Whats this? *rotted out hulk alert!*

Spotted these pics on another forum but nobody knows what this is, or used to be. Its on an old C reg so is a 1966 (I think)

Any ideas, truck fans?

I have called in some help on this :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: and asked Brian Weatherley if he can post it on his blog as he has a multitude of anora… I mean knowledgeable readers :wink: :laughing:

Is (was) it a tesco truck :question: :question:

Its a Austin or a Morris looking a where the badge was above the grill

I couldn’t say why but it looks a bit Commeresque .

:bulb: An old Bedford, judging by the space left by the badge.

I would say a bedford, i only say that as when i was a kid where i lived the estate has a old truck that looked just like that and it happend to be blue and that was a bedford. but may be not. :question:

Old c reg is 1965

looks similar to one of these :question: :question:

I’m sure that it’s a BMC product - either an Austin FF-series, or a Morris-Commercial FF-series - from about 1958 to '61. They both used the same cab.

Cheers! Id googled a few trucks and found an FF too…

Thanks for the help guys!

Right… whos going to restore it? :wink:

It’s an Austin FF K100 5 Tonner. It would have had a petrol engine of 3.99 litres (90bhp) or a diesel engine of 5.1 litres (105bhp). Gross weight was just over 8 tons (I think?). I’ve got a pic of one somewhere, if I can find it I’ll scan it and put it on here.

Tiger.

And here’s another FF; I photographed it in 2007 - it was rotting on a farm by the side of the A605 between Guyhirn and Whittlesey.

Production stopped in 1966/67, I remember clearly the last one we sold as I de waxed and PDI’d it, the FJ model superseded it (for the worse). As said they were available with the 4 litre petrol engine or the 5.1 and 5.7 litre diesels, 4 or 5 speed constant mesh G/box and single or 2 speed axle. Very reliable and at that time they also had the largest windscreen of any UK production lorry.

Pete.

Yes, definitely an Austin/Morris/BMC. I drove one in the 60s and it had a flat floor the diesel engine being tilted to one side - if my memory serves me right. :unamused: :slight_smile:
I was driving for a pylon erection company called James Scott whose head office was in Glasgow but I worked from Donnington Park which was later to re-open as the racing circuit. A fitter there had an XK Jag and he let me race(?) it round the old pre war track which was very narrow and overgrown in places. I didn’t go very fast. :unamused:
They also had 4x4 petrol driven S-Type Bedfords and I often delivered them to sites piggybacked on the 4 wheeler Austin.

is it MR VAINS truck after that foreigner hit it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

VERY RELIABLE?

you have to be joking!!!

used to have to rebuild engines on a monthly basis after they threw the conrod through the side of the block.
Gearboxes were also prone to failure and the brake adjusters were among the least effective ever produced.
Also noisy, tinny and prone to rust… but they had a nice windscreen :laughing:

BMC TRUCKS… gods gift to VOLVO and Scania!

del949:
VERY RELIABLE?

you have to be joking!!!

used to have to rebuild engines on a monthly basis after they threw the conrod through the side of the block.
Gearboxes were also prone to failure and the brake adjusters were among the least effective ever produced.

ooooooooooooooooppppppppppppppppssssssss that looks suspiciously like my “new truck” im getting, gaffer said it was a tad lower spec than my usual but it’s all down to the recession. he’s a good gaffer cos he has upped my night out money by threpence a night to compensate. :laughing: :laughing:

del949:
VERY RELIABLE?

you have to be joking!!!

We never had that many engine or gearbox problems with them in the ten years that I worked on them, new pistons and liners every 3 or 4 years maybe, and the brakes were good once set up to the correct measurements internally though the artic units were a little breathless at 22 tons GTW. Problems REALLY started when the FJ came out . At that time most mass produced trucks, Commer. Ford, Bedford etc were built for a fairly short life span, one of the worse engines was the Perkins P6, we used to keep one in stock ready to swap over quickly when the need arose, which was often!

Pete.

Pete.

We had two at home on Livestock transport, a 1961 5.1 litre and a 1966 D plate 5.7 litre, the engine was originally a Saurer design. The first survived a non-fault head on collision at Harrogate and broke down once on the road coming back from Anglesey, with a fuel feed problem, which was sorted by an O/D pulling in to help, though he had a Commer two-stroke. The D plate fared less well and though was running empty out, it was "fully loaded " heading home, grossing around13 tons, though plating regs rated them at around 11 ton 12 cwt, and this did 3 years before being traded in for a AEC Mercury. The inclined engine version was called a FH140 and the FJ was around from 1964 till 1968,replaced by the similar-ish Laird. The last one I saw working was a 1967 E Plate dropside with a scaffolding company at Heinz Wigan in 1989.