The Quest for Overtime

busteredwards:

Winseer:
I’ve heard some tales of Supermarkets

There’s always a fair bit of o/t available at our place (Asda Falkirk) either in the form of full overtime shifts or simply volunteering for another run near the end of a shift.

On the other hand, local general hauliers like John Mitchell etc have drivers parked up after 8 or 9 hours & precious little in the way of overtime.

Same at our place(tesco reading) can do what ever hours you want, I personally do 50-55 hours a week, over 42.5 hours is overtime at 1.5 x hourly rate, also I work a rest day when I can be bothered to, that’s paid at 1.5 x hourly rate

the maoster:

eagerbeaver:
Personally, I think doing overtime is a bit sad.

(Unless you are in financial trouble or saving for something like the daughter’s wedding etc).

Horses for courses mate tbh. I’m a lorry driver, I’m comfortable with the fact that my profession will never bring me riches beyond the dreams of avarice. I do however believe in maximising my own personal earning potential via a vis overtime.

I was in a supermarket the other night and the fella in front of me had his card declined, he didn’t have enough cash to pay for all of his items and so had to pick and choose which ones he was going to keep and which ones he wasn’t. I’m not knocking him for that, life is hard and all about choices. My point being that because I do overtime I’ll never be that fella, if I want something I buy it regardless of the cost. The fact that I work lots of hours affords me that luxury.

I’m not saying for a minute that one way is better than the other, merely I know which way I prefer.

Yep fair point mate. Think I am just fortunate with my current gig. Plus being a celebrity trucker, I get appearance money.

the maoster:
I was in a supermarket the other night and the fella in front of me had his card declined, he didn’t have enough cash to pay for all of his items and so had to pick and choose which ones he was going to keep and which ones he wasn’t. I’m not knocking him for that, life is hard and all about choices. My point being that because I do overtime I’ll never be that fella, if I want something I buy it regardless of the cost. The fact that I work lots of hours affords me that luxury.

Sod that for a game of soldiers. I never do overtime (currently averaging 38 hours per week) unless the company insists - e.g. for DCPC training on a Saturday. I always decline the offer of weekend or overtime working as it would push my earnings over the threshold for Higher Rate (40%) Income tax although the odd Bank Holiday is OK as I generally take it for time off anyway. Leaves me more time to spend my ill-gotten gains :slight_smile:. As for cards being declined - never happens :wink:

Winseer:
Are there any firms left these days where Overtime is plentiful?

One would have thought that “covering on-holiday colleagues on overtime” was a perk of any job.
Not so of course.

Perhaps the expense of getting an agency in where hourly rates will always be rising first in an open-ended labour market - will one day reach such a level that it becomes cheaper to pay a full timer time and a half at around £18ph rather than get a self-employed agency in for £20+ ph to do the same job.

So folks - “Where’s it at?”

I’ve heard some tales of Supermarkets - but not anything involving actual real full time jobs, just agency and contractor work, and self-employed at that.

Are you having a laugh, overtime, is it not enought that most of us work like a coal miner 60 hours or more a week or more

Where else then?

albion:
As maoster says, horses for courses, people that want a varied overtime job come to us; 4 on, 4 off types go elsewhere.

I see your in salford, greater manchester?

tommymanc:

albion:
As maoster says, horses for courses, people that want a varied overtime job come to us; 4 on, 4 off types go elsewhere.

I thought I blasted past him on the A1 on Thursday afternoon.

selby newcomer:

busteredwards:

Winseer:
I’ve heard some tales of Supermarkets

There’s always a fair bit of o/t available at our place (Asda Falkirk) either in the form of full overtime shifts or simply volunteering for another run near the end of a shift.

On the other hand, local general hauliers like John Mitchell etc have drivers parked up after 8 or 9 hours & precious little in the way of overtime.

Same at our place(tesco reading) can do what ever hours you want, I personally do 50-55 hours a week, over 42.5 hours is overtime at 1.5 x hourly rate, also I work a rest day when I can be bothered to, that’s paid at 1.5 x hourly rate

I got a similar tale from ASDA. Couldn’t find out what the actual basic hourly rate was though?! Got quoted £18ph for the overtime, but didn’t even know if that was “sunday overtime @ double bubble” or “regular weekday overtime @ time and a third”… Obviously the latter would have been better for it! £9ph otherwise. :frowning:
]
My local tescos at snodland keeps getting rumoured to “be closing down any time now” for over 5 years… I wonder if that’s all made up to stop people putting in for pay rises there?
I used to get cancelled upon arrival going in there on agency, so wincanskis running the show didn’t do a lot for it in my mind.
Who’s running the show at Reading?

OP Update: “Overtime” would mean you have to have a shorter working week than 48 hours! If you have a 35-40 hour week where you work, then you either have an easy cushy short working week (providing it’s over 3-4 shifts not 5/6) OR you do 48 hours on 35 basic - and get paid 13 hours @ time and a half or whatever.

so my quest concerns

(1) PAID overtime
(2) Actual hours legally bookable week in, week out
(3) No quibble on availability
(4) Basic isn’t anywhere near minimum wage!

the maoster:
Personally I do 5 x 12 hour shifts as I think that is more than enough tbh. I no longer do Saturdays since I got planned for a job that would’ve seen me chasing my arse to get done in 15 hours, and that was after being away 5 nights! Enough is enough.

I do whatever is required, alot of the time that’s maxing the 15s but the other days are often 10 or 11 hrs so the week ends up around 65 hrs. Though this time of year is as usual quiet so march for instance, i didn’t top 55hrs on any week, as I’m salary paid it makes no difference.
I only ever do run in on Saturday, and am allways done by 9am. I do these because then i never get the mad challenge jobs on a Friday as I park and run home Saturday morning, on a week when I want a Friday finish,then it’s usually a steady run, not a challenge job, you scratch my back and all that.

I would be loathed to take anhourly paid job now. Salary is so convenient. If I took hourly paid,then I would want the rate to reflect the hour of the day, not the time on duty. So for instance, basic rate between 8 am and 5pm, then enhanced rate for hours outside of that. If 8 to 5 is normal work time for the office, then any other hour of the day must be considered unsociable.

What has always puzzled me is that in companies where the hours and runs are variable, you get drivers who want maximum hours and all the nights out, and those who dont. Now that’s quite reasonable - the puzzle is that those who don’t moan about those who do earning more than them. When I was on agency I was waiting for a job at White Arrow and one of their drivers was having a right go about someone who supposedly hogged all the nights out. At some point the planner came in and asked if anyone wanted a N.O - The moaner said not a word.

When I was a TM, I knew which was which and it wasn’t hard to keep the 40/50 hour a week guys happy and the max-my-hours guys too. But there was still this undercurrent of dissatisfaction going on.

Winseer:

Tesco Snodland is closing sometime this year, possibly June but don’t quote me on that. All work going in to Dagenham.

Tesco Reading is run by tesco, warehouse & transport. Usual amounts of agency staff as well.

Winseer:
I got a similar tale from ASDA. Couldn’t find out what the actual basic hourly rate was though?! Got quoted £18ph for the overtime, but didn’t even know if that was “sunday overtime @ double bubble” or “regular weekday overtime @ time and a third”… Obviously the latter would have been better for it! £9ph otherwise. :frowning: ]

The overtime rate for a driver at Asda will depend on which shift band he is on when he goes into overtime. There are 3 different basic pay rates- day, back & night shift. There’s no weekend premiums so all days are the same, & it’s a good bit healthier than £9 an hour! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

selby newcomer:
Winseer:

Tesco Snodland is closing sometime this year, possibly June but don’t quote me on that. All work going in to Dagenham.

Tesco Reading is run by tesco, warehouse & transport. Usual amounts of agency staff as well.

thought tesco reading was ran by maritime?

Back in 2014 when I was last at Snodland, we were told that “All the work is going into Dagenham” back THEN. Here we are three years on, and this “imminent closure” still hasn’t happened.
That’s what I was getting at here.

When Reading opened, Weybridge closed down rather promptly on the other hand…

Didcot Tescos are still partnering with Nobbies as far as I know, Reading with Maritime is it? - Snodland with Wincanton, so does that leave K&N with Dagenham and Stobarts with Doncaster? By all means, update me…
I don’t post faux information if I’m just plain out-of-date and wrong intentionally…

Radar19:

tommymanc:

albion:

I thought I blasted past him on the A1 on Thursday afternoon.

Yes and yes. Though we only run vans and 7.5s out of Salford.

busteredwards:

Winseer:
I got a similar tale from ASDA. Couldn’t find out what the actual basic hourly rate was though?! Got quoted £18ph for the overtime, but didn’t even know if that was “sunday overtime @ double bubble” or “regular weekday overtime @ time and a third”… Obviously the latter would have been better for it! £9ph otherwise. :frowning: ]

The overtime rate for a driver at Asda will depend on which shift band he is on when he goes into overtime. There are 3 different basic pay rates- day, back & night shift. There’s no weekend premiums so all days are the same, & it’s a good bit healthier than £9 an hour! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Can you pick your shift as a newbie starting full timer at these places? Are there any actual real shirted full time jobs to be had come to that? There’s plenty of work via TRG at Dagenham for example, but self-employed via a contracting agency isn’t what I have in mind when stepping out of my current full-time job. I’m trying to climb the ladder not fall flat on my face here. :unamused:

tesco goole and doncaster is run by stobart, fenny lock and reading are maritime run if i remember correctly, the rumours been rife for a while that doncaster is too close and move everything to goole, tesco barlbourgh and tesco hatfield are closing aswell but they were tesco ran if i remember rightly

scotstrucker:
tesco goole and doncaster is run by stobart, fenny lock and reading are maritime run if i remember correctly, the rumours been rife for a while that doncaster is too close and move everything to goole, tesco barlbourgh and tesco hatfield are closing aswell but they were tesco ran if i remember rightly

Afaik Google is an ambient/chilled depot. Doncaster receive an awful lot of frozen goods so that’d be a tad problematic for Tesco if it closed.

the maoster:

scotstrucker:

Afaik Google is an ambient/chilled depot. Doncaster receive an awful lot of frozen goods so that’d be a tad problematic for Tesco if it closed.

that was the rumour that was circulating just before xmas, rumour had it they were gonna move it too another site in the south and trunk the trailers too other dc’s for onward delivery

at dagenham, the other RSU building where you take the cardboard for recycling is run by K&N but i think that the main warehouse is Tesco inhouse. as is Thurrock