed his class 2 in 1994 and when we were discussing towing trailors with our 7.5 tonner he said he was ok coz he passed before 1997,i questioned it coz i thought you had to pass class 2 before 1/6/90 to gain ce with the 102 restriction,any how he checked his licence and said he has c e with 102 on it,at first he said he could tow it with his pre 1997 c1 e until i explained the 107 to him,so the question is did you get c e with 102 if u passed your class 2 before 1/1/97 or did he get it by chance,or is he telling porkys!!!?

If the driver has passed HGV class 2 or 3 some time ago then it is possible they may have the CE102 which allows them to tow all DRAWBAR trailers with any LGV C or C1 rigid

Without seeing the licence then it would be virtually impossible to determine whether he has CE102 as not all got it on the changeover

If he is relying on the pre 97 C1+E he got free with the car licence then -
INFO SOURCE

Car licences held before 1 January 1997
All drivers who passed a car test before 1 January 1997 retain their existing entitlement to tow trailers until their licence expires. This means they are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM

That means that a pre 97 C1+E cannot legally tow a trailer of more than 750kgs if the LGV being used is 7500kgs

If the LGV has a GVW of say 6000kgs then they can tow a trailer no more than 2250 kgs MAM(GVW)

For vehicles over 3500kgs it is the plated weights that must be added together and not the actual weights

any ideas fellas :slight_smile:

eddster1979:
,so the question is did you get c e with 102 if u passed your class 2 before 1/1/97

That would just give you a modern category C, I believe you’re right with 1/6/90 being the date the CE 102 ended.