Tidy Old BMC

By whiplash_012 at 2010-08-02

These are pictures of an old BMC.It was holed up in a shed near Dublin,late 60s/early 70s.Would anyone have a more definitive time frame for it?Tried the dvla reg data base,no joy.Seems to be an old Belfast(or Antrim) reg.
After being laid up for all these years she fired up first time,only a fresh battery was required.Amazing.Hope the current owner doesn`t leave her to rot outside.

I recall these and the smaller three penny bit lighter model in the late 60s and early 70s not sure if that is any help, fred

With it having the BL badge it would date from around 1969/1971, the Terriers replaced them. Originally named the FGK100 (100 cwt = 5 ton) and later rebadged as the 900 FG they were a decent truck, though probably not that comfortable for the driver (not that anyone bothered back then!) some had the 5.1 BMC diesel and the 4 litre petrol was an option, as was a five speed g/box and two speed axle. They were also very light and could carry a six ton payload on a truck weighing under three tons unladen. Lockhart Equipment in Reading used them on the Scotland and other long trips to replace the four cylinder models that they had used previously. Did a few miles in them myself when testing etc.

Pete.

common as muck years ago,they wouldnt turn your head.but look at it now aint they a strange lookin cab !!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I had the misfortune to drive a 900 FG in the early 70’s on my first long distance job. I can say without doubt it is the worst lorry I have ever driven. It was fitted with a fridge body and would do about 50 flat out if you could stand the racket, I used to take a packet of cotton wool with me so I could plug my ears. The engine cover had no insulation on it and in the summer got so hot you couldn’t touch it. The steering wheel position made you look like a preying mantis and with no power assistance you needed muscles like Garth to steer.I did a run from Washington, Co. Durham to Torquay, deserved a medal as big as my chest. The engine finally blew up going through Kirby Stephen and Igot a Commer Commando as a replacement-sheer luxury. The FG was a G-reg 1969 and I drove it about 1975 but even then it was pre-historic.

I drove the 4 cylinder diesel, what a load of rubbish :frowning: glad it was only for a couple of weeks.

night shift bri:
I had the misfortune to drive a 900 FG in the early 70’s on my first long distance job. I can say without doubt it is the worst lorry I have ever driven. It was fitted with a fridge body and would do about 50 flat out if you could stand the racket, I used to take a packet of cotton wool with me so I could plug my ears. The engine cover had no insulation on it and in the summer got so hot you couldn’t touch it. The steering wheel position made you look like a preying mantis and with no power assistance you needed muscles like Garth to steer.I did a run from Washington, Co. Durham to Torquay, deserved a medal as big as my chest. The engine finally blew up going through Kirby Stephen and Igot a Commer Commando as a replacement-sheer luxury. The FG was a G-reg 1969 and I drove it about 1975 but even then it was pre-historic.

A company in Gt. Yarmouth, Hartmann Fibre ( later known as Omnipac ) had a fleet of them through BRS Contracts. I’m pretty sure they were C registrations so it must have been 1965. Although I didn’t work there I knew most of the drivers and they hated them but tolerated them because it was such a good job like most big companies in those days. They would sleep in the back of the van mostly on camp beds, but would have to go in digs if they were fully loaded. The loads they carried were mainly egg trays and food packs and they would retain the warmth from the production line so in the winter it was quite cosy. Several times I have accepted the offer of a brew first thing in the morning on various lorry parks,very welcome but would get worried when the primus stove was first lit and the flames were dangerously close to the load inside the van. It didn’t seem to bother the drivers though, it was common practice. Happy days, regards to all, Haddy Gt. yarmouth.

night shift bri:

A company in Gt. Yarmouth, Hartmann Fibre ( later known as Omnipac ) had a fleet of them through BRS Contracts. I’m pretty sure they were C registrations so it must have been 1965. Although I didn’t work there I knew most of the drivers and they hated them but tolerated them because it was such a good job like most big companies in those days. They would sleep in the back of the van mostly on camp beds, but would have to go in digs if they were fully loaded. The loads they carried were mainly egg trays and food packs and they would retain the warmth from the production line so in the winter it was quite cosy. Several times I have accepted the offer of a brew first thing in the morning on various lorry parks,very welcome but would get worried when the primus stove was first lit and the flames were dangerously close to the load inside the van. It didn’t seem to bother the drivers though, it was common practice. Happy days, regards to all, Haddy Gt. yarmouth.

i’m almost sure the BOI regs were 1970 .

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but the noddy vans that BRS used on their parcel deliveries were based on FG running gear but with BRS own design of cab on them, and they were bloody awful things aswell. Also a lot of the big bakeries used them, Mothers Pride & Sunblest, so they must have had some redeeming features.

They were simple, light, and uncomplicated. You wouldn’t think it to look at one but they were a relatively light vehicle,so could carry a healthy payload.

I remember them too, in fact I helped rebuild an engine while I was still at school, but what a great design they would be today, no doors to open on high street deliveries, no blind-spots with the lower windows. I see a future for them again!

Wheel Nut:
I remember them too, in fact I helped rebuild an engine while I was still at school, but what a great design they would be today, no doors to open on high street deliveries, no blind-spots with the lower windows. I see a future for them again!

Good job your not a vehicle designer today wheelnut!!! regards kevmac47.