Thinking of Becoming a Driver

I’m 20, and currently working in IT but already considering a career change. I really love driving - people think I’m crazy, but driving on deserted roads at night, sitting in heavy traffic… I enjoy all of it! Hence, the logical course of action seems to be a move into professional driving.

I have a few questions:

1 - I understand I can take my C/C+E tests when I’m 21. However, do companies take on drivers this young? I’ve heard it’s pretty much impossible to find work unless one is over 25… how true is this?

2 - I know I’ll probably have to take a significant pay cut, as I earn a fair bit right now. How much do experienced HGV drivers working maximum hours generally earn? I’ve seen posts from drivers earning £200 a week, and others earning £1000 a week. Does pay really vary that much? If so, is it by region? Or by load? Or company? Or how experienced one is?

3 - What are the trucks like? I understand modern trucks usually have GPS, Air Con and such, but I doubt I’ll get to drive one of those immediately after passing! How bad is my first truck likely to be?

4 - This is a general one… what do the drivers here think of the job itself? I understand it’ll have its ups and downs like any other job, but I’d be interested to hear what you think of life as a driver.

Any other input people can offer would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chris

ChrisA:
I’m 20, and currently working in IT but already considering a career change. I really love driving - people think I’m crazy, but driving on deserted roads at night, sitting in heavy traffic… I enjoy all of it! Hence, the logical course of action seems to be a move into professional driving.

I have a few questions:

1 - I understand I can take my C/C+E tests when I’m 21. However, do companies take on drivers this young? I’ve heard it’s pretty much impossible to find work unless one is over 25… how true is this?

This is not strictly true but typical of most employers, be they agency or direct. There is an avenue called the young driver scheme but few companies operate this and, from my limited knowledge, they will want to get to know you first.

ChrisA:
2 - I know I’ll probably have to take a significant pay cut, as I earn a fair bit right now. How much do experienced HGV drivers working maximum hours generally earn? I’ve seen posts from drivers earning £200 a week, and others earning £1000 a week. Does pay really vary that much? If so, is it by region? Or by load? Or company? Or how experienced one is?

The figures you give are pretty accurate. An average is likely to be between £350 and £500 before deductions. The make up of your pay will depend on several factors e.g. if you are paid hourly, on a salary, or job and finish (day rate). Add into this unsocial hours payments, premium day working (bank holidays) and overtime and peformance related (a bonus dependant on the profitability of the truck), additions for particular types of work(petrol tankers and other hazardous loads), tramping ( out all week sleeping in the truck, the night out money should not be part of your wages they are an allowance to compensate for not having the comforts of home) and you can see there are many, many varients that have to be considered.

ChrisA:
3 - What are the trucks like? I understand modern trucks usually have GPS, Air Con and such, but I doubt I’ll get to drive one of those immediately after passing! How bad is my first truck likely to be?

This is true. In my depot we have a range of vehicles and they vary from very nice (brand new Volvo FH12s)through OK Scanias and Mercs to real dogs (tired, dirty and battered Volvo FL10s). As you’ve guessed you should expect to start in the latter. If you get near the former then count your blessings.

ChrisA:
4 - This is a general one… what do the drivers here think of the job itself? I understand it’ll have its ups and downs like any other job, but I’d be interested to hear what you think of life as a driver.

I love the job. It pays less, per hour than a previous job but I get a good life doing this, less stress, and feel as though I achieve something most days. There are bad days but IMHO the are more than compensated for by the many more good days. If after trying driving you find it’s not for you I doubt you’ll have any difficulty moving onto something else or even back into IT. In any event you’ll know from an informed position if yours is meant to be a life on the road.

Good luck in your choices and welcome to TruckNet UK.

Welcome to Trucknet, ChrisA.

I can’t argue with anything Wiretwister has said except to add, Diesel seems to get into your veins (or something) and no other job seems to satisfy, so beware. I have tried a few career changes (coded welder? for eg) and always come back to driving. Despite all its bad points, the good points far outweigh them, IMHO.

Hi ChrisA. I have to agree with these two. I’m not sure about the less stress bit but if you do a good days work I certinaly feel a sense of satisfaction at the end of the day. Havn’t had that with anything else I’ve done. :wink:

i agree with the others completly.
it can be a funny old life out there but like any other job it has its ups and downs :angry:
as for motors on agy work i have driven most types of rigs from clapped out 7.5t to brand spanking new 44 tonners and for lots of different companies, found some jobs to be a doddle and some where you just think what the hell am i doing here :confused:
get your test out the way then have a punt around the agys its a good start and nice and veried and it gives you a chance to look at different aspects of the job, if you shine for a company on contract it can usually end up in a job offer.
so there you go give it crack you never know it might just be for you
best of luck
chris :sunglasses: