Looking to change career to HGV

Hi Guys

just joined as i’ve been searching through the net for information on HGV driving etc

i’ve been in my current job for nearly 15 years and feel the need for a change, i dont enjoy it anymore and need a fresh challenge/change of direction, i’ve had my car license for 2 years now and i love driving so thinking of going for the HGV license (C+E) i’ve save up approximately half the amount needed and i am applying for a grant which will give me around £200/£300 towards the cost as well.

the only thing that worries me is all i see is agency work and the rate per hour is quite a bit less than i am on at the moment, i want to go to a job where i can earn more money but looking at “what is out there” at the moment gives me a few concerns.

i’m based in Edinburgh and i know there are a couple of places that do the HGV training not too far away from me,i’m thinking it would be a good move but just concerned about getting a job after it, i know i would have to start from the bottom up as a newbie

You be better off staying in your current job unless you want to earn minimum wage in a dead end job working two weeks(70/80 hrs) for £500 and living in a tin box all week.
Get the licence then try part time with the agencies etc because the novelty will soon wear off.
But do not give up a good career job with prospects for this.

I cannot remember the last time I saw a full time perm LGV job advertised …

Get the licences then if you work mon to fri you can legally drive for one day every other weekend :bulb:

hook:
You be better off staying in your current job unless you want to earn minimum wage in a dead end job working two weeks(70/80 hrs) for £500 and living in a tin box all week.
Get the licence then try part time with the agencies etc because the novelty will soon wear off.

+1 the grass is looking a bit like sand at the moment :confused:

This is not the industry to try for a wage increase, I would think again especially before you spend a lot of money on training,

nick2008:

hook:

+1 the grass is looking a bit like sand at the moment :confused:

not sounding too good prospect wise, cheers for the advice guys, i’ll give it a good bit of thought before i make any decision, need to weigh up the pros and cons but just now i’m earning more than most jobs are advertising so could be a wrong move just now.

Cheers

Craig

As many want you to hold the licence for X amount of time then perhaps getting them now to start the clock ticking is an option

ROG:
I cannot remember the last time I saw a full time perm LGV job advertised …

Get the licences then if you work mon to fri you can legally drive for one day every other weekend :bulb:

Here you go…

morrisons.jobs/job.cfm/refer … rce/TALEO/

brados:
This is not the industry to try for a wage increase, I would think again especially before you spend a lot of money on training,

I have to agree on what I’ve seen so far. I paid for my Class2 out of my own pocket, just about to leave a 50+ hour, £3-400 per week farm job to get out on the road where the hours are less and for now, the pounds are much less.

BUT, driving is something I really want to do and my wife works in a well paid job so it’s not such a big hit for us. I prefer job satisfaction over money as long as bills are paid. Many others would disagree with that but its your decision at the end of the day.

Think long and hard about it before jumping ship into the holey raft!

To the original poster.
You know deep down what you want to do.

I was working for the same utilities company since 2005 until recently. It was stressful, making me depressed and affecting my home life. I was earning around 30k.

Fark this I thought. It’s just not worth it. I have no qualifications and started as a temp with said company back in 2005. I just needed out.

I did my class 2 in February and start a full time job tomorrow. I will be on a lot less money but I can’t wait to get started. Also, if you want it badly enough, a job is out there for you. It took me approx 3 weeks to get this job. I have since turned down another 2 (don’t want to sound big headed as I was more surprised than anyone about these offers!)

If like me, you have family and are eligible for benefits and tax credits then do it, claim them! I for one certainly will be after the amount of tax I’ve paid over the years. These bump up earnings a fair bit in my situation.

Anyway. Went off on one a bit there.
If you want it. Do it! Just don’t leave a permanent job for a temporary one.

Good luck.

Will

Im in a similar boat also, I currently work for the prison service and i want out!! (as do most people)
I passed my class 2 back in December paid out of my own pocket also, last few weeks ive been doing some agency work on my days off and enjoying it, money isn’t great but its been the experience i’ve needed as its so difficult to find a job (I have applied for a lot)

I have a job interview on Wednesday for a class 2 full time position, If successful it would only be around a £120 loss on my current wage.

My fingers are crossed!!
:smiley:

thanks guys