Whats this? *rotted out hulk alert!*

is it a New addition to the wincanton fleet. Tough times call for tough measures.

Goaty:
I couldn’t say why but it looks a bit Commeresque .

:blush:

pecjam23:
Is (was) it a tesco truck :question: :question:

still waiting to tip at an rdc…

It’s Leons next ride. :laughing:

euromat:

pecjam23:

come on tesco aren’t that slow :slight_smile:

I drove a FFK 140 in the sixties with the 5.7 underslung engine with a two speed axle, a very good reliable and powerful lorry ( in those days ) also fast.

commer or a dodge?

delboytwo:

euromat:

pecjam23:

come on tesco aren’t that slow :slight_smile:

LOL!

If you go into the “waiting room” theres probably a skeleton wearing a flat cap and with a very cold vending machine coffee in its bony hand.

A FFK140 was either a Austin or Morris, some just badged as BMC, did drive a Commer Maxiload with a TS3 twostroke also Dodge K series with a Perkins 6354.

The underslung engine was unlikely to be a Rootes TS3 (a horizontally opposed, 3-cylinder, two-stroke diesel) in Dave’s FF (FH) K140 - because BMC had come up with their own underslung engine - an inclined version of their own 5.7 litre (four-stroke) diesel. This enabled the K140 to have a flat floor in the cab.

This picture, and the one I used in the earler post are from the book: “British Lorries 1945 - 1965”.

Lankytim:
Spotted these pics on another forum but nobody knows what this is, or used to be. Its on an old C reg so is a 1966 (I think)

Any ideas, truck fans?

This is what the agency driver is going out in on monday morning :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sheeter:

The underslung engine was unlikely to be a Rootes TS3 (a horizontally opposed, 3-cylinder, two-stroke diesel) in Dave’s FF (FH) K140 - because BMC had come up with their own underslung engine - an inclined version of their own 5.7 litre (four-stroke) diesel. This enabled the K140 to have a flat floor in the cab.

This picture, and the one I used in the earler post are from the book: “British Lorries 1945 - 1965”.

I was refering to the Austin FFK 140 that I drove with the underslung 5.7 engine.
I later drove a Commer Maxiload with a TS3 two stroke engine.
The pic is definately a BMC/Austin/Morris FF series as you say.

We used to dread working on the FHK’s with the inclined engine. To remove the valve cover you had to remove the n/s wheel, undo both the cab mountings (which were often rusted up) and jack the cab up a couple of inches. Then from under the wheel arch you could just ease the cover out between the top of the chassis and the cab base, pistons and liners were worse as to get the head off you first had to extract all the studs from it so that it would come through the “slot” and it was difficult to reach both ends of the head at the same time as you had brake hoses to reach around, plus getting all the filth from the wheel arch in your hair! Sumps were in three pieces and were a job for a contortionist, we used to repair some road sweeper versions for Hampshire County Council and they were worst as they had two steering wheels and two sets of pedals etc so on the nearside you had to remove the brake and clutch master cylinders and pipework before you could get to the engine, I think that my back problems began around that time :laughing: Working on Bedford TK’s was a doddle after that!

Pete.

windrush:
We used to dread working on the FHK’s with the inclined engine. To remove the valve cover you had to remove the n/s wheel, undo both the cab mountings (which were often rusted up) and jack the cab up a couple of inches. Then from under the wheel arch you could just ease the cover out between the top of the chassis and the cab base, pistons and liners were worse as to get the head off you first had to extract all the studs from it so that it would come through the “slot” and it was difficult to reach both ends of the head at the same time as you had brake hoses to reach around, plus getting all the filth from the wheel arch in your hair! Sumps were in three pieces and were a job for a contortionist, we used to repair some road sweeper versions for Hampshire County Council and they were worst as they had two steering wheels and two sets of pedals etc so on the nearside you had to remove the brake and clutch master cylinders and pipework before you could get to the engine, I think that my back problems began around that time :laughing: Working on Bedford TK’s was a doddle after that!

Pete.

I found the FFK to be a much stronger better built lorry than the Bedford TK Pete.
I drove a few four wheeler TK s on tipper work at 14 ton gross, before plating came in, also FFK 140, prefered the FFK at 14 ton ,bigger cab,better visability and more power with 5.7 , better lorry than the TK even the one,s with the 380 engine…
The FFK also had power steering.

I can’t fault you on that score Dave, the BMC was a much underrated truck in my opinion.

Pete.

Well well well, I drove one of these as a tanker for Hartwells oils of Oxford. I started in the middle of that bad winter 1962/3 I had a short wheelbase Thames Trader to start with, little two tank job.With the weather being so bad we were working all hours and I got back one night about 9 0’clock so had to park outside the depot. Came in next morning to find it burnt out! Good job it was outside. Then they gave me the Morris or Austin (B.M.C.) I was made up, seemed like a proper wagon. Loved the high driving position, was a bit bumpy though, had a job to stay in the seat down some of the farm tracks if you were having to catch up a bit of time. :laughing: Fond memories though. I recently made a model of it but waiting for the transfers, (only in 00 gauge, quite tichy) :wink:

The FHK 140 also had a bar just in front of the double passenger seat. My little Cairn Terrier came in the lorry sometimes, he loved putting his front feet on the bar to look out.

I this scrap for the sea.

Of second hands trucks for the Islands

Regards, Bert Wolters

Dave the Renegade:
better lorry than the TK even the one,s with the 380 engine…

I started serving my time in 1971 working mostly on Bedford ‘J’ Models & TK’s and well remember the 330, 466 and later the 500 which was clearly a derivative of the 466 but the 380 escaped me.

Could the 380 be the engine the 466 was developed from?

Ross.

bigr250:

Dave the Renegade:
better lorry than the TK even the one,s with the 380 engine…

I started serving my time in 1971 working mostly on Bedford ‘J’ Models & TK’s and well remember the 330, 466 and later the 500 which was clearly a derivative of the 466 but the 380 escaped me.

Could the 380 be the engine the 466 was developed from?

Ross.

Could be Bigr, Can,t remember if it was a 380 or 381, its a long time ago, also drove a KM with a 466 engine. Drove that for quite a while, that would pull big time. The 500 was called the blue series I think, never had one of those.
Had a lot to do with Bedfords, my Dad drove a J series and a S type with a perkins R6 engine, good moters at a cheap price.