Till'y Puig, Spain

Hi, just found this site from the owner of a truckstop in Goole!!
does anyone remember Tillys restaraunt in Puig Spain? i have spoken to many drivers but no one seems to have heard of it.
I used to stop there regularly throughout the late eighties/ early ninties.
Also Campogaliano in Italy…where we would have B.B.Q’s at the weekend. i was working for a German company called Heggerman International at the time and re-loaded bloody tiles from Modena.
Thanks Smudge. :confused:

welcome to the madhouse smudge
sorry don’t know of the place you mean but there are so many decent places in spain its hard to remember them all

yes i remember it ,stopped there many times when waiting for reload address for oranges back in the good old days when u could load oranges on a tilt. was run by tilly, a yorkshire lass and her spanish husband ( manuel, i think his name was) was ok but remember getting truck broke into twice. on the plus side tho i remember the garage nearby that had a pay phone outside it for some reason if u put a ten peseta coin in ( think it was ten) u could speak to anyone in the uk for as long as u wanted.this was mid eighties pre mobile phones, happy days :sunglasses:

it has been descussed on here in the past, one thread here I think Solstore drivers used to use it a lot

I was a bit of a regular there in the mid to late 80’s, I remember quite a few regulars filling their cabs with giant catering tins of Heinz beans ans various other supplies for Tilly, she’d give them the cash and a free breakfast which didn’t seem much to me for sleeping in a cab filled with beans for three nights on the way down. Needless to say I declined when asked to do a supply run.

I also remember very well the sickening ‘thing’ on her back that needed surgical intervention!!!

I did have a good few weekends there though, lots of the regulars used to stop there back in the day.

Ross.

Hi, thanks for the welcome and replies. yes the good old days indeed…although no one remembers the two days you were stuck up some mountain for two days waiting to re-load on your own ha ha.
Worked for Solstor subbying for a number of years as well, a good firm back in the day, very easy work and plenty of time to yourself.
I work for an Irish company now…a bit like the old days, still running the A roads to avoid Vosa!! got to keep the adrenalin going somehow. :smiley:

i always thought she was from salford

I think she was from Leeds, can’t be a hundred per cent though…she was definately female…i think. :slight_smile:

i was sat in the bar at tillys watching east german students slowly dismantling the berlin wall one saturday night.the soldiers just stood back watching,it was quiet a cause for celebration as you can imagine :smiley: .must have been 1989/90.the next day they had their local version of the pamplona bull run with much tamer younger beasts.me and a few fellow brits joined in for the 1st 100 yds untill we were all on the point of cardiac arrest and dived into tha 1st bar well before any bovine critters had the chance to catch up.one of the most memorable weekendings i had.at the time none of us realised that we were lucky to experiance this kind of fun times on the road,cos it dont happen today :frowning:

You may be right Europleb, in the eighties and nineties you could just walk from one job to another as most people didn’t want to go abroad. you didn’t realise at the time how easy it was with no one on your back, just a couple of phone calls a week. hindsight is a wonderful thing and yes we did have some fantastic times and met some really nice people on the way.
We are strting to go abroad again this year Spain/Potugal and denmark so it should be interesting to see the changes as not been out since 2003.

smudge123:
I think she was from Leeds, can’t be a hundred per cent though…she was definately female…i think. :slight_smile:

Hmm, you may be right, I didn’t look that closely TBH lol
I to have had a couple of good nights there, back in ‘the days’ lol :laughing: :sunglasses:

Are you saying she wasn’t attractive then?? lol

I used to use it if I was down that way,but got broken into twice whilst parked on the bit of waste ground as you enter Puig. In the end I dtarted using the other resteraunt near the beach that was Belgian owned.There was also a Hostal on the corner of the terrace Tilleys was in, I spent 2 weekends there as it was cheap and all rooms had showers.

Edit to say, After reading the whole thread through again, Eric is quite right about the phone on the other side of the road outside the garage ,the one in Tilleys was wound up and 10 Pts only lasted 10 seconds.

Just the mention of Tilly’s brings it all back. Waiting for reload nothing to do etc etc… Loved it
great memories, i can see the bar with a few units parked outside in the blazing sun. … Fabulous. :slight_smile:

Not been on this site long myself, but sure is invoking some memories. Till’ys. Had many a weekend waiting for a reload there. Where has the time gone. You talk about tilt trl’s now, & half the drivers nowa days don’t know what they are. Still a curtainsider is nice,lol.

That big thing on her back that bigr250 talked about, Tilly had the best pain/itch relief for it she would get a spoon out of the cutlery tray and massage it and then put the spoon back. If I remember rightly her husband was Miguel she met when she was in Manchester

Ah Tilly’s where everyone used to get ■■■■■■ and then have a go at each other in true British fashion ?
Like Kerbut I preferred the Belgians place it was neare the beach a ■■■■ sight quieter and your cab did not get broken in to

Yeah, i remember a driver from Nicholls or Nicholsons a scottish company. The first thing he did was go to the baghouse on the outskirts of Puig…he was out the door before applying his handbrake every time!!went with him once…just for a drink you understand!!
Smudge “itchy bits” 123.