Tractors and trailers

Why do the main roads appear to be getting more cluttered with these things?

I followed this one for four miles on monday on the A49 in Shropshire,he went by numerous lay by’s,he was carrying on oblivious to the queue behind him. I turned off in Craven Arms,goodness knows how far he carried on with complete disregard to other road users.
Cheers Dave.
PS. My passenger took the pic.

because its summer and thats when they are more active. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

A lot of the new bigger ones are quite fast, so a lot of the jobs they used a lorry for, they now use a bloody tractor and it wants stoping. :imp:

Harvest.

Why dont they use the ■■■■■■■ fields, thats what they were designed for

when i had that pile of crap 105 daf a tractor beat it away from the roadabout and i was empty :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

The bits that annoy me are they never seem to pull over anymore and what the o.p. said; they used to stick to country roads but now you see more on big main roads, 20-25 where you’d normally be doing 50 isn’t funny when you’re in a hurry!

Fair enough though, they’re only doing their job.

Did i read somewhere years ago that they are supposed to pull over if there is 10 or more vehicles following and they were doing less that 25mph? Probably not!!

Yep, think that’s what it said in the theory test. Don’t think it’s a law as such though.

waddy640:

Because its harvest time :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

altitude:
A lot of the new bigger ones are quite fast, so a lot of the jobs they used a lorry for, they now use a bloody tractor and it wants stoping. :imp:

Too bloody right, you’d be supprised how many farmers agree with your comment. They are bringing the end of red diesel about quicker, and the prospect of tougher legislation.

Actrosman:
Did i read somewhere years ago that they are supposed to pull over if there is 10 or more vehicles following and they were doing less that 25mph? Probably not!!

Its actually 7 or more, and some of us do still pull over on long runs, but on some of the runs we do there is no where safe to pull over and the distance is only a couple of miles so easier to get to the field and out of the way than try and pull over

By the way the actual speed limit for most tractors is only 20 mph.

Henrys cat:

waddy640:

altitude:

Too bloody right, you’d be supprised how many farmers agree with your comment. They are bringing the end of red diesel about quicker, and the prospect of tougher legislation.

Actrosman:

Its actually 7 or more, and some of us do still pull over on long runs, but on some of the runs we do there is no where safe to pull over and the distance is only a couple of miles so easier to get to the field and out of the way than try and pull over

Most of the tractors I see are doing 35 mph. They run on rebated fuel,no tax,no LGV licence to drive them,no six weekly checks or annual test.They don’t need an operators licence. A lot aren’t doing agricultural work. They are doing well over a 100 miles on the road daily on potatoes and straw harvest.It’s a complete farce and not a level playing field for operators running lorries. It’s high time the ministry of transport brought in some legislation to stop this.

I seem to remember if things haven’t changed, that a bloody tractor pays a lower road tax than a truck, but it’s limited to a certain amount of miles a year, from what’s going on around where I live, they are running there grain 30 odd miles rather than pay for a truck to do it, it’s illegal but the poor old farmers with there new tractors and new Range Rovers, are very hard up, we have to feel sorry for them… have you ever seen a farmer on a bike? :open_mouth:

Dave the Renegade:

Henrys cat:

waddy640:

altitude:

Actrosman:

Most of the tractors I see are doing 35 mph. They run on rebated fuel,no tax,no LGV licence to drive them,no six weekly checks or annual test.They don’t need an operators licence. A lot aren’t doing agricultural work. They are doing well over a 100 miles on the road daily on potatoes and straw harvest.It’s a complete farce and not a level playing field for operators running lorries. It’s high time the ministry of transport brought in some legislation to stop this.

You got there before me Dave :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers

John.

FROM HERE
:
Don’t Hold Up Traffic, Police Urge Tractor Drivers
Police in Herefordshire are issuing a plea to tractor drivers in the county to pull over, where safe, if they have a queue of vehicles behind them, following a number of complaints from irate motorists of delays caused by slow-moving agricultural vehicles failing to yield.

Sgt Tony Jones, from the Road Policing Team based at Hereford Police Station, said a number of people had contacted West Mercia Police over the issue recently and now was a good time to remind all drivers of tractors and other slow-moving vehicles of the need to comply with the law in respect of driving without due consideration for other road users.

Sgt Jones said: “A few tractor drivers will travel slowly along main roads, towing long, laden trailers and not give other vehicles the opportunity to pass. This causes a long snake of cars behind the tractor. Driver frustration then sets in, making impatient car drivers take extreme risks trying to overtake.”

“The police recommendation to slow-moving vehicles is to pull over, where it safe to do so, when you have six or more vehicles behind you.”

Tractors drivers are urged not to pull over where there are double solid white lines and would mean passing cars crossing those lines. Common sense should be the order of the day.

“Some staff on farms who drive tractors, particularly migrant workers from overseas, may be unaware that failure to pull over when you have a long queue of traffic behind you could constitute an offence of inconsiderate driving,” said Sgt Jones.

“The offence could earn you 3 to 9 points on your licence and a fine of up to £5,000. We would urge farm owners to ensure that that staff are aware of the law and they should pull over where necessary and safe to do so. A little consideration for others goes a long way.”

altitude:
I seem to remember if things haven’t changed, that a bloody tractor pays a lower road tax than a truck, but it’s limited to a certain amount of miles a year, from what’s going on around where I live, they are running there grain 30 odd miles rather than pay for a truck to do it, it’s illegal but the poor old farmers with there new tractors and new Range Rovers, are very hard up, we have to feel sorry for them… have you ever seen a farmer on a bike? :open_mouth:

Current road tax for an agricultural machine is zero :smiley:

Dave the Renegade:

Alot of the tractors are now 50k, something my boss won’t buy, 40k is fast enough on the hills we have around here. Yes alot of it is a farce, I can guarrentee you that our stuff has regular checks ( I should know cos I do them, and we run a money no object system to road going tackle) We only run on agri work, and have started to use lorries for some of the longer hauls. The legislation is already in place it just needs enforcing. There are occasional token days of enforcement, but not enough.

ROG:

FROM HERE
:
Don’t Hold Up Traffic, Police Urge Tractor Drivers
Police in Herefordshire are issuing a plea to tractor drivers in the county to pull over, where safe, if they have a queue of vehicles behind them, following a number of complaints from irate motorists of delays caused by slow-moving agricultural vehicles failing to yield.

Sgt Tony Jones, from the Road Policing Team based at Hereford Police Station, said a number of people had contacted West Mercia Police over the issue recently and now was a good time to remind all drivers of tractors and other slow-moving vehicles of the need to comply with the law in respect of driving without due consideration for other road users.

Sgt Jones said: “A few tractor drivers will travel slowly along main roads, towing long, laden trailers and not give other vehicles the opportunity to pass. This causes a long snake of cars behind the tractor. Driver frustration then sets in, making impatient car drivers take extreme risks trying to overtake.”

“The police recommendation to slow-moving vehicles is to pull over, where it safe to do so, when you have six or more vehicles behind you.”

Tractors drivers are urged not to pull over where there are double solid white lines and would mean passing cars crossing those lines. Common sense should be the order of the day.
“Some staff on farms who drive tractors, particularly migrant workers from overseas, may be unaware that failure to pull over when you have a long queue of traffic behind you could constitute an offence of inconsiderate driving,” said Sgt Jones.

“The offence could earn you 3 to 9 points on your licence and a fine of up to £5,000. We would urge farm owners to ensure that that staff are aware of the law and they should pull over where necessary and safe to do so. A little consideration for others goes a long way.”

Some of us try our best Rog, but after a telling off from Notts police for using a bus stop its hard to find somewhere sometimes, should be common sence from all parties

ROG:
… This causes a long snake of cars behind the tractor. Driver frustration then sets in, making impatient car drivers take extreme risks trying to overtake."…

…“Some staff on farms who drive tractors, particularly migrant workers from overseas, may be unaware that failure to pull over when you have a long queue of traffic behind you could constitute an offence of inconsiderate driving,” said Sgt Jones.
quote]

Point 1: Does that not apply to the 40mph limit on ‘A’ roads too?? Impatient and frustrated car drivers taking risks?

Point 2: Why would a migrant worker be bothered? Plod doesn’t enforce EU tacho laws properly for foreign truckers as they don’t bother turning up in court. Are the workers likely to? Probably not.

It doesn’t only happen to be tractors either. I got stuck today behind a bus on the A52 from Bingham toward Grantham for 2 miles at 30mph! Whats that about? He got some serious horn when he pulled off. :smiling_imp:

Henrys cat:

altitude:

Current road tax for an agricultural machine is zero :smiley:

Dave the Renegade:

Alot of the tractors are now 50k, something my boss won’t buy, 40k is fast enough on the hills we have around here. Yes alot of it is a farce, I can guarrentee you that our stuff has regular checks ( I should know cos I do them, and we run a money no object system to road going tackle) We only run on agri work, and have started to use lorries for some of the longer hauls. The legislation is already in place it just needs enforcing. There are occasional token days of enforcement, but not enough.

Hi Steve
Know what your saying, I’m not saying the tractors are dodgy in any way and not checked, ( I will go as far as to say from what I have seen a lot of them are grossly overloaded ) and that’s not hard to see, unless you are a policeman, for some reson they can only pull trucks, it’s just a case of a haulier can’t compete he has to pay all the time and stay legal. As Dave said it’s not a leval playing field.cheers John.

1HGV not required . 2 NO O licence .NO MOT. RED deisel. saves farmers a lot of money.