Tractors Are They Taking Work

Last night on my way home from work down the A59 coming up one of the hills towards me was a large red farm tractor. Now I know they are not the fastest things in the world but this was slower than normal - no wonder it was hitched to a dolly, which had a big triaxle artic tipping trailer attached. The trailer was loaded to overflowing with carrotts.

I suppose he is NOT running for hire and reward and NOT running on red diesel and NOT running on agricultural road tax.

No wonder the farmer/haulier who I used to work for part time has cut back from 5 trucks to 1 as he says the agricultural work wont pay. Are these tractors and fasttracs just taking the work away from the honest trucker?

Er now let me think long and hard about this, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: right thought about it, of course they kin aint they are just making aliving in a hard industry like the rest of us :unamused:

just testing:
Er now let me think long and hard about this, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: right thought about it, of course they kin aint they are just making aliving in a hard industry like the rest of us :unamused:

Are they hell. THere’s a tractor thats been pulling a tri-axle trailer up and down the A63 for as long as I can remember.

A local TURKEY PROCESSING FACTORY near me uses two tractors to pull twin axle trailers they use to go to farms and collect birds.

Tractors pay less on fuel, their road tax costs less, they don’t need an operators licence and they’re not subject to drivers hours laws etc and tractor drivers around here are on minimum wage…£2 per hr less than HGV drivers.

THose tractors mentioned are doing a job which should be done by a haulage contractor.

conor so your telling me that if u where the md off the chicken factory and u can
move your chickens for say £50 by tractor. but if u use a haulage company it will cost u £150 which would u use i know which i would use.

So who are going to pay for these lorries? The farmer cant, the supermarket has screwed him down to very tight margins, the supermarket wont, they want as much profit as possible & they are making it out of british agriculture, the public IE YOU & ME yes we will pay for it.

Where are these lorries going to come from? with a tractor it can be used nearly all year so the farmer can justify the cost, but if a lorry was needed it would also have to find work the rest of the year. This will force down hauliers profits further YOUR WAGES?

As long as they are roadworthy & legal it doesnt matter what they do as long as it is conected to the farm.

Conor,
That tractor on the A63 used to pass my house 3 or 4 times a day,with veg for the markets, It runs up to Williamsons at Welton and to Humber Street Market.
I knew someone who drove it for a time, car licence, farm hands wages and no servicing, or expensive fuel costs. Although it isn’t illegal to travel on the dual carriageway it is bloody dangerous at 8am

The other place was Cranswick mill with all the tractor and trailers queuing up to sample and tip.

At least John Scholey put some farming money back into Haulage :stuck_out_tongue: