Time to act

Just got back from peterboro.Wondering if anyone else heard these rumours.

1. The tgwu are to set up agencies employing drivers from new EU countries paying them £100 a week. 2. A large transport company running blue FH12s + white curtainsiders has been approached by east european drivers offering to work for a pittance.Could this be the beginning of the end of the uk truck driver? :smiling_imp:

The T & G has a declining membership & bank balance, so this plus there contempt for British drivers, don’t forget who tony wheeled out during the fuel dispute, would make this sadly all too easy to believable.

If the TGWU pay driver £100 pounds a week they will paying under the minimum wage and therefore against the law. I’m afraid all we can do is make sure these drivers are paid the minimum wage and maybe inform them what a UK driver gets paid and tell them they could work for similar money if they have the experience. I think there are a lot of scare stories about floods of East European drivers coming here. The same things were said about Spain and Portugal when they joined and although Portugal has a high rate of unemployment and a low average wage, I have not met any Portuguese truck drivers working for British companies, The only one I know working for a UK company runs between Portugal and Britain each week.

i bet “sir bill” is laughing into his champagne… who`s the gaffer of the t&g now?

T&G…tongue and groove :open_mouth:

I’ll let you build your own mental image of the relationship between the union and the government :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Jules

Yesterday in Languard canteen, im tlaking to a bloke I know well, and the roumour is at his firm (a pretty big container outfit) that two training blokes have gone over to Poland, to recruit drivers direct. This firm is a bag of ■■■■■■■■ and always need blokes, so I reckon there might be something in it. I ain naming, because the blokes a mate, and he said he aint 100% sure. There ya go.

Mal.

Hi All,

There is an article in T & D magazine about an agency offering East European drivers lessons in English and providing accomodation for them as well as giving them a 24 hour help line. This agency as only just started recruiting drivers in the last couple of months so how long before the recognised agencies start the same thing? The article says they have between 2000 and 3000 applications to sort through. Is this the start of the flood?

Westie

Think of a job that our friends from other countries refuse to do for any amount of money.

Have you thought yet ?

Yes - it took all of 2 seconds to come up with the answer. None.

It will happen.

The only good thing is that on £100 a week, they won’t be able to afford food at M.S.A’s.
Then again, our stupid Government will give them a food and clothing allowance.

• £3000 to buy a car (how do you think the (zb)already here have money to buy cars?)…■■■■■■■■ wont have insurance though!

heehee…learning to get past mary whitehouse :laughing:

edited for racist content mrs mix

what galls me about this is that not a jot will be done about it . in another few years all these moaners will be saying i wish we had stood up for our selves/industry and done something… and before any one says well what would you do terry… my answer is (i dont know).but summik should be done to protect our jobs…
and it isnt just jobs is it… the list is endless. homes ,schools,benefits…etc etc etc …christ man our country isnt our own any more… doesnt the government want to clear the backlog of homeless british people before giving away houses to people from foreign places.
this is far more deep rooted than just a few thousand drivers invading the place…
but you sack mr b…liar and the next one is just as bad…
answers on a post card please : :question: :question: :question: :

I do hope that the rumour about T&G is true. I can’t wait to see the stampede of lawyers (the only people to have benefitted from this Government) hauling the T&G into every Court in the land.
As someone has already mentioned, there is the minimum wage issue. As these people will not be indiginous, how about Race Relations Act? Thing of the farce that occorred at Ford. How about Racketerring? If there are any women among them, ■■■ Equality.
Anyone think of anymore?? Could be fun. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

If I cannot get work at my agency because it has been given to a Eastern EU citizen prepared to work for nowt I’ll be shouting “DISCRIMINATION” as loud as I can and kicking up the biggest fuss that Hull will ever have seen. It’ll be on the radio, in the papers, anywhere where I can get someone to listen.

I am gonna bump this just because its the topic of the moment!!

kentman:
Just got back from peterboro.Wondering if anyone else heard these rumours.

1. The tgwu are to set up agencies employing drivers from new EU countries paying them £100 a week. 2. A large transport company running blue FH12s + white curtainsiders has been approached by east european drivers offering to work for a pittance.Could this be the beginning of the end of the uk truck driver? :smiling_imp:

You’ve got it all wrong kentman, its actually 100 pennies a week but they get a free bowl of gravel every day although they have to pay for their own diesel. Oh, and the moon is made of cheese. [zb].

Edited for mild personal attack - sorry, but rules is rules…L. :wink:

ohterry555:
… doesnt the government want to clear the backlog of homeless british people

Evidently not. My children and I were made homeless three months ago, and we’re still waiting …In the meantime, I’ll just keep working a 65 hour week and manage by myself.