No wonder work is slack

I was parked in Immingham last night and I counted thirty foriegn tractor units germans,dutch, irish,
as well as a large contingent of east europeans, that was without the complete rigs,when I got up this
morning they were nearly all gone. They were obviously waiting for trailers coming off the ferries
overnight . I realise that our german and dutch cousins work for “proper” wages but it begs the question
what sort of money are the others working for, also they all had massive fuel tanks so they are
running on cheap fuel . My fervent but probably forlorn wish is that our new government will listen
to what is being said and do something to remedy the situation (I wont hold my breath.) I am not saying
this from a racist or jingoistic angle but purely from the thought that we should be protecting our
work and jobs for british hauliers and to save an industry I have been part of for over forty
years as a driver and haulier.Kevmac47

Here roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … swered.htm
they say they will charge them to use our roads

kevmac47:
I was parked in Immingham last night and I counted thirty foriegn tractor units germans,dutch, irish,
as well as a large contingent of east europeans, that was without the complete rigs,when I got up this
morning they were nearly all gone. They were obviously waiting for trailers coming off the ferries
overnight . I realise that our german and dutch cousins work for “proper” wages but it begs the question
what sort of money are the others working for, also they all had massive fuel tanks so they are
running on cheap fuel . My fervent but probably forlorn wish is that our new government will listen
to what is being said and do something to remedy the situation (I wont hold my breath.) I am not saying
this from a racist or jingoistic angle but purely from the thought that we should be protecting our
work and jobs for british hauliers and to save an industry I have been part of for over forty
years as a driver and haulier.Kevmac47

i agree with what he said^^^^^^^^^^

bubsy06:
Here roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … swered.htm
they say they will charge them to use our roads

You gotta hope they don’t keep that promise otherwise it will be more expense for UK hauliers and likely the end of more firms.

An interesting fact these last few years during my weekly travels through Europe is that the nationality sitting in the drivers seat rarely matches the nationality on the number plate and that includes the Dutch and Germans who if they are actually Dutch or German are usually owner drivers.If the government charges other nationalities to enter the UK,use our roads it will not improve your lot one jot.I actually pay in a week in France about £240 just to use their Autoroutes it doesn’t stop me going there,wouldn’t stop me if it was £340.I expect at some time in the future,just like our Goverment apologising for slavery,Europe will apologise for the exploitation of Eastern Europeans as cheap labour.Not a lot we can do about it.

Armagedon:
An interesting fact these last few years during my weekly travels through Europe is that the nationality sitting in the drivers seat rarely matches the nationality on the number plate and that includes the Dutch and Germans who if they are actually Dutch or German are usually owner drivers.If the government charges other nationalities to enter the UK,use our roads it will not improve your lot one jot.I actually pay in a week in France about £240 just to use their Autoroutes it doesn’t stop me going there,wouldn’t stop me if it was £340.I expect at some time in the future,just like our Goverment apologising for slavery,Europe will apologise for the exploitation of Eastern Europeans as cheap labour.Not a lot we can do about it.

AGREED! On my travels in Europe I don’t communicate with the"Irish" boys as they no longer seem to speak English/Irish.
Years ago the English were the poor relations in Europe but at least we knew who were our fellow compatriates when parked up at a Routiers.

strange as the last time i remember the boat arrived around 10 am and discharged fully by 11am so why dissapear early doors ■■

kevmac47:
,when I got up this
morning they were nearly all gone.

Same experience as me, that’s why the boss likes them :wink:

Armagedon:

but you factor these costs into the rates you charge dont you, foreign vehicles in UK pay nothing so can work cheaper than a UK based haulier who has to pay VED on his vehicle. this is unfair competition supported by our own governments who allow it to happen

kevmac47:
we should be protecting our
years as a driver and haulier

Sorry to inform you Kev but that sort of attitude amounts to what is known as ‘protectionism’. You’ve watched manufacturing,supplying and the like drift from the country and now its dawned on you there’s not much left to haul. The suprise you got was not the labels on the goods you’ve bought the last few years but the foreign lorries you see parked up?
Welcome to Europe Kev !!!

ossie:
AGREED! On my travels in Europe I don’t communicate with the"Irish" boys as they no longer seem to speak English/Irish.
Years ago the English were the poor relations in Europe but at least we knew who were our fellow compatriates when parked up at a Routiers.

I had a similar problem last week end. Started talking to a ‘Dutch’ driver parked next to me at Sittensen truck stop and it turned out he was a bloody Englishman who actually lives in Edinburgh! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

And he is a member on here and a nice bloke

Coffeeholic:

ossie:

I had a similar problem last week end. Started talking to a ‘Dutch’ driver parked next to me at Sittensen truck stop and it turned out he was a bloody Englishman who actually lives in Edinburgh! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

And he is a member on here and a nice bloke

That is the problem with Immingham and every other port in the UK, there are so many trucks from companies such as Demeulemeester, Brit European, Van Den Bosch, H&S, Den Hartogh, Koops, Smeets, Dentressangle, Willi Betz, Nijman Zeetank, etc etc etc. all employing British drivers. It reminds me so much of TTZ in Zeebrugge 15 to 20 years ago with all the Brits driving for Bulkhaul, Murfitts, Lewis, etc, etc, etc, when everyone was ■■■■■■■ thieving foreigners. etc, etc, etc.

I am grateful for them as they paid me a proper living wage and also bought decent lorries!

and it wont stop all the time we are part of the union…its called cross trade…where anyone who is part of the union can live and work in another part of the union…what Vosa allowed is cabotage…and the foreigners do not stick to the rules where that is concerned, they are supposed to return to their home country at least once a month, they do not…they contribute nothing to the road network.so i will agree that a road toll for anyone using our roads is a welcome…but how long do we have to wait before we get a fair playing field…i wonder how many foreigners living here, who are resident here, are still driving foreign registered cars ( for over 12 months ) are allowed to get away with it…we have a few in our firm, and lets not forget that the police only have access to the dvla with an english registered vehicle…so if they drive on foreign plates, maybe they have no insurance or MOT…and it is the responsibility of the police and dvla to apprehend these cars and drivers…
We also have the training aspect that brit drivers have to go through…whereas some foreign drivers have only driven a tractor to obtain their hgv licence…its about time we woke up to this so called european union…and pull out…trade is not an issue, but the pound is…it will be the strongest currency in a few months, whilst the rest of the union will be bankrupt, and we wil be asked to contribute to the bail out which is not our concern…what we pay in to this corrupt club, will more or less get us out of debt within a year.

Could’nt agree with you more Truckyboy.

Fly sheet

Funny how it changed from an ‘economic community’ to a ‘union’,Europe that is,not for the better!

Its come a long way from a gang of countries trading together in an easy fashion, what gripes me is what the ■■■■ are RO BG etc doing in it they’ve always been the 3rd world crew to me. its just a bottomless pit of wasted money & the sooner we start pulling away from them the better our economy will become, Cleggs a bit of a Eurocrat though lets hope Cameron keeps him in line over The EU.

Fly sheet

The great cry goes up once again,‘Pull out of Europe and everything in the garden will be rosy again’,sorry,little problem,Europe now owns most of Britain and what the Europeans don’t own the Indians do.Britain owns nothing except an attitude,that might just be the problem.

Armagedon:
Britain owns nothing except an attitude,that might just be the problem.

What problem, work being slack?

Work being slack,is it ■■ on occasions I wish it was but the previous poster was referring to the effect on Britain from Europe.I replied.

Armagedon:
Work being slack,is it ■■ on occasions I wish it was but the previous poster was referring to the effect on Britain from Europe.I replied.

Yeah you qualified his observations !!! :smiley: