Top 3 18-Tonne Curtainsiders

Hi-didly-i

We are currently looking to buy an 18-Tonne Curtainsider, sleeper. Kind of in a quandry as to which to get.
If members would be kind enough to supply their top 3,or just their favourite that would really help.

Thanks members

I’d have thought an Volvo FM would be a fair bet, decent enough cab and a nice drive. FH cab is bigger but seems a bit OTT for an 18 tonner.

My top three would be
DAF65 with a 9lt engine & space cab if on distance
Scania also with a 9lt engine
Atago not sure on their engine size
and i can tell you from experience that a 6/7 lt engine is no use or orniment

Or have a look around the auction houses, pick a good unit up and have the chassis stretched before putting a body on it, SSC 510 sir :laughing:

does it cost much to stretch the chassis ?

vinnyl:

It will not be too prohibitive, we did it to caravan transporters when I was a lot younger, stretched and beavertailed them before fitting the winch, ramps and body

vinnyl:

I bought a cancelled order from Scania with a 5.4m wheelbase when ideally we need 5.9m. It was too good a deal to turn down. I enquired about stretching it and was quoted £1100 which I didn’t think was too bad.

As it was, I just put a smaller body onto it which makes it a lot easier when manouvering as it spends a lot of its time in London.

I’d say scania or Volvo, both seem very reliable, comfortable and a nice drive. Couldn’t comment on specific models. Daf cf would be my next choice, 6gears for city work - 8 for longer runs.

It’s fair to say there are plenty of stretch conversions around so cost is maybe not too bad, usually they are 6x2 tag units converted to a nice powerful 26 tonne rigid (my current drive) or 6x2 twin steers converted to an 8x2 rigid with a tag axle fitted. Finding a good used rigid for heavy duty work is very difficult, good ex fleet units are ten a penny usually with a half decent cab and probably a greater number of Kms racked up on long runs.

So there is some merit to the idea, however do your eally need a 420hp 18 tonner? smaller engine units are out there but less common and may have to work harder to pull the weight.

If you do look into the stretch option just be mindful of the fact that everything needs to be cut and joined or relaced by longers cables and lines. I’ve had a fair share of ABS gremlins that are difficult to get sorted, OK so it’s done a few years but I cant help but wonder if something somewhere relates back to its cut and shut.

Our next vehicle should it ever get ordered will be a factory built rigid.

but on the other hand, he needs 18t atm so a 230hp dafcf low roof sleeper will do the job, but say in 6mths time, the job changes he now needs a wag+drag unit that can go to 30t+ which is also out 4 nights a week, which means it all need a 400hp+ dafcf space cab or a xfssc, which means he needs to buy another truck and get rid of the 18tonner. as a 230hp engine would be underpowered

the other way is
he buy a 6x2 daf xfssc 430 gets it streached and it can carry 23t+ if needed, so the truck is now ott for the currant job in hand, same thing again 6mth time he now need a wag+drag unit that can carry 30t+ and can also do 4night a wk, it now means all it needs tow hitch and a drawbar trailer.

thats just purely an example
but if i knew what was going to happen in the future i know which way i’d go

hi there
I currently drive a eurocargo 18t I know there are some horror stories about them but we have had this for about 4 wks its on an 06 and had 180k when we got it £19975. it has a 26’ box and a high sleeper cab. I am just under 6’ and can stand up on the bed to get dressed. Despite the lack of power points it drives well and pulls like a train, and would get my recommendation. :smiley:

first thing I would do is find out which dealers are in your area. and if they have a good or bad reputation

We run a CF65 with a 250hp engine. Its got a sleeper cab and a manual 6 speed. We havent had any major problems with it so far and its a good truck. The cab is roomy and perfect for the odd night away but if you are spending a few nights a week out then the space cab version would be better.
Dennis’s point about dealer location is a very good point. You dont want to be travelling miles for servicing etc.

We run several Renault Premium 18tonners with 28ft Curtainside bodies. Have had them for 7 years now working every day on store deliveries and no problems, just added another one a couple of months ago. Well worth a look.

8wheels:
It’s fair to say there are plenty of stretch conversions around so cost is maybe not too bad, usually they are 6x2 tag units converted to a nice powerful 26 tonne rigid (my current drive) or 6x2 twin steers converted to an 8x2 rigid with a tag axle fitted. Finding a good used rigid for heavy duty work is very difficult, good ex fleet units are ten a penny usually with a half decent cab and probably a greater number of Kms racked up on long runs.

So there is some merit to the idea, however do your eally need a 420hp 18 tonner? smaller engine units are out there but less common and may have to work harder to pull the weight.

If you do look into the stretch option just be mindful of the fact that everything needs to be cut and joined or relaced by longers cables and lines. I’ve had a fair share of ABS gremlins that are difficult to get sorted, OK so it’s done a few years but I cant help but wonder if something somewhere relates back to its cut and shut.

Our next vehicle should it ever get ordered will be a factory built rigid.

I think you have a fair point about gremlins, especially with CANbus and ABS on modern trucks, the deciding factor in our conversions was the length of available propshaft, we did cut some and rewelded them but the balancing could be problematic. In later years we bought standard length props and an extra centre bearing and extended the chassis to that length. Wiring was simple with a Rubbolite junction 8 and once they invented Wade couplings we could do one in about 3 days.

In the newer models the 18t Merc is now an Axor, Atego goes up to 16t only, now my recommendation depend on what you’re using it for, if they’re going to be running at max weight all the time then you’re going to want a bigger engine and more than a 6spd box, if you’re running light then anything over 200hp will be more than enough, same applies to the 6spd box, it’ll cope well enough with lighter loads.

I’ve sold Mercs and put them into fleets with Volvos and Scanias and they’re more than capable of competing with them, so my number one would be the Merc, for heavy work I’d go with a high cab 1824 with an 8spd box and an 8 tonne front axle, lighter work I’d stay with the 1824 and drop the heavy duty front axle, second would be the equivalent Daf CF, the decider for me would be the local dealer, there are good and bad in any network.