time to move on

looks very much like i’ll be looking for some new work after christmas, been hearing all sorts of romours in the steel works over the last few weeks about this n that but it now looks highly unlikely me or the other subbies will be going back in the new year, basicaly theres not going to be anywhere near enough work for any of us with the order books for the start of the year, flat empty.
at the mo i hav’nt got a clue what i’ll be doing but hopefully i’ll find something other than boxes to keep busy with.

Sorry to hear that Paul.

They’re leaving it bit late with giving you info aren’t they?

Could you not ride it out & if the other subbies
leave then there may be enough to keep you going?

Not the news you wanna hear just before xmas

well it’s just a knock on from what the steel works are doing with the firm i sub off, all haulage contracts are up at the end of december, a decision on who gets what, has been put off while march and all they’ll say is that they’ll try and keep everyone going until then, but stocksbridge rolling mill shuts down for good today and that alone has kept 6-7 wagons busy all day every day for the last year, on top of that, the brightbar which i’ve always done is at an all time low with mass redundancies at both rotherham and wednesbury plants this week. so it looks as though the firm will do well to keep their own wagons rolling, let alone any subbies, obviously they’ve been hopeing for the last couple of months that they’d be given some good work to replace what they’re loosing but up to now thats not been forth coming.
maybe come march/april time when it’s all sorted out there’ll be some work for me with whoever gets the nod but as you know you’ve got to be busy to make any job pay, so it looks like finding something else at least in the short term, the one good thing is, i’m on sixty days and have got two good months money to come.

sorry to here that paul espsecially as they asked you to put an artic on the road as for work try some of the traction firms outta imingham also i know celsiust first at grimsby use subbies they were called frigoscandia also acs&t in grimsby

thanks for that mate, i’ve actually spoke to a firm based at goole today who do a lot of flatbed work out of hull and on the face of it, the rates don’t seem bad at all, so might well give that a whirl after christmas.
i’m glad i went onto artic now as i’d have been left high n dry with a rigid!

Sorry to hear your news paul and
good luck finding some work :smiley: